Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Did anyone compare the MB GLA45?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Did anyone compare the MB GLA45?

A Macan is on my possible wish list for next car, but just last week when I got my Car and Driver in the mail I became aware of Mercedes new AMG GLA45. I think it's a bit smaller than the Macan, has a 4 cylinder turbo rather than 6's, but overall performance is the the same or better (355hp).
The base price is pretty much the same as the Macan S and you can run one up with options too, but tit for tat, I built one up very similar to a Porsche build for a few $K less.
Anyone try one out?
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Look about 10 threads below this one...

woops, 17.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Ooops, sorry for not seeing that. I just read through all 7 pages. Bill, your comments there were pretty rational, but there was some of the absolute worst Porsche Fanboi rubbish I've ever seen in that thread. I want my 20 minutes back.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:38 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
... there was some of the absolute worst Porsche Fanboi rubbish I've ever seen in that thread. I want my 20 minutes back.
Time doesn't work that way - it's nonrefundable. Spend yours wisely.

If you think the GLA45 can meet your needs better than a Macan, then by all means get the GLA45. The two vehicles are in entirely different size classes, with the Macan being 330 kg heavier.

Just because some car magazine can put two different cars on a track at the same time and the smaller/lighter car has the faster lap time doesn't mean that it's the better car for your needs. Do you intend to put a Macan or a GLA on a track? Why???? That's what the Cayman GTS is for.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:43 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

I posed my original question because in my mind, the two vehicles, albeit not exactly the same size, would probably appeal to the same demographic. I currently have a 911 and a MINI, whatever I get next will replace the MINI.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
A Macan is on my possible wish list for next car, but just last week when I got my Car and Driver in the mail I became aware of Mercedes new AMG GLA45. I think it's a bit smaller than the Macan, has a 4 cylinder turbo rather than 6's, but overall performance is the the same or better (355hp).
The base price is pretty much the same as the Macan S and you can run one up with options too, but tit for tat, I built one up very similar to a Porsche build for a few $K less.
Anyone try one out?
The GLA is UGLY!!!!! Man it's almost hideous looking and the back rear arches are out of proportion...ugh! And no even though the Mercedes costs close or a few thousand lower it is NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE as the Macan....don't believe me just go and drive them back to back and seriously look at the interior and exterior styling along with the driving dynamics...not even close IMO!
Old 12-13-2014, 02:34 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 939 Likes on 441 Posts

Fast forward 3 years and it's time to sell. Which are you glad you chose?
Old 12-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Demographic for Macan and GLA 45 is quite different! This is not a statement about the quality of the cars, they are both good, but I choose the Macan because it is mor grown up than the AMG. 10 years ago, not married, no plan for kids, .... the AMG would probably have been more appealing.

You really need to test drive them, only way to find out.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:58 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GLA is equivalent to BMW X1, Volvo Crosscountry, and there is an Audi version. Except GLA, none has the upgraded sport version, why, because it wouldn't sell. It's a confused segment IMO. Macan S is a pack leader and appeals to a larger demographic namely compact SUV/Crossover. When it's time to sell, the Macan is going to be more desirable than all the lifted wagons. Just my 2 cents.

Aside from all, the Macan just drives wonderfully. Even the X4 isn't all that based on the reviews I've seen/read.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:28 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither is a pretty car actually

Macan is higher and a mini cross over

Gla is a wagon on steroids. Almost like a Subaru

Quick Reply: Did anyone compare the MB GLA45?