Macan 2014-Current

Thought I'd Share My Macan S build

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:20 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
21's are a detriment on the track. Just for show.
That seems to be the primary motive for a lot of builds
Old 10-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I would prefer the most rubber with the largest brakes I could have on the wheels. If you can fit 18 inch wheels around the brakes get 18 inch wheels for the track. If you need larger get larger but only as large as you need to fit the brakes you need.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
I would prefer the most rubber with the largest brakes I could have on the wheels...
Why?

Choosing the right tire depends on the track conditions you will see. The better the surface, the less tire compliance is necessary. Within reason, all other things equal, having a lower profile tire will:
1) reduce unsprung mass (if one selects a proper forged wheel)
2) reduce tire temperature & pressure variation
3) improve cornering responsiveness
4) last longer

If you drive on a rougher road surface, then you need more sidewall to allow the tire to deform to the irregular surface. But why put on taller tires than one needs? IMHO, the only other reasons to stick with large profile tires is if you're on a budget or deathly afraid of curb rash. Neither should be the case if you're driving a Porsche.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
Why? Choosing the right tire depends on the track conditions you will see. The better the surface, the less tire compliance is necessary. Within reason, all other things equal, having a lower profile tire will: 1) reduce unsprung mass (if one selects a proper forged wheel) 2) reduce tire temperature & pressure variation 3) improve cornering responsiveness 4) last longer If you drive on a rougher road surface, then you need more sidewall to allow the tire to deform to the irregular surface. But why put on taller tires than one needs? IMHO, the only other reasons to stick with large profile tires is if you're on a budget or deathly afraid of curb rash. Neither should be the case if you're driving a Porsche.
Fair enough. I am not an expert by any stretch. Just sharing from previous experience the push for lower and lower profile by many is useless when considered against why they want/need it (ie, they don't know why).

I will say, you can definitely own a Porsche on a budget! I have two!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

For a drivers car I would do the 19"ers as they are as good as any, esp with race rubber. And they work for resale as many summer, AS and winter choice tires are avialable. Im done with keys in and out all day - keyless is the way to go. Drivers dont like freezing or sweating so the heated and ventilated seats are a big plus. I like the PTV, AS and the hitch options. Serious drivers may need to haul some race rubber to the track (or bikes to the nearby trail). And unless I live way in the boonies, I want the Bose and HD radio options. A serious driver needs some serious motivation and it takes some good music for that to happen. the only frivolous option im going for is the colored wheel crests - they look great and are cheap. All these are good for resale. What more can I say?

Quick Reply: Thought I'd Share My Macan S build