Notices
Macan 2014-Current

I think I'm going to DIY a clear bra install

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 12:19 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

I see they have the rear bumper/cargo load piece. Porsche techquipment sells the same thing. You should consider that piece as well.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeff968
I see they have the rear bumper/cargo load piece. Porsche techquipment sells the same thing. You should consider that piece as well.
For sure, that area gets scuffed up so much. On my 14 allroad it was pretty messed up.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:16 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Not to discourage you from doing this, but I highly recommend paying a professional for this. I applaud your willingness to want to take this upon yourself and DIY but clear bra is something that takes years and years of experience to do. The Macan hood is one of the more difficult installations to do, although you will "save money" doing it yourself it won't turn out as you hope and will end up costing you the money you invest in the film and materials to do so.

Do some research on local installers and let a pro get it protected, it'll save you money and tons of frustration.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

^i have to agree. I too love to do small stuff myself, but I've seen how difficult a clear bra is to do. I paid good $$ for Expel on my car and it is perfect, absolutely no flaws. Wrapped under hood, took out headlight and wrapped under, same with headlights. I'd say get the kit, sweat putting it on, get pissed when it looks like s*** and the get a profession to do it. That's an extra $400 down the drain.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:28 AM
Daohaus
Instructor

I wont be doing this entirely by myself, I will employ the help of my friend that does wraps for a living so hopefully that'll help
Old 06-29-2016, 02:51 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Daohaus
I wont be doing this entirely by myself, I will employ the help of my friend that does wraps for a living so hopefully that'll help
Well now, that's cheating!
Old 06-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradB
Well now, that's cheating!
LOL true, I'm not a huge gambler so I like to hedge my bet just a little
Old 07-02-2016, 11:40 AM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

i'm interested in your thoughts once you give it a go.

i had my GT4 wrapped by the consensus best company (by the recommendations i received) in South Florida and it took them all day. i couldn't imagine doing this myself.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

LOL true, I'm not a huge gambler so I like to hedge my bet just a little
will do, i've had somethings come up so have to back burner this project for a bit.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:57 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto Armour Inc
I think that is a great idea, I think you should totally try to do the by your self with your friend. Please post a ton of pictures so people can see why to pay a professional to do it.
This is a pretty rude and self-serving post from a Rennlist Sponsor. I would have thought that, as an advertiser on this forum, you would be capable of a little more restraint, understanding and respect. Apparently not.

You could have taken the high road and explained the difficulties of the job. Or suggested pitfalls that even challenge the professionals with this sort of job. You could have used your post as a source of education and enlightenment which would have benefitted YOU and your shop. But no, you use this space to throw a snarky, degrading remark at the OP. Real classy.

The OP clearly makes no claims at being a professional. He is doing his research. He is enlisting the help and coaching of friends. He most certainly can afford to pay someone to do the job. He chooses not to. He wants to learn how to do it himself. There is great satisfaction in that. MORE POWER TO HIM. I wish him success.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Auto Armour Inc
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
This is a pretty rude and self-serving post from a Rennlist Sponsor. I would have thought that, as an advertiser on this forum, you would be capable of a little more restraint, understanding and respect. Apparently not. You could have taken the high road and explained the difficulties of the job. Or suggested pitfalls that even challenge the professionals with this sort of job. You could have used your post as a source of education and enlightenment which would have benefitted YOU and your shop. But no, you use this space to throw a snarky, degrading remark at the OP. Real classy. The OP clearly makes no claims at being a professional. He is doing his research. He is enlisting the help and coaching of friends. He most certainly can afford to pay someone to do the job. He chooses not to. He wants to learn how to do it himself. There is great satisfaction in that. MORE POWER TO HIM. I wish him success.
Honestly it didn't mean to be rude or condescending. Not sure why people always jump to conclusions on forums. This car especially Isn't for amateurs to test on. Even for experienced installers it's very difficult. Sorry if it came out the wrong way. People have already posted how difficult this car is and what the outcome will be if he attempts this on this post and he still is ignoring their professional opinion. I'm all for people trying new things and doing things for them selves. I've tried and failed and succeeded on tons of projects. There seems to be no talking him out of it so I was just simply stating to post pictures and give other forum members his experience after. I've help many forum members and people with DiY clear bra applications. I get calls quite frequently of people attempting this and help them the best I can. My apologies if any one took it the wrong way. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:50 AM
bb430
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see this one. Hopefully the OP would start doing it before his hood gets chipped up.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:58 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

will do, i've had somethings come up so have to back burner this project for a bit.

Don't wait too long. It is never good to go around without protection! :0
Old 07-11-2016, 06:04 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

o/p- Good for you for tackling this job head on. I hope you wrap friend, has film expertise. A wrap is flexible in all direction, while a stone guard is less flexible in a compound curve, as I understand. Be slow and methodical. And of course take pictures.

Auto Armour - I do understand how your post could be misconstrued. Tone is often lost in writing. Good for you for pipping back in and correcting the interpretation.

Quick Reply: I think I'm going to DIY a clear bra install