Macan 2014-Current

Got my Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:35 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Ive had them on my last two GT3s and I love them... I think a heavier car like the Macan would benefit from the stopping power and the reduction in unsprung/rotational mass...

I wonder why they did not offer PDCC on the Macan, I wonder if it doesn't really need it with PASM+air?
Yes it is hard to go past the bite of those ceramics and the heavier the car the better it would feel under brake with that level of extra bite and stopping power. The steels are good but not on the same planet as the ceramics.

I can't understand why they wouldn't offer the PDCC least of all on the top end turbo. I have the pasm+air and also the PTV plus on our V8CDS and as brilliant as it all is as a package it would have only been better again with PDCC but the option wasn't available, restricted only to the petrol GTS and CTT models. With Macan I would have thought PDCC would have been available as an option. Maybe it will surface later...

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
Rails would be fine if they were black. Window surrounds would look better in black too
Totally agree. The black is by far the more contemporary and sportier look. In silver the roof rails and window trims give the car more of a stately look. Nice but not for me personally. I would also get the r/rails anyway as they go with the car and are quite unobtrusive in black, least of all it is still an suv which needs to keep practicality available wherever you can, regardless of it having sporty characteristics. A 4 door passenger car would be a different story but an SUV looks like it is missing something without rails imo. And, as they are not retrofittable makes it a no brainer given that resale opportunities could only be reduced without them...again being an SUV type vehicle.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Louis.E
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad there was no charge for roof rack delete. I hated them on my fx45. To much extra work when cleaning and waxing around and under them.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 243 Posts

How are the rear seats and headroom? I never pulled the trigger because that was my biggest concern, I have an M5 now as a DD and I can't have it be smaller than that in the rear.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Louis.E
I'm glad there was no charge for roof rack delete. I hated them on my fx45. To much extra work when cleaning and waxing around and under them.
+1

I enjoy washing and waxing my no roof rails Cayenne.

I dislike doing the roof on the roof railed RX400h.
And there are cross bars on it as well!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Yes it is hard to go past the bite of those ceramics and the heavier the car the better it would feel under brake with that level of extra bite and stopping power. The steels are good but not on the same planet as the ceramics.

I can't understand why they wouldn't offer the PDCC least of all on the top end turbo. I have the pasm+air and also the PTV plus on our V8CDS and as brilliant as it all is as a package it would have only been better again with PDCC but the option wasn't available, restricted only to the petrol GTS and CTT models. With Macan I would have thought PDCC would have been available as an option. Maybe it will surface later...

Totally agree. The black is by far the more contemporary and sportier look. In silver the roof rails and window trims give the car more of a stately look. Nice but not for me personally. I would also get the r/rails anyway as they go with the car and are quite unobtrusive in black, least of all it is still an suv which needs to keep practicality available wherever you can, regardless of it having sporty characteristics. A 4 door passenger car would be a different story but an SUV looks like it is missing something without rails imo. And, as they are not retrofittable makes it a no brainer given that resale opportunities could only be reduced without them...again being an SUV type vehicle.

My only guess is that PDCC is either not beneficial for the MAcan, or more likely its to differentiate it from the Cayenne...

I definitely like the black rails and trim ... its subjective but I think chrome trim looks cheap
Old 05-11-2014, 08:25 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My only guess is that PDCC is either not beneficial for the MAcan, or more likely its to differentiate it from the Cayenne...

I definitely like the black rails and trim ... its subjective but I think chrome trim looks cheap
I would say the latter. If it is beneficial for a lightweight GT3 or 911 then it could only make things better the heavier and more roll a car like this is subject to.

And agree the R/rail and window trim colour is subjective but for me it would be black all day long.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:05 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I understand it (and I could be wrong!) the air suspension is providing the leveling function not just on the up and down axis but also side to side. The little information I could find on the Trelleborgvibracoustic macan suspension is that the sway bars are also those airbags instead of fixed swaybars. Also vibracoustic designed this suspension so that all the components works as a coherent whole instead of Porsche having to integrate the various components.

Do I think that Porsche will introduce PDCC for the Macan? Anything is possible but for this generation, I think unlikely. They would have to have a completely different setup for the sway bars with PDCC and then offer either a different type of air suspension for the Air springs portion or compromise vibracoustics "coherent" system or not offer air suspension in conjunction with PDCC. I find it hard to believe that Porsche finds a viable business case to do this for the Macan considering the market positioning of the macan.

As far as the future, I think Porsche will have eventually suck it up and move to magnetorheological dampers and sway bars instead of the Hydraulic PDCC system + PASM they have been trying to amortize the R&D of for the past decade.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
As I understand it (and I could be wrong!) the air suspension is providing the leveling function not just on the up and down axis but also side to side. The little information I could find on the Trelleborgvibracoustic macan suspension is that the sway bars are also those airbags instead of fixed swaybars. Also vibracoustic designed this suspension so that all the components works as a coherent whole instead of Porsche having to integrate the various components.

Do I think that Porsche will introduce PDCC for the Macan? Anything is possible but for this generation, I think unlikely. They would have to have a completely different setup for the sway bars with PDCC and then offer either a different type of air suspension for the Air springs portion or compromise vibracoustics "coherent" system or not offer air suspension in conjunction with PDCC. I find it hard to believe that Porsche finds a viable business case to do this for the Macan considering the market positioning of the macan.

As far as the future, I think Porsche will have eventually suck it up and move to magnetorheological dampers and sway bars instead of the Hydraulic PDCC system + PASM they have been trying to amortize the R&D of for the past decade.
I had suspected that the air suspension + PASM might be providing an alternate implementation for the PDCC function... makes sense. not clear to me why PASM alone (on PDCC optioned models) cannot alone provide the lateral control w/o resorting to PDCC function on the sways anyway
Old 05-13-2014, 04:55 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not clear to me why PASM alone (on PDCC optioned models) cannot alone provide the lateral control w/o resorting to PDCC function on the sways anyway
Old 05-17-2014, 04:01 PM
vitaman
Advanced

Love the PCCB's on my Cayenne.
Will order same on the Macan.
Wish I could place the order now, but the color I want is not even available to order until fall.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:59 PM
buntyster
1st Gear

Default Macan Turbo

just got one in white. 21 alloys, fully loaded. fantastic car but the exhaust sound really underwhelming, not what any Porsche turbo should sound.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by buntyster
just got one in white. 21 alloys, fully loaded. fantastic car but the exhaust sound really underwhelming, not what any Porsche turbo should sound.
Completely agree. So disappointed in the sound.

Jeff
Old 07-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

Old 07-26-2014, 10:51 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Get the new back cat pipes for better accoustics. The second cats do little more than silence the sound.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm struggling with waiting on the diesel. You're not helping me. :-)

Quick Reply: Got my Macan Turbo