got the Macan Today..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default got the Macan Today..

more pics tomorrow....

love the "fridge white"... interior is great, pics next to same color combo cayenne tomorrow as well...

front seat=feels same as cayenne just slightly narrower... backseat the headroom is lacking with pano roof.

air suspension is difficult to use and takes forever to change (not sure why) the front keeps wanting to stay up regardless of what setting used..

handling is impressive.. feels like a boxster, torque steer is a little annoying but engine is quick, normal is boring, sport is fun, sport plus is the best and keeps boost where it should be.

not much wind buffeting, more pics tomorrow as been driving all day today..

these are pics in dealer before taking it home

Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

side notes:

gas gauge is annoying how its not ever present on the screen (hate the 3 circle boxster setup) needs 5 like cayenne and 911.

paddle shifters are awkward to use, too inset and not where your fingers are naturally...

the buttons on steering wheel feel cheap, not like the cayenne..

screen on pcm is smaller than usual (not sure why) little drawer under the pcm is for CD insertion.. not sure why the standard setup was bad, never met someone who didnt wanna see the slot that badly.

center console is awkward when pushed forward or back, should go further forward...

also.. "loading height" should be selectable other than in trunk (you have to hold it down?)

really need to mess with the air susp more as said before, if you raise it up, you have to drive extended lenght to lower it back after pushing button...
Old 05-17-2014, 11:11 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
more pics tomorrow....

air suspension is difficult to use and takes forever to change (not sure why) the front keeps wanting to stay up regardless of what setting used..
I saw this in a couple of video reviews on youtube. A british car magazine that did a review of the Macan Turbo with Air Suspension, you could see the front end raised high also. I thought it might be normal but could not make sense of it either.

Hopefully you will get it sorted out and enjoy the car Riley. It looks good !!! I am sorry you are having issues. Keep us posted and hope it all works out.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
side notes:

gas gauge is annoying how its not ever present on the screen (hate the 3 circle boxster setup) needs 5 like cayenne and 911.

paddle shifters are awkward to use, too inset and not where your fingers are naturally...

the buttons on steering wheel feel cheap, not like the cayenne..

screen on pcm is smaller than usual (not sure why) little drawer under the pcm is for CD insertion.. not sure why the standard setup was bad, never met someone who didnt wanna see the slot that badly.

center console is awkward when pushed forward or back, should go further forward...

also.. "loading height" should be selectable other than in trunk (you have to hold it down?)

really need to mess with the air susp more as said before, if you raise it up, you have to drive extended lenght to lower it back after pushing button...
Can't find it now but I read somewhere that there is a delay, I thought it was related to the compressor resetting?

You get PTV+?
Old 05-18-2014, 02:12 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Nice Riley, congrats- I didn't know you opted for the Turbo! I have the same color combo with 20" SDs on the way, but opted to keep the standard alum trim vs going w the piano black. Some comments on yours:

- during my test drive, I thought the buttons were nicer on the steering wheel, esp the scroller, interested to hear more from you on this
- the PCM screen should be the same 7" screen from the 958. Does it just seem smaller?
- the test car I drove had the gas gauge persistent on top of the 3rd mfd screen, but I don't remember trying changing it. Maybe this can be configured?
- pls keep us posted what you learn about the AS, mine should be here next Thurs/Fri
Old 05-18-2014, 01:08 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
the test car I drove had the gas gauge persistent on top of the 3rd mfd screen, but I don't remember trying changing it. Maybe this can be configured?

+1. Based on experience with the small set of gauges in the 981 Boxster this is the case. A setting will allow driver to have the gas gauge/miles to empty full time on the top level of the MFD screen.

Also, based on experience with air suspension in 958 Cayenne GTS there are different results with pushing the toggle up quickly and pushing it up and holding it for about 10 seconds. Perhaps holding it down for longer will accelerate the lowering back to normal or something of that nature.

No hands on experience with the Macan Turbo yet though as that is about a week away so not sure how applicable this experience will be.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:19 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Pics later today with matching cayenne. Should be a good comparison

I have a white S coming too. Little different options. Together friends and I ordered a bunch of them because for the price it's an amazing and versatile vehicle. Highway trips should be a breeze and plenty of space. Basically the perfect weekend getaway vehicle.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good write up
Mine is on a boat, here next week. I'll drive it for a few days until I turn it over to my wife to abuse.....
Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Good write up
Mine is on a boat, here next week. I'll drive it for a few days until I turn it over to my wife to abuse.....
Ah.. Sir.. do I sense a pang of ..........? Perhaps you might want to add one of your own
Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM
rpilot
Pro

@ Riley... Any chance you will post the pic of your Macan turbo from a similar angle to this pic by ISUK....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ps8c36517f.jpg

I am trying to compare the sideskirts in the US vs the UK model vs other models. I think they are getting the normal sideskirts painted in the UK and we have the Sportdesign ones included standard with Turbo. You look like you got the sportdesign... If you can post a pic of your car at that same angle, be much obliged. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:16 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks great Riley Look forward to seeing a few pictures with the Cayenne.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:20 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

pics with v6 Cayenne, same color combo.. same roof, closest comparison anyone can have

more pics in daylight when i find time in my day to move em about.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

the "S" should finish PPI tomorrow.... looking forward to seating position differences and feel w/ alcantara inserts.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say I'm surprised. I thought there'd be a bigger size difference. Also the white looks quite good. Thanks for the pics.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 452 Likes on 291 Posts

^^^ Yeah, I went to the Macan unveiling a couple days ago at our dealership and was surprised how large it is. I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is in the market segment Macan is targeting that significantly differs from Cayenne's market. Seems like it will just be a lot of sales cannibalization to me.

rijowysock, great looking cars!

Quick Reply: got the Macan Today..