Macan 2014-Current

Macan S just arrived; first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 AM
jcontardi
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Macan S just arrived; first impressions

I ordered on January 4, and just took delivery of my Macan S on Friday - less than 200 miles on the clock, but passing along a few first impressions. I did white over standard black interior, infotainment, PASM, 21" turbo wheels, tow hitch, heated steering wheel, and the equivalent of Premium package (which was not yet on the order form in January).

- In real life, the car looks great; friends and neighbors definitely think "sports" over "utility"
- The interior is surprisingly roomy; my wife drives a Cayenne diesel, and the Macan does not feel all that much smaller inside (but drives dramatically smaller)
- I had gone back to the dealer to add "side blades in body color" (vs. std black), but I was past the lock-in date so I was pleasantly surprised by how great the black blades look on white (and on a silver one in the showroom)
- The 21s look awesome; I feared that they might come out a bit rapperesque, but they really have a nice proportion in the wheel wells; they look outrageously good on the silver cars because the wheel blades and the S brake calipers are the same shade of silver
- With PASM in comfort mode, the throttle response is sluggish; I have never had a PASM car, so maybe normal, but so far a bit irritating. Positively, that goes away in sport mode
- From outside the car, it sounds great - very throaty and burblely; however, the car is almost completely silent on the inside (a bit too silent for my preference)
- One little regret: while the alcantara inserts on the standard seats look cool and GTS-like, the seats themselves seem a bit "small" - the seat bottom is oddly short, the thigh bolsters are small and there is little in the way of lumbar. My wife's Cayenne has standard seats, and they fit me great (I am 5''11" and fairly slim); not surprisingly, my wife loves the Macan seats because they fit her so well - am I losing the Macan to my wife already??! Bottom line - if I were to do it again, I would have sprung for the 14-way seats

All in all, VERY happy with the Macan. Hope all of you enjoy yours!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcontardi
I ordered on January 4, and just took delivery of my Macan S on Friday - less than 200 miles on the clock, but passing along a few first impressions. I did white over standard black interior, infotainment, PASM, 21" turbo wheels, tow hitch, heated steering wheel, and the equivalent of Premium package (which was not yet on the order form in January).

- In real life, the car looks great; friends and neighbors definitely think "sports" over "utility"
- The interior is surprisingly roomy; my wife drives a Cayenne diesel, and the Macan does not feel all that much smaller inside (but drives dramatically smaller)
- I had gone back to the dealer to add "side blades in body color" (vs. std black), but I was past the lock-in date so I was pleasantly surprised by how great the black blades look on white (and on a silver one in the showroom)
- The 21s look awesome; I feared that they might come out a bit rapperesque, but they really have a nice proportion in the wheel wells; they look outrageously good on the silver cars because the wheel blades and the S brake calipers are the same shade of silver
- With PASM in comfort mode, the throttle response is sluggish; I have never had a PASM car, so maybe normal, but so far a bit irritating. Positively, that goes away in sport mode
- From outside the car, it sounds great - very throaty and burblely; however, the car is almost completely silent on the inside (a bit too silent for my preference)
- One little regret: while the alcantara inserts on the standard seats look cool and GTS-like, the seats themselves seem a bit "small" - the seat bottom is oddly short, the thigh bolsters are small and there is little in the way of lumbar. My wife's Cayenne has standard seats, and they fit me great (I am 5''11" and fairly slim); not surprisingly, my wife loves the Macan seats because they fit her so well - am I losing the Macan to my wife already??! Bottom line - if I were to do it again, I would have sprung for the 14-way seats

All in all, VERY happy with the Macan. Hope all of you enjoy yours!
Congratulations!!! would love to see some pics, especially of the seats.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Isnt pasm just air suspension and shouldn't effect throttle response or are u talking about sport chrono if the macan has it. Please post pics when u can. My wife mite like to get one. Mike
Old 05-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PASM is an electronic suspension dampening control, doesn't affect throttle, nor is it air suspension.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the OP said PASM when he meant Sport. Using Sport (or Sport Plus) changes both the throttle response and PASM settings. PASM comes standard with Air Suspension, and is optional with spring suspension.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:05 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered on January 4, and just took delivery of my Macan S on Friday
Congrats!
Time to update your signature line to include your new 95B!

Can you contrast the ride suppleness between your C4S vs. Cayenne vs. Macan?
Also, same request for Macan's PDK vs the Cayenne's Tiptronic.. (likes/dislikes)

Thanks!
-mikey
Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 PM
jcontardi
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I will get some pics up shortly, but a few responses...
- I may have used the wrong terminology around PASM: there is a "sport" button and a shocks button, both have three settings. The Sport button (comfort, sport, and sport plus) invokes both the shock firming and a more aggressive throttle map. The shocks botton adjusts the shocks only.
- the PDK feels absolutely right for this car (while the Tiptronic feels absolutely right for the Cayenne diesel); the sport button also affects the PDK shift map - holding gears longer and down shifting more aggressively (with the perfect blips, of course)
- granted, the technology is separated by 20 years, but I actually feel some C4S in the Macan (seat height above pavement not withstanding)
- I have to admit that I did not realize when I ordered that there is no sunroof unless you order the panoramic roof (which renders rear seat headroom useless for adults); doesn't bother me, but if just assumed it had a standard sunroof
Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

- I have to admit that I did not realize when I ordered that there is no sunroof unless you order the panoramic roof (which renders rear seat headroom useless for adults); doesn't bother me, but if just assumed it had a standard sunroof
Congrats! Interesting thoughts about the rear seat. I have the pano on mine and I'm 5'11" and don't have any issues back there. Definitely not as roomy as the Cayenne (I'm coming from the 958), but totally fine IMO.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Congrats! Interesting thoughts about the rear seat. I have the pano on mine and I'm 5'11" and don't have any issues back there. Definitely not as roomy as the Cayenne (I'm coming from the 958), but totally fine IMO.
I'm 5'10" and my head was just touching the rear ceiling with the pano. I've read that it really comes down to your over all proportions, long legs versus long torso.

Quick Reply: Macan S just arrived; first impressions