Macan 2014-Current

Anyone get the roof rails?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Anyone get the roof rails?

Hi, spec-ing out our future Macan. The roof rails look just like the same set on my current Q5. Did anyone get these? And did you have to purchase the cross bars? Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't get them, didn't like the look of them on any Porsche vehicle. I have them on a Tiguan because you can't get without. They are not too noisy but still don't like them.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:40 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I have the rails on mine, in black so you can hardly seem them against the dark blue metallic paint. You don't have to buy the cross bars when you spec the rails, just be aware you can't add the rails later.

One unexpected benefit is that when it's raining, the rails direct water to the front and back of the car and less runs off into the doors when you open them.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:49 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

If you need a roof rack for occasional use only, then consider getting a Thule rack.

You can find the details on the Thule website: Aeroblade ARB53 cross bars, Rapid Traverse Foot Pack 480R, Macan-specific fit kit 1762 available in silver or black, $500 US.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:14 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
You don't have to buy the cross bars when you spec the rails, just be aware you can't add the rails later.
I saw they stated that they have to be factory installed. I'm curious if it is exactly the same setup as the Q5. If so, I'll just keep my Q5 cross bars. I'll have to see them in person. I'll bet they are the same.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:58 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Got the roof rails and the roof rack cross bars. Rails have to be installed at the factory, so I specified that in my order. My Macan is used as a family hauler and utility vehicle (think trips to the local hardware store) so I have to be able to strap 2x4's up there!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 590 Posts

Didn't get them and have not ordered them on my GTS. Looks great without them, can add the Thule system later.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Didn't get them and have not ordered them on my GTS. Looks great without them, can add the Thule system later.
The Thule AeroBlade Edge system consists of cross-bars that are added onto a car that already has rails. If you didn't order rails at the factory, you can't add them later, and the Thule cross-bars won't help you on a rail-less car. http://www.rackoutfitters.com/porsch...of-rack-14-16/

I ordered my GTS with rails in black. They don't look as good as a car without rails, but we wanted the extra utility. We will probably use the Thule cross-bars when we want to put something up on the roof (like bikes or a container).
Old 03-23-2016, 04:03 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 200 Posts

Have the rails in black for my Macan GTS order.

On a Carrara White Met body, they visually take a bit of height out of the vehicle in particular when ordering the blades in body colour.

But I ordered them for the roof rack requirement.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:51 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
The Thule AeroBlade Edge system consists of cross-bars that are added onto a car that already has rails. If you didn't order rails at the factory, you can't add them later, and the Thule cross-bars won't help you on a rail-less car. http://www.rackoutfitters.com/porsch...of-rack-14-16/

I ordered my GTS with rails in black. They don't look as good as a car without rails, but we wanted the extra utility. We will probably use the Thule cross-bars when we want to put something up on the roof (like bikes or a container).

Not true. Thule has options to fit crossbars with out without the factory Porsche roof rails. Look again at the pics on the Rack Outfitters website: http://www.rackoutfitters.com/porsch...of-rack-14-16/ .

Obviously the factory roof rails will allow you to carry more weight, but here is a pic of the Macan with the Thule sans factory rails:
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server31...0.1280.jpg?c=2
Old 03-26-2016, 12:43 AM
clord
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When roof rails are specified on a Macan order the factory adds special reinforcement to the pillars and roof to support any additional roof load that may have to be supported by the rails. That is why they are not retro-fittable after sale.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected.

Another question. If the prices were the same, which would be better, the factory cross bars or the Thule Aero (both designed to work with the factory rails)?
Old 03-26-2016, 09:05 PM
clord
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, Need4S, I have no info on that question.
Anyone?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:49 PM
dmsiceman
Track Day

I would not get anything that clamps to the roof of my Macan. You either want a roof rack or you don't. If you want a roof rack, in my opinion; the only choice is to order the factory installed roof rails. Once you have the rails, you can decide if you want the Porsche cross-bars or another brand.

Personally, I think the roof rails look good. You do not have to install the cross-bars until you need to use them. Depending on the color choice of your Macan, the rails can integrate well into the overall design, because you can order them in black or aluminum. And if you intend to carry a kayak, canoe, SUP, surfboard or skis, you need the roof rack. I would not put bikes on the roof. I would order the trailer hitch, and get a hitch mounted bike carrier. My GTS is Carmine Red, and the black rails go well with the other black accents on the vehicle.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:33 AM
clord
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with the above post. My Turbo is Agate Grey, a dark color, and the only accents are the alu roof rails and alu window trim that, in my opinion, bring out the shapes of the roof and windows. Other than that, I did not order the pano glass roof (to limit weight up high) and appreciated the reinforcement of the roof that came with the roof rail option.

Quick Reply: Anyone get the roof rails?