Macan 2014-Current

World Embraces Diesels, Americans Play Hard to Get

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:11 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

OK so here it is IN MY SITUATION....
I replace my daily driver every 3-4 years 4 being the VERY max...

Keep in mind, and I'm assuming here, 90% of you put maybe 1000 miles a month on your cars? I do that in 4 days sometimes in 2-5 states. My current DD I got on 2/20/15 today is 4/9/15 it's got 5912 miles on it as of lunch today, and I'm on Long Island, NY now, heading to Hartford CT tonight, then Boston tomorrow for the night, then home to Portsmouth, NH. By the time I get home it will most likely be at 6400 or so miles. YES I might save 5-8mpg gas vs diesel, but with the miles & lets just say "spirited " I do I'll burn that savings up having to stop and buy DEF fluid. Not to mention that most of you change your oil every 4-6-8 months, I change mine every 5-6 weeks at 5000-6000 intervals.

If you do the math , fuel, MPG, DEF, maintenance, insurance, deprecation, and the 70+K miles a year that I do.... I get better tax deductions and resale on the gas version vs diesel. I would have to keep the diesel vehicle 6+ years in order for that to work, and that just isn't going to happen. I like new , updated, warrantied vehicles.

Now if I got a CDL lic and created a LLC , then I'd be able to also deduct the diesel fuel and DEF costs, but that isn't going to happen.

So for me at the end of 3- 3-1/2 years the fuel savings and depreciation isn't that significant enough for me to move to diesel in a SUV.. again.... for me, NOT everyone else.

Yesssss I know I should be driving something more economical for the miles I do, but with NYC, NY metro, CT, Boston roads, new england weather w/this past year of almost 9' of snow... and people.... I want an SUV that, I can see over traffic, that can go almost anywhere in any weather condition, and when asked haul lower backside with " WOW that was fun" or " did I really just do that?" instant satisfaction. Yes diesels move well, but not instant response at times and higher speeds you have to wait for the steam to build up after you've floored it.I have driving the Cayenne, BMW, Audi, and other diesels in the states, UK, Germany, for a casual driver or daily driver stock is OK, but for me I found more times than not, when doing my usual cruising at 75,80,85,90+ and then stepped on it I had to wait for the turbos to spin up, revs to go from 2500-3K to 4K+ often so fuel savings went right out the tail pipes.

Now... if an SUV that was from Germany, spec'd for germany was allowed here in the states and have Germany performance and not the USA spec'd/detuned diesels.... might be a different conversation on the performance side of the conversation.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
OK so here it is IN MY SITUATION....
I replace my daily driver every 3-4 years 4 being the VERY max...

Keep in mind, and I'm assuming here, 90% of you put maybe 1000 miles a month on your cars? I do that in 4 days sometimes in 2-5 states. My current DD I got on 2/20/15 today is 4/9/15 it's got 5912 miles on it as of lunch today, and I'm on Long Island, NY now, heading to Hartford CT tonight, then Boston tomorrow for the night, then home to Portsmouth, NH. By the time I get home it will most likely be at 6400 or so miles. YES I might save 5-8mpg gas vs diesel, but with the miles & lets just say "spirited " I do I'll burn that savings up having to stop and buy DEF fluid. Not to mention that most of you change your oil every 4-6-8 months, I change mine every 5-6 weeks at 5000-6000 intervals.

If you do the math , fuel, MPG, DEF, maintenance, insurance, deprecation, and the 70+K miles a year that I do.... I get better tax deductions and resale on the gas version vs diesel. I would have to keep the diesel vehicle 6+ years in order for that to work, and that just isn't going to happen. I like new , updated, warrantied vehicles.

Now if I got a CDL lic and created a LLC , then I'd be able to also deduct the diesel fuel and DEF costs, but that isn't going to happen.

So for me at the end of 3- 3-1/2 years the fuel savings and depreciation isn't that significant enough for me to move to diesel in a SUV.. again.... for me, NOT everyone else.

