Macan 2014-Current

The Porsche Phenomenon

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Porsche Phenomenon

I'm probably a little too tired to be writing this right now. But I want to capture my thoughts here, though they might be fragmented and inarticulate, while they're fresh.

I remember starting my career as a then young man keeping a 911 brochure at my desk. There was a picture of a silver and a black. And I pretended to agonize over the choice I would have to make. Chocolate or vanilla, blonde or brunette, an exquisite choice either way. I understood the enthusiast's perspective.

At the Macan event there was something different though. This was not enthusiast driven. It was largely status driven. The collection of Ferrraris, Bentleys etc amassed in one locale defied logic. A colleague who joined me touched about the subject. He said that there is that faction that is driven by an interest in the track. And there is another that is entirely ego driven. But there is largely the interest driven by status. Along the same lines as those owning a Range Rover to cart groceries back from the store, you know fully utilizing the off road capabilities.

I shared with him my all too common first interests. But that was no longer the interest. That it has evolved or perhaps found clarity somehow but not to materialism. If anything in that regard the badge is a bit of a detractor.

We considered it and we decided that what it represents for us is "inspiration". And such an idea to find expression requires that the build is fully vetted and represents our individual vision towards that end.

Which makes me wonder.

What does it represent for you?

Last edited by Buckfever; 05-24-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche are not cheap to buy anymore. The common thread with all buyers is cash. Enthusiasts or not, the track guys are not poor either, they are well off enthusiasts. Its hard to pick a demographic for Porsche when only a few percent can afford one. I think the diverseness in any brand is really the same, but cash is the common thread here, oh and even with cash...they never stooped to posing in an H1 hummer either.

Quick Reply: The Porsche Phenomenon