Macan 2014-Current

Not Happy - Poor QC/QA

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:34 AM
loptk
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Happy - Poor QC/QA

This is my first post and unfortunately, not a positive report.

I've been driving my Macan for about 4 months. During those periods, I have not really used the back seats as the car is mainly just for me and my fiance. I probably can count how many times they were used - less than 5 times.

Today, I had an occasion to give a ride to two of my friends. We arrived at their destination, said good byes, and they left and closed the door. As the door was closed, I heard a glass-shattering-noise, and of course I jumped out and checked on the door.

Apparently, the red light underneath the door fell off (that's my guess) but since it was still hooked/cabled, it was not completely fallen off. While dangling, as the door was shut, it was smashed into the door frame and shattered into pieces. This is my guess, but I hardly can think of any other way to explain what had happened. Bad glue maybe?

This is really ridiculous and something I've never experienced or expected when I was buying a Porsche. RR / BMW X5 we had never had such a poor quality control. I will be taking my car to a service center tomorrow, hoping for the best. However, I am not sure what their reaction would be. Is this something I should be responsible?

Hope any similar incident does not happen to you guys.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd expect the Porsche dealership to fix it and give you a nice loaner during that time for free...
Old 04-04-2015, 10:56 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
I'd expect the Porsche dealership to fix it and give you a nice loaner during that time for free...
+1 You're about to find out just how good your dealer is, & how likely you are to buy your next car there. Taking your money is the easy part. Keeping customers happy after the sale is what separates the wheat from the chaff. Please report your experience....T
Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Before you drop it off, check other doors to see if they are loose. I am guessing that you have paint chips/scratches from this incident...Suck but can't do much about it at this point.

I'd expect that they handle it for you but you never know...do you just need a replacement part?
Old 04-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course this may not be the cause or reason this happened, but every time I have a stranger in my car - and by stranger I mean someone that doesn't usually use the car - I make it a point to them to shut the door gently. I HATE it when people slam the door so hard the car shakes afterwards. It makes me so mad.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rubik
Of course this may not be the cause or reason this happened, but every time I have a stranger in my car - and by stranger I mean someone that doesn't usually use the car - I make it a point to them to shut the door gently. I HATE it when people slam the door so hard the car shakes afterwards. It makes me so mad.
Or people who just "let go" of the seat belt.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:27 AM
loptk
6th Gear

I stopped by a local service center and they claimed that it was because the person who was exiting miraculously hit the light and made it fall. Anyway since they said they will take care of it and order the parts, I did not bother to dispute. I dont know what they would do for the scratches/chips at the door frame though. Again, hope this does not happen to you guys!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Originally Posted by loptk
I stopped by a local service center and they claimed that it was because the person who was exiting miraculously hit the light and made it fall. Anyway since they said they will take care of it and order the parts, I did not bother to dispute. I dont know what they would do for the scratches/chips at the door frame though. Again, hope this does not happen to you guys!
I guess you were just unlucky...How bad are scratches/chips? If it was slammed hard enough to shatter the lights, I'd expect some dents, etc. Depending on damages, I'd just let it go...
Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loptk
This is my first post and unfortunately, not a positive report.

I've been driving my Macan for about 4 months. During those periods, I have not really used the back seats as the car is mainly just for me and my fiance. I probably can count how many times they were used - less than 5 times.

Today, I had an occasion to give a ride to two of my friends. We arrived at their destination, said good byes, and they left and closed the door. As the door was closed, I heard a glass-shattering-noise, and of course I jumped out and checked on the door.

Apparently, the red light underneath the door fell off (that's my guess) but since it was still hooked/cabled, it was not completely fallen off. While dangling, as the door was shut, it was smashed into the door frame and shattered into pieces. This is my guess, but I hardly can think of any other way to explain what had happened. Bad glue maybe?

This is really ridiculous and something I've never experienced or expected when I was buying a Porsche. RR / BMW X5 we had never had such a poor quality control. I will be taking my car to a service center tomorrow, hoping for the best. However, I am not sure what their reaction would be. Is this something I should be responsible?

Hope any similar incident does not happen to you guys.

I would not consider this to be a Quality Control issue, nor a reason for me to be unhappy or to consider it to be ridiculous if this happened to me.

Of course, you checked the other 3 doors to see if they were loose or for any more ridiculousness, right? if you did, you would have noticed that light assemblies are snap-fit so you can easily pull them out if a bulb dies. No glue.

Sounds like your passenger hit it perfectly.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:32 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Sounds like your passenger hit it perfectly.
Exactly!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 AM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
I would not consider this to be a Quality Control issue, nor a reason for me to be unhappy or to consider it to be ridiculous if this happened to me. Of course, you checked the other 3 doors to see if they were loose or for any more ridiculousness, right? if you did, you would have noticed that light assemblies are snap-fit so you can easily pull them out if a bulb dies. No glue. Sounds like your passenger hit it perfectly.
A similar type of light on my Lexus started popping out each time I closed my driver's door. It also has a snap in mechanism - metal prongs. I simply bent one out a bit to give it a tighter fit and it has never happened again (that was a year ago).
Old 04-17-2015, 11:43 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Intrigued,... I looked at the little red bottom door light in my 958, and Porsche has now "recessed" it in just a little bit. I tried to swipe my shoe across it exiting the back seat, and there is {now} no way to catch it on a shoe or boot toe.

Seems like maybe they had a few customers report that issue, & fixed the door panel design.
=Steve
Old 04-19-2015, 05:27 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Well it's better than two doors on separate occasions popping open, on the highway, as what happened in my previous BMW.

I wouldn't consider it a QC issue, really. It sucks and I'd be bummed out, but variables happen with individual products that don't speak about the companies or products as a whole. How they handle it, is another story.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

I checked it this weekend and it's smack in the middle, and it can get kicked into with the tip of the shoe because it's sitting on the corner the door panel and the door bottom. So the comment that "your passenger hit it perfectly" IMHO is spot on.

Quick Reply: Not Happy - Poor QC/QA