Yesssss I know I should be driving something more economical for the miles I do, but with NYC, NY metro, CT, Boston roads, new england weather w/this past year of almost 9' of snow... and people.... I want an SUV that, I can see over traffic, that can go almost anywhere in any weather condition, and when asked haul lower backside with " WOW that was fun" or " did I really just do that?" instant satisfaction. Yes diesels move well, but not instant response at times and higher speeds you have to wait for the steam to build up after you've floored it.I have driving the Cayenne, BMW, Audi, and other diesels in the states, UK, Germany, for a casual driver or daily driver stock is OK, but for me I found more times than not, when doing my usual cruising at 75,80,85,90+ and then stepped on it I had to wait for the turbos to spin up, revs to go from 2500-3K to 4K+ often so fuel savings went right out the tail pipes.

Now... if an SUV that was from Germany, spec'd for germany was allowed here in the states and have Germany performance and not the USA spec'd/detuned diesels.... might be a different conversation on the performance side of the conversation.
Help me out here. You're saying you can write off the gas fuel but not he diesel fuel for some reason?

Lets be clear the diesel iteration will give 50% better MPG, YOU do the actual math, you're severely underestimating the fuel savings. DEF costs are you kidding me? Buy it at Autozone the cost is negligible. Maintenance and insurance is a wash. Resale? All other things bbeing equal for sure the diesel will be higher, do some research, these engines get 300-400K miles and now that the HPFP issues have been resolved there's very little concern about fuel system failures, look at any iteration out there the resale on the diesel is higher.

I put on 26,500 miles a year for the last 7 years. Believe me if there was a way for me to justify the gas S version over a diesel, I would. And I might still go that way, but it won't be an economic justification.

But I get that it's sometimes a stupid discussion because how we idiosyncratically arrive at our "build" speaks of little economic sensibilities.

I'll spend $2800 on AS to reduce the wheel gap and yet embrace diesel econometrics. Yeah whatever.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:38 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Buckfever
Help me out here. You're saying you can write off the gas fuel but not he diesel fuel for some reason?

Lets be clear the diesel iteration will give 50% better MPG, YOU do the actual math, you're severely underestimating the fuel savings. DEF costs are you kidding me? Buy it at Autozone the cost is negligible. Maintenance and insurance is a wash. Resale? All other things bbeing equal for sure the diesel will be higher, do some research, these engines get 300-400K miles and now that the HPFP issues have been resolved there's very little concern about fuel system failures, look at any iteration out there the resale on the diesel is higher.

I put on 26,500 miles a year for the last 7 years. Believe me if there was a way for me to justify the gas S version over a diesel, I would. And I might still go that way, but it won't be an economic justification.

But I get that it's sometimes a stupid discussion because how we idiosyncratically arrive at our "build" speaks of little economic sensibilities.

I'll spend $2800 on AS to reduce the wheel gap and yet embrace diesel econometrics. Yeah whatever.
I don't ever keep a vehicle past 4yrs, I start the replacement process at 3yrs and it's gone by 3.5-4 years. New England weather, salt, road conditions, kills vehicles quickly.

There is not a 50% savings in fuel between gas and diesel 5500+lb SUV. I'd be willing to bet lunch at Mortons Steakhouse on this..... go to the Porsche dealer put the 5 Cayenne models ( v6 gas, V6 hybrid gas, V6 diesel, V8 turbo and turbo S) side by side(which I did), you will see a 9...yes 9 mpg difference walking between the window stickers...that is 216 mile difference ( 500 vs 716 ) per tank gas vs diesel in prefect conditions mind you, not turning corners causing more tyre friction, not up and down hills, not in stop and go traffic, no a/c or heat on, no electronics drawing power, no wind resistance, etc etc.

Then go to VW line up touaregs, Rover, heck even line up Ford, Chevy, Dodge pickups truck at a dealer. Line up Gas & diesel models again you'll see 8-10 mpg difference Now.... Smaller cars like a VW Jetta,VW Bug, sub-compact gas vs diesel yes you can pull 45-55+ mpg that's driving front wheels or one of the front wheels weighing significantly less..... without a question and get your " 50+%" difference.

