Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Sapphire Blue - What is the latest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Sapphire Blue - What is the latest?

What are the latest news or rumors on the Sapphire Blue? I am holding my order for this color, I am buying a Porsche and I am tired of the white/silver/gray mass of vehicles I see every day.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
peterp (08-25-2022)
Old 02-08-2014, 04:18 AM
kewin92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sebis Sapphire blue will show up in configurator in march but this colour goes in production in october 2014 so expect earliest deliveliers december 2014
also make sure that you have seen this colour on the street without photoshop walpapers and sun blinks beacause it is just blue colour.
2nd negative fact about sapphire - there will be very very much sapphire blue macans - do you really need this colour? it is not mexican blue - exclusive rare colour!
every second macan will be blue!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:17 AM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by kewin92
Sebis Sapphire blue will show up in configurator in march but this colour goes in production in october 2014 so expect earliest deliveliers december 2014
also make sure that you have seen this colour on the street without photoshop walpapers and sun blinks beacause it is just blue colour.
2nd negative fact about sapphire - there will be very very much sapphire blue macans - do you really need this colour? it is not mexican blue - exclusive rare colour!
every second macan will be blue!
Good point about seeing it in person. However, it cannot be more popular than white, silver, grey and black, even with the Macan crowd. Here where I live I see white, black and grey Porsches every day. Blue on the other hand, I don't recall seeing blue one ever, ok maybe dark blue but nothing like Sapphire Blue.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:03 PM
kewin92
Intermediate

from what I know sapphire blue our dealer in Russia going to order 10 times more than any others in the end of 2013 year.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:40 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by kewin92
from what I know sapphire blue our dealer in Russia going to order 10 times more than any others in the end of 2013 year.
The key word here is "Russia".
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 PM
sebis
Racer

My dealer doesn't have any 911 or Cayman in Sapphire Blue but I saw today a BMW in Estoril Blue and it looks gorgeous. While not the same color, some posters on the 987-981 forum claim to be really close but a bit darker than Sapphire Blue.

I still don't understand why the limited colors nowadays, the factory where the Macan is build has the latest technology in paint robots and they could swap a color in matter of minutes.

I am also puzzled of why there aren't any non-metallic colors other than white and black available. I know the sports cars from Porsche have also red and yellow, but I would love something like Mexico Blue without having to pay PTS prices.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sebis
I still don't understand why the limited colors nowadays, the factory where the Macan is build has the latest technology in paint robots and they could swap a color in matter of minutes.

I am also puzzled of why there aren't any non-metallic colors other than white and black available. I know the sports cars from Porsche have also red and yellow, but I would love something like Mexico Blue without having to pay PTS prices.
I think it is a combination of 2 forces - forced rarity and marketing.

By limiting the number of colours it generates buzz, just as this forum is experiencing.
The marketing aspect is as the product life cycle goes on, you know they will add and delete colours.
Look at the Cayenne and see the trend of which colours have come and gone over the most recent generations life cycle.
If you wanted a red Cayenne you had to wait till 2013 to get one.
Auburn is gone, replaced by Mahogany.

When the demand is this high, they can play colour games as much as they want.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

Originally Posted by RESP
I agree with half of this. Its marketing. They are marketing the Macan as a sports car and thus showing it everywhere in the sapphire blue as a primary advertising color. Its no accident because sapphire blue is already available in all of the Porsche sports cars, 911, boxster and cayman and at dealerships. So by association with the sapphire blue sports cars we see the Macan from the outset as one of those and change our perspective a bit about suvs by emphasizing the sports side over the utility.

The local dealer told me today that they expected to see the sapphire blue coming to the Macan around October as part of the second allocation. In the meantime worldwide the first allocation of Macans are sold out into the Fall. Obviously they didn't need the sapphire blue to sell that first allocation.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by SeaPors
I agree with half of this. Its marketing. They are marketing the Macan as a sports car and thus showing it everywhere in the sapphire blue as a primary advertising color. Its no accident because sapphire blue is already available in all of the Porsche sports cars, 911, boxster and cayman and at dealerships. So by association with the sapphire blue sports cars we see the Macan from the outset as one of those and change our perspective a bit about suvs by emphasizing the sports side over the utility.

The local dealer told me today that they expected to see the sapphire blue coming to the Macan around October as part of the second allocation. In the meantime worldwide the first allocation of Macans are sold out into the Fall. Obviously they didn't need the sapphire blue to sell that first allocation.
While I can understand the marketing aspect as related to Sapphire Blue, i.e. the early adopters will buy it any color anyway and wait until later in the MY 2015 year to introduce new colors, I don't understand how waiting two years (like with the Cayenne) will give you more sales. It just doesn't makes sense to me: less colors = more sales ???
Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by RESP

By limiting the number of colours it generates buzz, just as this forum is experiencing.
The marketing aspect is as the product life cycle goes on, you know they will add and delete colours.
Look at the Cayenne and see the trend of which colours have come and gone over the most recent generations life cycle.
If you wanted a red Cayenne you had to wait till 2013 to get one.
Auburn is gone, replaced by Mahogany.

When the demand is this high, they can play colour games as much as they want.
Yes, when demand is high they can play it is safe I guess and give us only boring/safe colors to pick. That's why I highly doubt they will allow PTS with the Macan, PTS is too much trouble and while it makes sense when selling $100K++ sports cars, it may not make any business sense with the Macan high level of production.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

My dealer doesn't have any 911 or Cayman in Sapphire Blue but I saw today a BMW in Estoril Blue and it looks gorgeous. While not the same color, some posters on the 987-981 forum claim to be really close but a bit darker than Sapphire Blue.

Sapphire Blue was a std color on the GT3 and RS ... I have seen it in person and its STUNNING!

I find it really hard to believe that dealers will order it on Macan's they configure as they typically dont play with colors like that as it narrows the potential market.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

its quite a bit darker than BMW Estoril Blue ... but it is STUNNING ... if you can wait, wait for it ... it will be worth it!

I'm waiting for it and PCCB ... 05/15 ED...
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 AM
kewin92
Intermediate

From what I've heard - sapphire blue is being produced right now and Porsche going to give it only to VIP clients as special orders. Others will get it in 2015.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 PM
FINN987
Intermediate

What are the latest news or rumors on the Sapphire Blue?
The hardcover model book (WSLA1501000223 EN/US - 10/2013 Edition) reads "Sapphire Blue Metallic available from 10/2014."
Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Sapphire Blue was a std color on the GT3 and RS ... I have seen it in person and its STUNNING!
Are you sure Larry??

.1GT3 came in Cobalt blue, and .2RS came in Aqua blue.

I have never seen this blue in any Porsche before. Otherwise, I would have one in my garage already...

Quick Reply: Sapphire Blue - What is the latest?