Macan 2014-Current

N Rated! Yeah right!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Just remember my comments above. The Goodyear Eagle LS-2s on the Q5 in the review above are different than those made for the Macan. Not only does the Macan use staggered sizes front and rear, but the N spec tires of the same nominal size has a different listed tread width and weight. This indicates a different mold, construction, etc. He may well have been just as impressed sticking the N spec LS2's on as the Michelins. In this case N spec makes a big difference.

Another anecdote- I know a development engineer for a big 3 manufacture who was doing tire testing for new car setup. They tested Michelin Pilot Sport 2s in various sizes, including the then current BMW M3 and M5 BMW spec sizes. The M5 tires were significantly larger, but the M3 used a different, stickier compound and sportier construction. They gripped better despite being far narrower, against his expectations. Bottom line once manufactures start tuning tires the name means far less than you'd expect.

Goodyear/ Dunlop is capable of making near best in class tires- Asymmetrics had some of the very best wet performance for their time. Wear rate seems to have fallen slightly behind Michelin recently, but then most performance Michelins tend to harden at half life, so in terms of usable treadlife the gap is probably smaller.
Point noted and valid. Since they came with the car (assuming he bought the car new), they wouldn't have been N rated. Dude,.... you know a lot about tires! Thank you for your contribution into this thread. Seriously!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm confused as to what the complaints are. Porsche cannot possibly offer the exact tire that is perfect for all customers. So they give customers two decent choices: one summer tire for people who are lucky enough to live in regions with nice asphalt. For the rest of us who encounter crummy roads and go off asphalt frequently, all-season tires are indeed the better value. Neither tire is appropriate on the track, on ice, in serious off-road conditions, etc. Doesn't everyone already know this?

You have to buy the tires that are appropriate for your driving circuit and style. Some people actually prefer a harder compound that wears longer -- it makes drifting an AWD car possible. Since Germans started taking away the manual rear handbrake, it's impossible to manually kick out the rear end on tight corners. But with lower grip tires (or low friction surface), a Swedish flick will reposition the car. Harder to do that with sticky tires on clean asphalt.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:10 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Point noted and valid. Since they came with the car (assuming he bought the car new), they wouldn't have been N rated. Dude,.... you know a lot about tires! Thank you for your contribution into this thread. Seriously!
The Dude knows a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff. He is a famous guy. Look him up.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Thank you for your contribution into this thread. Seriously!
You're welcome, happy to share.

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
The Dude knows a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff. He is a famous guy.
Lol. Someone must have forgotten to send me my check.

Quick Reply: N Rated! Yeah right!