I've had both gas and diesel X5s, there was at best a 8mpg difference. I averaged 24mpg, best was 29mpg when I had the 12 BMW x5 35d for the 4mths. ( 29 was driving back from Montreal,CA to Portsmouth, NH down I-89, cruise set to 72-74 mph, mostly down hill). The 4.4 V8 X5 got 21 mpg best & 19 avg. in the X5s I had it was 500 vs 635 miles to a tank of fuel. That isn't "50%" difference. The new Range Rover hybrid diesel gets 28mpg in perfect conditions. Everyone on the rover forums are claiming 24-25mpg average I saw 2 that said they got 29mpg. LR claims 42mpg. Those testing & ratings are done in perfect conditions, either in a climate controlled room on a dyno, or roads flat as a table at sea level elevation, zero stop and go traffic, at a perfect 68F degree, low humility, low to no wind resistance, with no a/c on, no other power draw to the vehicle other than the engine and tranny running.

If I had a CDL, and a company/LLC as a logistics company,I'd be able to write off 78% of the diesel and DEF costs. But I'm not a commercial driver. I work for a large bank that does many of your everyday credit/debt,gift card, loyalty card transactions, for may merchants and online merchants. My sales team does more miles than I do , I chase them around and visit clients with my reps. Company policy is that execs & regional execs don't get company cars, which I think is just dumb. The reps have company Ford fusion & escapes and they get turned in every 150K for new ones yearly.

ANY Personal owned vehicles used for work, are subject to the standard IRS .586 millage rate. ( at that rate that doesn't pay for fuel, tyres, insurance, depreciation, DEF, oil changes, etc) I've been audited more times than I can count because of my millage. and itemization miles vs my car allowance differences, expenses, etc. I've watched my CPA go against the IRS auditors, and they've called in supervisors and gone back and forth about the miles, gas, service, etc that I've done, and proved to them many times via triplogik tracker device and my phone tracker for actual miles, matched everything up to my work calendar and they've always just threw their hands up and said " OK you are good to go" and closed the audit.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Sven76
Pro

Do you talk claimed mpg or real world. Friend of mine has a Macan Turbo, 10mpg on average. I drove recently a Cayenne Diesel and got 21mpg and that was a lot of unrestricted Autobahn. Would hope to get 22-23 mpg with my Macan Diesel when I get it in 4 weeks.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:46 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Sven76
Do you talk claimed mpg or real world. Friend of mine has a Macan Turbo, 10mpg on average. I drove recently a Cayenne Diesel and got 21mpg and that was a lot of unrestricted Autobahn. Would hope to get 22-23 mpg with my Macan Diesel when I get it in 4 weeks.
Also keep in mind.... over here the LOVELY USA Feds... make the oil companies put all sorts of additives in the fuel for emissions BS so we don't get the MPG what others in many countries get.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on your mileage, diesel is the way to go. The fact you want to push it most of the time on the highway, well, that will decrease mpg with the gasser, too. But, since you like to change rides every 3-4 years, then it shouldn't matter what you drive. You could, of course, keep the diesel longer and then be ahead of the game by a lot as the diesel will last longer.

About the additives, etc... you seem like another one of the diesel haters 'round here. That's fine. You like P-cars, and I get it why there's hesitation to even consider diesel. The other stuff about your CPA and the so-called diesel tax, etc...lots of fun to read. Enjoyed it. Good for you that you like to roll like that.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:08 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by fincher
Based on your mileage, diesel is the way to go. The fact you want to push it most of the time on the highway, well, that will decrease mpg with the gasser, too. But, since you like to change rides every 3-4 years, then it shouldn't matter what you drive. You could, of course, keep the diesel longer and then be ahead of the game by a lot as the diesel will last longer.

