Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Launch Event 5/22

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to start by apologizing for the lack of quantity and quality of the pictures. The event was extremely overcrowded, interesting experience to be sure, but as was suggested not the best venue to accomplish a whole lot.

The silver color was much nicer than I expected and if you have a disposition towards silver you will not be disappointed. It is a color that looks much better live.

The 21s are a beautiful wheel however they struck me as too large and the profile too small, a matter of taste, but I can also see how someone would love them.

The Spyders looked OK lighting wasn't good, proportiions were great, handsome rather than dramatic:

The Flat Black looks great. If you like black it really works on this vehicle. Blends perfect with the rear spoiler. I'm still leaning towards the metallic offerings. Here you can also see the contrast of the lower bumper it is more of a grey color.

The Carbon fiber side blade looks like a gloss black, you have to get real close to see the weave and even then it's hardly noticeable. It's not a good location for it:

The cargo area was a bit smaller than I expected, not a deal killer but not great either:

So now just some random observations. Initial impression was it looked smaller than expected. This is not necessarily bad, I was one that all but dismissed the marketing of this being a "sporty" SUV. I have to say that the proportions and the lines are phenomenal, much better than I expected. And in the low position there was no gap and it struck me as more sports car than SUV. So that was a nice surprise. The wide stance is something to behold. Magnificent. Given how much time I've contemplated this vehicle, I was prepared to be let down a bit. I wasn't. The appearance is masterful, a thing of beauty.

Although, someone had mentioned the aggressive front of the turbo. I would agree that a darker color would soften it. I preferred the S styling in this regard.

Wheel gap for the steel suspension I did not find to be a big deal. What I would say is that it looks fine but the AS in low looks phenomenal.

Side blades suck, IMO. Maybe on the Agate they'll blend. But IMO they need to be painted.

They had the brown metallic exterior, not my thing but if you like brown it doesn't get any better. Very rich color.

The chrome window trim is not something I care for but it looks great. If you like that treatment it looks rich you won't be disappointed.

The 19" turbo wheels look great!!! I tried but I couldn't get an unobstructed picture.

I talked to my SA and he drove them a couple weeks before. He likes the analog feel of the steel springs. That's his bias. He is receiving little to no interest in the performance options, including PASM. The limited interest in the AS is only for those needing to have the adjustability in ride height. I thought that interesting.

That's all that comes to mind right now.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it was crowded but we saw three Macans and all three were customer ordered vehicles. The Exchange still has not received its launch ones!

Back seat area is tight but not as tight as I was expecting. Pano roof is not too low for me...I'm
6'1." Diesel coming for 2016 model.

Actually thought the spectacle of the evening was great. From the parade of rides at the valet, the red carpet, the acrobat dancers dangling from curtains, and the people watching.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@buckfever.. thanks for the post. Did you get a chance to sit inside and assess the rearward visibility? I need to really trek down to the dealer one of these days and take a test drive...

Last edited by rpilot; 05-23-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver looks better indoors than in sunlight - turns to an ice blue color in the sun. Local guy ordered a Mahogany one that was delivered at launch - his wife looked at it and said she hated the color :-).
Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
@buckfever.. thanks for the post. Did you get a chance to sit inside and assess the rearward visibility? I need to really trek down to the dealer one of these days and take a test drive...
rpilot - in a different thread I talked about the rearward view. Rear glass looks small through the rearview mirror, plus you have multiple headrests impinging on the view. I highly recommend the Lane Change Assist.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Buckfever
Racer

I didn't forget nor to look at the partial leather door treatment, I just couldn't get in there and I had a business dinner planned with my guest, so I had to go. I'll get back there today though.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
I didn't forget nor to look at the partial leather door treatment, I just couldn't get in there and I had a business dinner planned with my guest, so I had to go. I'll get back there today though.
Not the best, but perhaps these help...
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Not the best, but perhaps these help...
Thanks for the pics, Hammer. The one thing I was interested in knowing for sure is if the area on the door panel right above/ behind the leather armrest and below the trim area (ie: black, aluminium or wood).. is covered in leather with the VF (mid tier leather package). I am aware the top of the door is not in leather /stiching with the Mid level package, just unsure about that specific middle door panel. Brett from Sonnen Porsche posted here the other day that it was, but I think he may have misunderstood my question. From what I have been able to determine from pics so far, it is not.

