Old 06-05-2014, 05:04 AM
PSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocar road test Macan Turbo

0-30mph 1.8

0-60mph 4.7

0-100mph 11.8

So tails off above 60mph which is how it feels on the road.

They are overall very positive. Most interesting observation is that Porsche engineers prefer non PASM set up which was test car spec.

I'm surprised because I have PASM and in normal mode, yes, it wallows round the bends.

But firm up the suspension and also press second button to drop ride hide and handling transformed whilst ride still reasonable.

The difference in ride height is clearly obvious. So how can a non PASM car compete with this?

Maybe non PASM has more natural feel but it must roll more....
Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 AM
mdbonedoc
Instructor

I must say in sport plus mode on low ride height, my Macan Turbo really feels faster than that to 60. Bit surprised.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

So they must prefer an S, as the Turbo come a standard with PASM? Do you have a link to the article?
Old 06-05-2014, 03:21 PM
PSC
Instructor

This is link but not on the web yet. The mag came out yesterday

http://www.autocar.co.uk

PASM a £1,000 option on the Turbo in the UK
Old 06-05-2014, 05:53 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PSC

They are overall very positive. Most interesting observation is that Porsche engineers prefer non PASM set up which was test car spec.

I'm surprised because I have PASM and in normal mode, yes, it wallows round the bends.

But firm up the suspension and also press second button to drop ride hide and handling transformed whilst ride still reasonable.

The difference in ride height is clearly obvious. So how can a non PASM car compete with this?

Maybe non PASM has more natural feel but it must roll more....

Originally Posted by PSC

PASM a £1,000 option on the Turbo in the UK

It amazes me why the concept that Air suspension and PASM are two different things is so hard to grasp.. this has been discussed in this forum and others here ad nauseam.

Regardless, I have no idea at this point based on what you have stated, if the preference referred to (by Porsche Engineers ??? / Autocar reviewers) is about PASM in general or Air Susp. in particular.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:06 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpilot
It amazes me why the concept that Air suspension and PASM are two different things is so hard to grasp.. this has been discussed in this forum and others here ad nauseam.
Sorry some here are such a pain. Some here are newbies (me) and some will never get it. Glad you're neither and just get it. You're a regular Einstein!

I'm glad to read as much as I can.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Regardless, I have no idea at this point based on what you have stated, if the preference referred to (by Porsche Engineers ??? / Autocar reviewers) is about PASM in general or Air Susp. in particular.
I agree.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 PM
fincher
Racer

Yeah, I understand. Still, to us newbies members should embrace explaining the difference, being so knowledgable. Noses held high smells like $hyt.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Invariably those who invested in optimizing the steel spring offering in a stand alone fashion, will take pride in their work. Those will prefer what that system accomplishes. That doesn't tell me anything about optimal performance.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:51 AM
PSC
Instructor

Rpilot

And it amazes me even more why you need to be obnoxious?

The article says:

"It can be equipped with air springs, but, as with our car, it comes with the steel springs preferred by Porsche's engineers and dynamicists and, we'd hope, us too."
Old 06-06-2014, 08:52 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by PSC
Rpilot

And it amazes me even more why you need to be obnoxious?

The article says:

"It can be equipped with air springs, but, as with our car, it comes with the steel springs preferred by Porsche's engineers and dynamicists and, we'd hope, us too."
Was not my intent, just frustration since yours was the upmteenth post I have seen in recent memory carrying on a discussion about the pros and cons of an air suspension and repeatedly using PASM as the term to describe it.

BTW, as a general rule I do agree with the assessment of the Porsche engineers. They usually build such sweet, well balanced spring suspensions. Although Air suspensions can and do provide more comfort and in conjunction with lowered ride height and firmer damper settings possibly ? provide a sportier ride. Well balanced is usually considered fit for purpose and Macan is an SUV. So the ride will never be the same as a stock 911 or Cayman, but then it's not intended to be.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by fincher
Noses held high smells like $hyt.
Get out from under the sewer then.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:44 AM
fincher
Racer

Was not my intent, just frustration since yours was the upmteenth post I have seen in recent memory carrying on a discussion about the pros and cons of an air suspension and repeatedly using PASM as the term to describe it.
Sewer? Frustrated because someone made yet another post on a topic? Why not just refrain? Going to get pissed again when the diesel Macan gets here and the comments about diesel vs. gasser expand?

You set a lousy example. You want everyone to have the Porsche experience...your Porsche experience. I am new to Porsche but not at all new to VAG. I am here to learn from everyone.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Sewer? Frustrated because someone made yet another post on a topic? Why not just refrain? Going to get pissed again when the diesel Macan gets here and the comments about diesel vs. gasser expand?

You set a lousy example. You want everyone to have the Porsche experience...your Porsche experience. I am new to Porsche but not at all new to VAG. I am here to learn from everyone.
Fincher, you have it spot on.
I was once a newbie on the Cayenne forum and asked questions which had been asked before.

Many people there would give a helping comment, or politely point me (and other newgs) to the sticky threads.
Lots of class in most of the people posting on all these forums.

Best thing to do is not read the posts from the consistently negative people.
It will improve your outlook!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:52 PM
rpilot
Pro

I am here to learn from everyone.

Quick Reply: Autocar road test Macan Turbo