About the additives, etc... you seem like another one of the diesel haters 'round here. That's fine. You like P-cars, and I get it why there's hesitation to even consider diesel. The other stuff about your CPA and the so-called diesel tax, etc...lots of fun to read. Enjoyed it. Good for you that you like to roll like that.
I do not hate diesel, I liked.. not loved... liked.. my BMW X5 35d, but it was an electrical nightmare and why they took it back after 3 1/2 months of BS. What I have a problem with is that diesel is quicker & cheaper to make, and cleaner ( with DEF system) than gas engines, but costs more than gas at the pumps ??? That's just milking the consumers. I have a friend that has a 10 jetta TDI that pulls 74 mpg out of it. That's great and all, but not for me, he drives at 50-65, I'm flying by him at 85+. I need and want an SUV, for when I'm sitting in NYC and Boston traffic. I hate sitting on the ground in traffic. I drove the Cayenne Diesel, it went a little better than the BMW, but top end was the same, floor it at 80 and wait for the turbos to spin up, yawnnnnn not for me right now. Maybe when I hit my mid 50s I'll be OK with it.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:23 PM
fincher
Racer

Diesel costs more at the pump in the winter. Now, diesel is the same (or less) as premium where I live. I rarely use bio (B5), which costs a little less. If you want to push it when you're at 80+ then the diesel has little torque left. However, 60-75mph is solid and the torque is there when you need it.

I drove round trip from Chicago to Indianapolis and back last weekend. Got 28.5 mpg going 70-75mph. If I cruised at 60-65mph, I would have gotten 31mpg. For daily driving (70% highway), I average 24-27mpg depending on conditions.

BTW, I am 53.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:31 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Diesel costs more at the pump in the winter. Now, diesel is the same (or less) as premium where I live. I rarely use bio (B5), which costs a little less. If you want to push it when you're at 80+ then the diesel has little torque left. However, 60-75mph is solid and the torque is there when you need it.

I drove round trip from Chicago to Indianapolis and back last weekend. Got 28.5 mpg going 70-75mph. If I cruised at 60-65mph, I would have gotten 31mpg. For daily driving (70% highway), I average 24-27mpg depending on conditions.

BTW, I am 53.
Diesel here is always .60-.80 here, and during the high gas prices it was 1-1.30 higher than super unleaded because of state taxes.

and agreed 100% 0-70mph very good power, 75+ yawwwwnn. I'm about to get off the Long Island ferry into LOVELY bridgeport CT, once I'm on the highway, the beast will be opened up and I'll be in the 85-105 range for 2 1/2 hours for 190 miles home.

oh and I just turned 41
Old 04-12-2015, 02:20 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
I don't ever keep a vehicle past 4yrs, I start the replacement process at 3yrs and it's gone by 3.5-4 years. New England weather, salt, road conditions, kills vehicles quickly.

There is not a 50% savings in fuel between gas and diesel 5500+lb SUV. I'd be willing to bet lunch at Mortons Steakhouse on this..... go to the Porsche dealer put the 5 Cayenne models ( v6 gas, V6 hybrid gas, V6 diesel, V8 turbo and turbo S) side by side(which I did), you will see a 9...yes 9 mpg difference walking between the window stickers...that is 216 mile difference ( 500 vs 716 ) per tank gas vs diesel in prefect conditions mind you, not turning corners causing more tyre friction, not up and down hills, not in stop and go traffic, no a/c or heat on, no electronics drawing power, no wind resistance, etc etc.

Then go to VW line up touaregs, Rover, heck even line up Ford, Chevy, Dodge pickups truck at a dealer. Line up Gas & diesel models again you'll see 8-10 mpg difference Now.... Smaller cars like a VW Jetta,VW Bug, sub-compact gas vs diesel yes you can pull 45-55+ mpg that's driving front wheels or one of the front wheels weighing significantly less..... without a question and get your " 50+%" difference.

