Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Plug-in Hybrid, two vehicles in one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM
KPexEA
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Macan Plug-in Hybrid, two vehicles in one?

My wife and I currently have three vehicles (my 2002 996tt, a 2002 ML500 and a 2010 Honda Fit).

I'm currently mulling over the idea of replacing the ML500 and Fit with the plug-in hybrid version of the Macan.

Since we use the Fit as a daily driver, the plug-in capabilities of the Macan would give us the economic benefit equal to the Fit. We rarely use the ML500 anymore but we do use it on occasion for towing our camping trailer and utility trailer. The Macan sounds easily up to the task for towing so it seems to me we can get rid of two vehicles and replace it with a single one.

Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KPexEA
My wife and I currently have three vehicles (my 2002 996tt, a 2002 ML500 and a 2010 Honda Fit).

I'm currently mulling over the idea of replacing the ML500 and Fit with the plug-in hybrid version of the Macan.

Since we use the Fit as a daily driver, the plug-in capabilities of the Macan would give us the economic benefit equal to the Fit. We rarely use the ML500 anymore but we do use it on occasion for towing our camping trailer and utility trailer. The Macan sounds easily up to the task for towing so it seems to me we can get rid of two vehicles and replace it with a single one.

Thoughts?
How long will it be before the Macan comes out in the plug-in Hydrid?? Took the Panamarea 5 years

Just buy the Macan to replace the ML and the Fit and be done. It will be great car!

Last edited by Quest911; 02-21-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 PM
kr994
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugin SUV may sound like a great idea from the MPG standpoint but considering its curb weight of about 4200 lbs (Macan S) the range will be very limited (10-20 miles ?). Unless of course they put really big batteries in it, but then this make it even heavier, more expensive and takes up lots of cargo space in the trunk.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

kr994, if there's any company that is able to achieve a superior plug-in hybrid, it's Porsche. It's only a matter of time before the 918's technology spreads to other platforms.

But there is low-hanging fruit to be harvested now, and it's got to be in Porsche's future planning. One of the biggest fuel wasters in many areas is the archaic traffic signals and congested roadways that force drivers to idle without moving. Even a mild hybrid with a refined engine start-stop function can return significant fuel savings, without large heavy batteries.

It is undeniably true, however, that the masses of modern vehicles are becoming ridiculously porky. I expected the Macan to be much lighter than it is. No one is going to mistake it for a responsive lightweight sports car. Nevertheless, for supremely versatile daily transport plus occasional towing duty, KPexEA will probably be offered a hybrid version that would fit the bill nicely in 3-5 years or whenever Porsche is able to catch up with demand.

Personally, I'd like to see a stripped Macan RS that weighs no more than 3500 pounds.

Quick Reply: Macan Plug-in Hybrid, two vehicles in one?