Macan Observations...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Macan Observations...

Sat in a Turbo last nite at a car show. Some random notes:
1. Exterior looks fab. I hope the rear lights make their way into the cayenne. the only thing I didnt care for were the large openings in the front bumper. Looks like a lot of debris will get caught.
2. MF w/ Paddle shift steering wheel FINALLY! P should Offer this in all models.
3. The E brake in the center console is dumb and ugly. Hide the dam thing.
4. The PCM screen should be larger.
5. The front seat and leg room were better than i expected. I have broad shoulders and was concerned about rubbing against the door.
6. The light colored leather seats were already stained. Appeared to be blue jeans .
7. Rear seats were better than expected. The leg room was decent. Headroom was fair. It may be tight for those 6' or taller. The seats do NOT slide or recline, strange. I didnt fold the seat down so Im unsure if its flat.
8. The boot is small as expected. Eyeballing it i could prob lay a golf bag diagonally w/ the woods out, otherwise the seat will have to fold down. there isnt a lot of vertical space.

There was so much excitement and fanfare w/ this car. Soo many people wanting to look at it. The other models werent as lucky. On a side note there was a beautiful blue 991 GT3 on display as well. Luckily, it was parked near a fire hose .

A while back I doubted the success of the Macan. Now Im convinced I'll be eating my own words and say that this model may be Porsche's best seller yet.

Now I need a test drive.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Everything is pointing to the over-the-top success you allude to. I am very anxious to see one in person...the Macan S we ordered for my wife is scheduled to arrive June 27, and she/we can hardly wait. She's not a car person per se, but is quite excited about this car. Just shows the power of the brand to essentially pre-sell all the production of a new vehicle in a new segment for the company. The good thing about success of a new launch like this is it will reinforce the value of the brand within the overall company and should keep them motivated to not take any chances at watering down the Porsche marque.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:48 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I just wonder if they used plastic coolant pipes or not.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
1. Exterior looks fab. I hope the rear lights make their way into the cayenne. the only thing I didnt care for were the large openings in the front bumper. Looks like a lot of debris will get caught.
2. MF w/ Paddle shift steering wheel FINALLY! P should Offer this in all models.
5. The front seat and leg room were better than i expected. I have broad shoulders and was concerned about rubbing against the door.
6. The light colored leather seats were already stained. Appeared to be blue jeans .
7. Rear seats were better than expected. The leg room was decent. Headroom was fair. It may be tight for those 6' or taller. The seats do NOT slide or recline, strange. I didnt fold the seat down so Im unsure if its flat.
8. The boot is small as expected. Eyeballing it i could prob lay a golf bag diagonally w/ the woods out, otherwise the seat will have to fold down. there isnt a lot of vertical space.

There was so much excitement and fanfare w/ this car. Soo many people wanting to look at it. The other models werent as lucky. On a side note there was a beautiful blue 991 GT3 on display as well. Luckily, it was parked near a fire hose .

A while back I doubted the success of the Macan. Now Im convinced I'll be eating my own words and say that this model may be Porsche's best seller yet.

Now I need a test drive.
Thanks for sharing, always good to read another perspective.

Originally Posted by Hammer911
The good thing about success of a new launch like this is it will reinforce the value of the brand within the overall company and should keep them motivated to not take any chances at watering down the Porsche marque.
I hope you're right about this. The Macan S is the most inexpensive Porsche and a great value, but still not a cheap vehicle by any means. I kind of hope they don't release a smaller engine variant in the US, as that price would likely be too attractive to pass up for the masses given how much success the 3 models are already having worldwide.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Now I need a test drive.
any pictures?
Old 02-20-2014, 03:48 PM
kosmo
Race Director

I tried but the car was soo hot that the camera couldnt capture it!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

should have used infra-red camera
Old 02-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

If a camera can capture Kate Upton in zero gravity, it can certainly capture a Macan standing still.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hammer911
If a camera can capture Kate Upton in zero gravity, it can certainly capture a Macan standing still.
pictures please!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Alrighty then
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

holy twin spool turbos batman!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM
kr994
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... the only thing I didnt care for were the large openings in the front bumper. Looks like a lot of debris will get caught.
Agree, they look hideous. Do they really need to be that big (for cooling or turbo boost) ?
The rest of the car is so nicely proportioned and understated but these openings remind me of cheap ricer upgrades that are definitely sucking
Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM
kosmo
Race Director

I think they were trying to copy the Evoque.

I already know what my 1st mod is... Mesh
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 PM
pmacan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how I like the Macan

Hope you notice the change... image on left enhanced and on right is the real one.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 AM
kosmo
Race Director

I like your rendition w/ the less rakish rear window.

Quick Reply: Macan Observations...