I've had both gas and diesel X5s, there was at best a 8mpg difference. I averaged 24mpg, best was 29mpg when I had the 12 BMW x5 35d for the 4mths. ( 29 was driving back from Montreal,CA to Portsmouth, NH down I-89, cruise set to 72-74 mph, mostly down hill). The 4.4 V8 X5 got 21 mpg best & 19 avg. in the X5s I had it was 500 vs 635 miles to a tank of fuel. That isn't "50%" difference. The new Range Rover hybrid diesel gets 28mpg in perfect conditions. Everyone on the rover forums are claiming 24-25mpg average I saw 2 that said they got 29mpg. LR claims 42mpg. Those testing & ratings are done in perfect conditions, either in a climate controlled room on a dyno, or roads flat as a table at sea level elevation, zero stop and go traffic, at a perfect 68F degree, low humility, low to no wind resistance, with no a/c on, no other power draw to the vehicle other than the engine and tranny running.

If I had a CDL, and a company/LLC as a logistics company,I'd be able to write off 78% of the diesel and DEF costs. But I'm not a commercial driver. I work for a large bank that does many of your everyday credit/debt,gift card, loyalty card transactions, for may merchants and online merchants. My sales team does more miles than I do , I chase them around and visit clients with my reps. Company policy is that execs & regional execs don't get company cars, which I think is just dumb. The reps have company Ford fusion & escapes and they get turned in every 150K for new ones yearly.

ANY Personal owned vehicles used for work, are subject to the standard IRS .586 millage rate. ( at that rate that doesn't pay for fuel, tyres, insurance, depreciation, DEF, oil changes, etc) I've been audited more times than I can count because of my millage. and itemization miles vs my car allowance differences, expenses, etc. I've watched my CPA go against the IRS auditors, and they've called in supervisors and gone back and forth about the miles, gas, service, etc that I've done, and proved to them many times via triplogik tracker device and my phone tracker for actual miles, matched everything up to my work calendar and they've always just threw their hands up and said " OK you are good to go" and closed the audit.
Okay I was comparing the Macan S to the Macan S diesel version available presently in the UK where they're doing better than 50%. You make a good point though the diesel quality here sucks, so the MPGs might not be so robust here. The other point is that we don't know what they're bringing here as a diesel for the Macan. Latest rumor was a more powerful version than what is presently available xUS which will certainly bring down down the MPGs. We also don't know where they'll slot it in terms of pricing.

Also I don't blame you at all with the position of not keeping it past the extended. These aren't Toyota trucks that have minimal long term reliability problems these are very expensive Xwarranty repairs to the point that fuel saving are rather irrelevant against that backdrop.

The other thing too when you're driving that much you just don't want car schit problems. Most vehicles today irrespective of mileage, is going to be sound out to 4 years. What is that worth? How do you price that into a net present value calculation?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Buckfever
Okay I was comparing the Macan S to the Macan S diesel version available presently in the UK where they're doing better than 50%. You make a good point though the diesel quality here sucks, so the MPGs might not be so robust here. The other point is that we don't know what they're bringing here as a diesel for the Macan. Latest rumor was a more powerful version than what is presently available xUS which will certainly bring down down the MPGs. We also don't know where they'll slot it in terms of pricing.

Also I don't blame you at all with the position of not keeping it past the extended. These aren't Toyota trucks that have minimal long term reliability problems these are very expensive Xwarranty repairs to the point that fuel saving are rather irrelevant against that backdrop.

The other thing too when you're driving that much you just don't want car schit problems. Most vehicles today irrespective of mileage, is going to be sound out to 4 years. What is that worth? How do you price that into a net present value calculation?
We don't have the Macan diesel here yet , also keep in mind France is also making a move away from Diesel engines , and now this report http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/11/c...sel-not-clean/ says the clean diesel really isn't clean. This report is from many major cities around the world BTW... So that throws the 30-40% cleaner than gas engines report I read 18-20 months ago out the window.

Links:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ut-diesel-fuel ( this one has the best subject line " Days Numbered For Dirtiest Diesels In Europe; France To Phase Out Diesel Fuel"

“In France, we have long favored the diesel engine. This was a mistake, and we will progressively undo that, intelligently and pragmatically,” Valls was quoted as saying. "
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/01/f...to-ban-diesel/
http://gas2.org/2014/12/03/france-mo...y-diesel-cars/
http://www.autogo.ca/en/news/industr...ay-from-diesel
http://paultan.org/2014/12/03/france...ank-pollution/
So that says to me great marketing wins again, and fudged emissions stats & readings.

