mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

Not windy
Old 09-11-2015, 04:03 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worn tires are a plausible explanation. I get c 8k miles on my Cayman (excluding track duty, that's a separate set of tires), so 12k on the Macan sounds reasonable, high torque will contribute.

Take a mental note: Will need to check tires in the Macan more frequently, I have now 4k miles on the Macan...
Old 09-15-2015, 11:11 AM
ecpchris
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I would definitely have the suspension checked on the wheel that was clipped at 2 months. Could have a slightly bent control arm or tweaked suspension bit. Your symptoms sound more like suspension than tires. I hope you get it resolved
Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 AM
Enilder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Picked up the Macan from the dealership yesterday. According to the service guys, it was a combination of the tires and the alignment, but they weren't sure which caused which. The tires needed to be replaced at less than 12K miles I feel dumb that I didn't check the tires. Never occurred to me that they'd be so warn in such a short period of time. (Typical wear time for my 997, but unexpected with my wife driving the Macan).

The other complicating part of the story was that the rear driver's side bumper and wheel/tire had been clipped (while the Macan was stationary and the other car was driving slowly) when the car was less than 2 months old. That tire and wheel had to be replaced, but at that time the dealer didn't think that difference in the mileage between the two rears would be an issue. Not sure that it was, but there may have been a subtle suspension issue that contributed to the current issue. Hopefully resolved.
Michelins? I've seen at least 1 other person who had to replace it under

Quick Reply: White-knuckle highway driving on wet road