Macan 2014-Current

Autocar road test Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP

Best thing to do is not read the posts from the consistently negative people.
It will improve your outlook!
You consider me negative because of this or the thread where another poster deemed it fair to offer unsolicited comments on my aesthetic preferences for the interior or go as far as to say that my feet were not on the ground because of my interior choice. Or maybe it is other threads. Fair enough, that is your prerogative Sir. The gentleman you are addressing here though, by his own admission in another thread, waits for me to post something, anything so he can come up with a retort.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:29 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@rpilot...I always await your negativity. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by fincher
@rpilot...I always await your negativity. Thanks for the kind words.
I am afraid I won't be able to oblige you much.. but YVW.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 PM
fincher
Racer

Originally Posted by rpilot
I am afraid I won't be able to oblige you much.. but YVW.
Doesn't have to be that way. Disagreements are fine. If you shared knowledge while holding back your ego, we'd all benefit. Just more productive. Your call.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
rpilot
Pro

Doesn't have to be that way. Disagreements are fine. If you shared knowledge while holding back your ego, we'd all benefit. Just more productive. Your call.
It was a moment of weakness where I chose to address your earlier unsolicited name calling in this thread. Mostly, I prefer just to ignore you. Thank you.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 PM
fincher
Racer

Originally Posted by rpilot
It was a moment of weakness where I chose to address your earlier unsolicited name calling in this thread. Mostly, I prefer just to ignore you. Thank you.
Unsolicited? I found the thread informative. Then you post you're 'frustrated' that people don't get the difference between Air Suspension and PASM. That's when I jumped in. Offended I called you an Einstein?

This is a forum where we can all learn. Everything is unsolicited.

I'm sure you're a good guy. You come across otherwise.

You're very welcome...
Old 06-06-2014, 05:51 PM
rpilot
Pro

Unsolicited? I found the thread informative. Then you post you're 'frustrated' that people don't get the difference between Air Suspension and PASM. That's when I jumped in. Offended I called you an Einstein?

This is a forum where we can all learn. Everything is unsolicited.

I'm sure you're a good guy. You come across otherwise.

You're very welcome...
Thank You.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
Invariably those who invested in optimizing the steel spring offering in a stand alone fashion, will take pride in their work. Those will prefer what that system accomplishes.
This I agree with. Performance of a suspension is realised in so may different ways and it isn't all just about driving around a race circuit flat out to see which one sticks best to the tarmac imho. It is an suv after-all and and every user will have their own set of expectations. I have found there is definitely more going on with an air/pasm set up than what meets the eye, or wallet. Each user will always make his own interpretation and few will push the car to the same handling limit a test engineer may. I personally wouldn't read too much into one review either. Looking at that link it appears there is also an opinion being passed questioning the actual car itself and those that buy it. Again people read into things whatever that suits them.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:56 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by speed21
This I agree with. Performance of a suspension is realised in so may different ways and it isn't all just about driving around a race circuit flat out to see which one sticks best to the tarmac imho. It is an suv after-all and and every user will have their own set of expectations. I have found there is definitely more going on with an air/pasm set up than what meets the eye, or wallet.
I agree with this too. Everyone here has a different set of expectations from the car. But I do think it is important to note this is an SUV, not a sports car.

Porsche marketing set up a lot of journalists and the dealer sales forces to sell the car as a sports car and that is why we see these variable expectations (suitable exhaust note, ground hugging near zero roll performance, etc) that one would never have, of say a BMW X3 vs the M3, etc... etc... However, I do think from what I have read so far is that it is the best performing SUV ever, period.

Last edited by rpilot; 06-06-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

The most impressive thing about the Macan Turbo test done by Autocar was the lap times around the track.... 4 seconds quicker than the SQ5 Diesel and only 1 second off the Cayman's pace! Amazing!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree,steel springs over the PASM all day long
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 PM
windblowlc
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristianR
I agree,steel springs over the PASM all day long
You're still not getting it!PASM is steel springs with adjustable struts. Air suspension requires PASM, and the steel springs are replaced with "air springs". That's the difference.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 PM
windblowlc
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
Invariably those who invested in optimizing the steel spring offering in a stand alone fashion, will take pride in their work. Those will prefer what that system accomplishes. That doesn't tell me anything about optimal performance.
Absolutely! If you ask different people you'd get different answers.

The Porsche engineers who designed the regular steel suspension say their system is the best - just the right firmness in all situation, no one need to adjust anything.

The PASM engineers say "Not so! PASM is designed for optimal handling in different situations - normal, sport, sport plus - there's no one shoe fits all."

The AS engineers say "You all can scratch my *ss when I'm squatting!"
Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

I have driven both suspensions on track....Air suspension is the only option that is a MUST have on a Macan....Faster on track, better turn in, flatter cornering, softer ride in regular mode, off ride high mode and the ability to lower the trunk for loading....No brainer.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:49 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Drove with air suspension and with pasm only. Picked pasm only. For the road normal is very comfortable but usually drive in sport which is sporty enough.have taken curves at double speed limit and there is no body roll. Havnt used sport plus much. Loading is a non issue.its really not high. Have 2000kms and no problems loading anything. Personally don't think it's a must have option. Might make a difference on track but is anyone really gonna take macan on track. Either way can't go wrong

Quick Reply: Autocar road test Macan Turbo