So if they ( EU) are investigating this emissions again , France is making a move away from diesel , in the states car makers have to go through tests and pay hefty fees to sell the vehicles , USA is always late to the game or the feds make it 10X more difficult than it's worth..

I was talking to someone yesterday at a car show I saw his company parking sticker in his windshield. ( I was with a friend that has a punched out 860hr 2013 Mustang Shelby 500) I got to talking to him, he runs the logistics for iron mountain 16' and 28' box trucks picking up documents from companies in VT, NH, MA, ME , and he was telling me they have a 50/50 split now between gas and diesel trucks and the gas engines are getting 10-12 mpg , diesels are getting 5-7 mpg.... But the Diesel engines are low maintenance .

So this gas vs diesel debate is going around in circles for many years to come as it has for many past years..... and both ( Gas & Diesel) have their applications pros, cons, and everything in between to debate and still work on getting a happy medium. Yeah you may... may pick up better MPGs, but according to this above report you are polluting the air more than a gas engine? Then we can get back to my debate of keeping a vehicle for more than 4 yrs... great the engine will last longer than a gas engine, but the rest of the vehicle is old, tired and looking like poo poo. Hence why in 3 years I put in my calendar " 3 yr Daily driver anniversary start looking for a placement, then every month after than another reminder, until it's replaced.

so the subject of this posting of " world embraces diesels, Americans play hard to get" should be changed ? " World is questioning Diesels ?"

Last edited by cwazyeurodrivr; 04-12-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:09 PM
fincher
Racer

With AdBlue (urea), diesel burns does cleaner than gasoline. It's a fact.... and urea is just now being required in Europe and elsewhere but has been here since at least 2009 on VWs. France? I think Europe was lagging in being proactive and ditto for places like China. If anything, it is the U.S. that was at the forefront.

Agree fuel quality is not as good as elsewhere. Diesel is a great option for most high-mileage drivers. It's great we have the choice.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:14 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

With AdBlue (urea), diesel burns does cleaner than gasoline. It's a fact.... and urea is just now being required in Europe and elsewhere but has been here since at least 2009 on VWs. France? I think Europe was lagging in being proactive and ditto for places like China. If anything, it is the U.S. that was at the forefront.

Agree fuel quality is not as good as elsewhere. Diesel is a great option for most high-mileage drivers. It's great we have the choice.
If you read the report and other reports it says that in " real world use" high acceleration, high engine speeds, hill climbing, heavy velocity, towing the Adblue systems aren't working at 100%. IE: You would need a larger DEF tank(S) and the expense of DEF tank fill-ups more frequently. So the argument goes back to cost savings, of diesel MPG , fuel & DEF expense vs gas.

Yes in lab perfect conditions adblue systems are cleaner, but according to the reports and details " real world use" isn't as clean as they are claiming under real world daily use for ALL countries as the report says in the PDF.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:32 PM
fincher
Racer

If I had your driving habits, I would lose, too. High mileage, high speed, etc. Can't win.

Instead, I drive 20k annually and have found diesel on a SUV a perfect match. I rarely go 80+ driving. The torque is perfect for daily driving.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

If I had your driving habits, I would lose, too. High mileage, high speed, etc. Can't win.

Instead, I drive 20k annually and have found diesel on a SUV a perfect match. I rarely go 80+ driving. The torque is perfect for daily driving.

Good luck to you.

Nope, I'm surprised I'm getting 19 when I've been pushing the Cayenne Turbo S. In the Rovers when I pushed 80+ I got 12, 400lb difference but still turbos are better than supercharged MPG wise.

I wish I only did 20K/yr. I met my CPA & FA for a late lunch to go over 2014 tax return, according to Tripogik mounted on my dash and mile tracker on my iphone I did 72,114 miles in 2014. 9100 of which was logged as personal miles. Still not my all time high of 96K a year in 2004.

But yes diesel works for some, and not for others.

Quick Reply: World Embraces Diesels, Americans Play Hard to Get