Macan 2014-Current

Got my Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM
PSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Macan Turbo

Went for Agate Grey which is a bit dull but not spoilt for choice. Highlights the Turbo features better than Black but think I would have prefered black

Engine noise most disappointing aspect. Had an RS4 with Sports Exhaust - the Macan sounds sterile by comparison. Thankfully went for Sports Plus which beefs up the exhaust note a bit. Unlike on the 991, Sports Plus much less aggressive and therefore more useable.

Interior great and all the electronics/standard sterio are top drawer.

Being very gentle with brakes etc as car beds down so can't really judge handling. Feels more fluid than the Audi but heavy. Not floored it but acceleration very impressive.

Overall it's not a car to love since the engine deprives it of character.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PSC
Went for Agate Grey which is a bit dull but not spoilt for choice. Highlights the Turbo features better than Black but think I would have prefered black

Engine noise most disappointing aspect. Had an RS4 with Sports Exhaust - the Macan sounds sterile by comparison. Thankfully went for Sports Plus which beefs up the exhaust note a bit. Unlike on the 991, Sports Plus much less aggressive and therefore more useable.

Interior great and all the electronics/standard sterio are top drawer.

Being very gentle with brakes etc as car beds down so can't really judge handling. Feels more fluid than the Audi but heavy. Not floored it but acceleration very impressive.

First congratulations!!! Would love to see pictures, especially since I'm struggling with the Black/Agate on the exterior. What about the suspension/wheels what are your impressions?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PSC
Can you please elaborate on how does the engine deprives the car of character? Or maybe you mean the lack of exhaust noise in the cabin? But even then, just get the PSE when it becomes available.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 AM
PSC
Instructor

Agate versus Black hinges on whether you think front grill/Turbo lights an attractive striking feature or ugly (as my wife does!). Agate contrasts whereas Black downplays aggressive front end.

Re exhaust note, yes I have asked to have sports exhaust retro fitted as soon as available. My 991 sounded great and even better with Sports Exhaust on. The Macan is too turbine smooth for my taste although I've not canned it at the top end of revs when meant to get better. I guess it's what you are used to. I love the AGM and RS Audi engines. I presume the Macan GTS will tick this box.

I've got the Spyder 20 inch which look a bit small but I wanted the practicality. If you want best look I'd go for 21 inch.

Very pleased I got Sport Plus, much more usable and doesn't dominate driving style as it did on my 991. I nearly didn't bother with this option.

Forgot to say that I'm very impressed with interior space and boot size.

Will post photos when I can work out how to download,
Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah man give us some pictures. I went back to the Porsche dealer to look at the colors again given your comments on the Agate. I have to say I'm still leaning pretty hard on the Agate. It doesn't have the WOW factor punch of the Black but the Agate is so elegant.

And I like the Spyders especially with the Agate, because of the pewter.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:56 AM
PSC
Instructor

Will sort photos this weekend when kids home to help download!

I'm now pleased with the Agate Grey. Changes with light. Also now that I've been let into traffic more easily I've concluded black Porsches tend to appear more aggressive and wind people up.

Nice pop on the exhausts as the revs rise.

Very easy car to drive and I'm enjoying it more now that I've adjusted to the lack of drama. However a GTS Turbo the one to buy!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:17 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice review PSC. Interesting that you comment it feels heavy. Maybe those brakes aren't as good as they should be….or the handling dynamics are a bit retarded in some way? Re the agate I was much the same, always a black fan, but now the agate is really growing on me too. In dark light it turns nearly black anyway..

Love to see some pics...
Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 AM
PSC
Instructor

Sorry, photos still WIP

Quick update on the car

Pushing it a bit hard now and acceleration is excellent plus engine/exhaust sound a lot better at higher revs. Still needs sports exhaust but I can now cope until available.

Cruising very quiet and refined, almost too much so and I keep finding myself exceeding speed limits. Needs BMW's heads up speedo display.

Handling getting better the harder I drive and copes with bumps amazingly well. Rolls more than I was expecting but I've not got PDDC since found it too artificial on previous cars.

Still feels a big car (read wide) but I'm less aware of the weight.

I was initially a little underwhelmed but it is a great car when you factor in its practical side. There's nothing else on the market that competes other than the RS4 which has better engine and IMO more intuitive/advanced technology/safety aids but feels old hat otherwise with lousy steering and poor ride/handling combo.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I have ordered Black but I really like the Agate... really like it!

Sport exhaust option is supposedly coming out at the end of the year however for those without it would be better off trying aftermarket as O.E will be back order and expensive.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

if u email me pics (below) ill post for you.

i think all turbo engines sound bad to be honest.. its just the burden of having turbo's/
Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Louis.E
Advanced

Congrats on the turbo.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PSC
Handling getting better the harder I drive and copes with bumps amazingly well. Rolls more than I was expecting but I've not got PDDC since found it too artificial on previous cars.
Really? I am not planning to order sea floats for my Macan either.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by PSC
Sorry, photos still WIP

Quick update on the car

Pushing it a bit hard now and acceleration is excellent plus engine/exhaust sound a lot better at higher revs. Still needs sports exhaust but I can now cope until available.

Cruising very quiet and refined, almost too much so and I keep finding myself exceeding speed limits. Needs BMW's heads up speedo display.

Still feels a big car (read wide) but I'm less aware of the weight.

I was initially a little underwhelmed but it is a great car when you factor in its practical side. There's nothing else on the market that competes other than the RS4 which has better engine and IMO more intuitive/advanced technology/safety aids but feels old hat otherwise with lousy steering and poor ride/handling combo.
I dont think PDDC is an option on the Macan

Did you order it with PASM+air and PTV+ ???

perhaps should have waited for PCCB
Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason to order PCCB on a Macan is to avoid brake dust - very expensive option to do that, but people have done that with Cayeenes too. On the other hand, the PCCB on my GT3 on the track are very handy indeed.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
The only reason to order PCCB on a Macan is to avoid brake dust - very expensive option to do that, but people have done that with Cayeenes too. On the other hand, the PCCB on my GT3 on the track are very handy indeed.
The same reasons apply, if not more so, esp wrt to the improved thermal performance of PCCB vs Steel rotors for a car (relatively as) heavy as the Macan.

Quick Reply: Got my Macan Turbo