Last edited by rpilot; 05-23-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:23 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Hammer911
rpilot - in a different thread I talked about the rearward view. Rear glass looks small through the rearview mirror, plus you have multiple headrests impinging on the view. I highly recommend the Lane Change Assist.
I was going to get LCA anyways. You're the second person who's said this now and what I am not too happy about, but I digress... It is just such a desirable vehicle.

It's almost funny that the journalists who are driving these on Porsche's dime, more than half of them say, visibility is great all around. And the other half don't say a thing. Only one, one of them said, the rearward visibility is a bit problematic. I am sure Porsche will exclude him from the next junket.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:38 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Buckfever
No biggie. Thanks. I had an invite from my dealer for one last week but I am not fond of these gatherings just for that reason. Best time to truly go look at the car and have enough time for a proper test drive is a weekday afternoon. The next chance I have a slow afternoon at work, I think I will skip out for a bit and check these out and take a test drive if possible.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:13 PM
rpilot
Pro

Looks like I just answered my own question for sure. Here is a link to a dealers Turbo shots in Dark Blue (my other favorite color besides silver)...

http://beachwood.porschedealer.com/S...69336/info.php

If anyone else is interested Pic 21 is the best closeup shot I have seen of the door panel area I spoke of earlier.. Looks like no leather,even with the mid-level leather package (which is standard on Turbo) in that area.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile

A little disappointing, but not a big deal for me. It is a SUV after all. I'm getting the leather package primarily for the extra leather in important places, including the stitched leather across the dash. Couldn't justify the cost of the leather interior for the other spots such as stitching along top of doors etc. But on my 911s, I always had full leather interior, for both looks, feel, and smell!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by keninirvine
A little disappointing, but not a big deal for me. It is a SUV after all. I'm getting the leather package primarily for the extra leather in important places, including the stitched leather across the dash. Couldn't justify the cost of the leather interior for the other spots such as stitching along top of doors etc. But on my 911s, I always had full leather interior, for both looks, feel, and smell!
There is no right or wrong here, just preferences. I have the full leather interior on my current 991, but I can't say that it is my preferred interior choice. Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible, it's just that it feels a bit over the top for me. Must be my pedestrian tastes . I also really prefer the lower areas to not be leather. The only reason I got it in the 991 is again, because of the doors. Without any sort of trim on the 991 and no leather either, the door just looked ... well, not nice, so I got the full leather.

On the Macan, the step up from the Leather package to full leather is about $1700... I just don't wanna go down that route again.

I can take or leave the leather package at this point if I get the Macan S, I will just have to see it in person. If I decide on the turbo instead, the Leather Package is standard...
Old 05-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Looks like I just answered my own question for sure. Here is a link to a dealers Turbo shots in Dark Blue (my other favorite color besides silver)...

http://beachwood.porschedealer.com/S...69336/info.php

If anyone else is interested Pic 21 is the best closeup shot I have seen of the door panel area I spoke of earlier.. Looks like no leather,even with the mid-level leather package (which is standard on Turbo) in that area.
Plastic:

Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Went back today to actually take a look at this thing.

Here's some pics:

I love the flat black. But it's especially good at highlighting fingerprints, I really like the S front:

Exterior shots, black is a great color, I would not be disappointed owning a black version though would likely choose metallic, I need to see the Agate:

The lower side molding I thought looked fine:

Cargo space in good lighting was ample:

I would pick the Spyders for the Agate but not my first choice for the Black, personal choice.

Plastic I thought looked fine:

So some more thoughts. I love the stance of the 20s, for sure I'm getting the 20s. We lowered the suspension on the turbo to the lowest setting and outdoors it's not that dramatic, neither is it all that tall at the highest setting. I personally need to drive both the Steel Spring and AS for a comparison. I think seeing them both live not sure now where I stand now on the wheel gap difference. Maybe less inclined on the AS. No demos are available yet but I am in cue.

Sitting in the drivers seat I found it plenty spacious. I'm 5'10" muscular build I was comfortable.

Rear seats, leg room no problem, I found the height to be an issue with the Panoramic roof. It would be fine without it. I'm not getting it so not an issue.

Black spoiler, why?

I still have things to work out. Jet black versus Agate, AS versus steel suspension, Diesel versus S.

But I am definitely buying it.

Quick Reply: Launch Event 5/22