Macan 2014-Current

Turbo now or be practical...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Turbo now or be practical...

And wait for the diesel in about a year?

Or just say "to hell with it" and buy a Cayman S?
Old 02-14-2015, 02:58 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

price of fuel is so cheap might as well enjoy a turbo during these glory days....
Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 AM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are asking, then you want a turbo, if you don't get it, you most likely regret it later
Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Are we really applying an adjective like "practical" to the decision to buy a Porsche? These cars are way beyond "practical" transportation.

Get what you want, and enjoy it.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have another sporty car? If so, get a Diesel. That's what I did, have a Cayman R and the Macan is the more sensible drive. Only one car which needs to tick more boxes, Macan Turbo! On the other hand, colleague got a Macan Turbo despite owning a Nissan GT-R plus a supercharged C6Z06, all cars totalling 1600hp.... Everybody to his liking.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cviles
Are we really applying an adjective like "practical" to the decision to buy a Porsche? These cars are way beyond "practical" transportation.

Get what you want, and enjoy it.
It's all relative!

I've been thinking I was going to get a Cayman S for a while. But the fact is, I'm more of a truck guy. Last time I bought a sports car, I wanted my truck back within 3 months.

Now, I have my pickup and the wife has a Cayenne. If the Macan is, say, 80% sports car, with some truck utility, perhaps it's a smart choice? Ugh, it's not supposed to be this difficult! (Yes, I know this is an ultimate 1st world problem and I'm extremely fortunate to be in the position to make the choice)
Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I really don't see gas staying low for long enough to be a factor in a car decision. If you are buying one of these cars, figure gas is going to be $5 per gallon and that is just the way it goes.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never been crazy about the idea of "a diesel Porsche." It just doesn't sound right. Diesel Mercedes Benz (especially G wagon), a truck, or VW diesel (for economic purposes) is one thing but a Porsche, I don't know.

I only wish they made a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Diesel or imported basic diesel G wagons. Now, that is worth buying!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:21 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I think the modern diesel is a perfect match for the Macan and the Cayenne. The low-end torque is great. For daily driving, it trumps the S version. Diesel is not just about economy -- that aspect is overhyped. It's about everything else.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:14 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would get the Macan Turbo or get an Audi Q5 in Diesel. Not sure you get significant value in the Macan Diesel vs the Q5 given it's the same powertrain in both. Sure you get PDK vs the Audi box but don't think it's enough benefit to spend the extra money.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rubik
I only wish they made a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Diesel ....
By all accounts, this will happen in 2016 (maybe showing up late this year)!

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I would get the Macan Turbo or get an Audi Q5 in Diesel. Not sure you get significant value in the Macan Diesel vs the Q5 given it's the same powertrain in both. Sure you get PDK vs the Audi box but don't think it's enough benefit to spend the extra money.
Drove the Audi and thought it was kind of ho-hum. I'd get a diesel Wrangler over the Q5!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:05 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Drove the Audi and thought it was kind of ho-hum. I'd get a diesel Wrangler over the Q5!
I expect the Macan Diesel to be similar tbh.

I have a Macan Turbo and it's good, but it was over-hyped by the press. It's far less truck than the Cayenne, but it's still a long way from a sports car imo.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:17 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
And wait for the diesel in about a year?

Or just say "to hell with it" and buy a Cayman S?

Who says diesel is practical ??? It may be necessary to improve Porsche's CAFE rating, but it just doesn't make much sense for most vehicle owners, least of all sports car buyers.

If you live in the USA and don't tow a trailer, or drive >50k miles per year, then there's practically no incentive to go diesel. For practically everyone, diesel engine economy advantage is offset by the jacked-up cost for diesel fuel. The PDK transmission nullifies the torque advantage of the diesel engine. Dynamically, there is no contest. With the Macan S, you're already 100hp above what the Euro spec Macan diesel offers. So why wait for an inferior performer?

If you want Porsche performance and the Cayman meets you space needs, then that is the best choice. If the Cayman is too small, then move up a size.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:31 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
Who says diesel is practical ??? It may be necessary to improve Porsche's CAFE rating, but it just doesn't make much sense for most vehicle owners, least of all sports car buyers.

If you live in the USA and don't tow a trailer, or drive >50k miles per year, then there's practically no incentive to go diesel. For practically everyone, diesel engine economy advantage is offset by the jacked-up cost for diesel fuel. The PDK transmission nullifies the torque advantage of the diesel engine. Dynamically, there is no contest. With the Macan S, you're already 100hp above what the Euro spec Macan diesel offers. So why wait for an inferior performer?

If you want Porsche performance and the Cayman meets you space needs, then that is the best choice. If the Cayman is too small, then move up a size.
+1 Also check out how early in the RPM range the Turbo V6's reach maximum Torque. If you really need to save money on gas there are many other cars that cost less to buy and get better mileage. Not as much fun but you will save on gas.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Macan offers significant benefits over a Q5 in the dynamics section. Real word, the Macan S Diesel is almost as quick as the Macan S gasoline. For me the diesel suits the Macan better, but the Macan is not a sports car in my book, just a sporty SUV.

Quick Reply: Turbo now or be practical...