Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan interior - looks cramped back there

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche themselves refer to the vehicle as a sportscar in its class. They say literally " Not a compact SUV, but a sportscar" LOL.....

FWIW, I've sat in the Macan at the autoshow in L.A. and as an SQ5 owner I can say that the space in the front is equal (it just feels smaller because of the way the cockpit is designed) and in the back, the headroom is slightly less, but not by much. I had more than enough room in the back, but I'm 5'4". I even fit in the back of a 991
In the driver's seat was my father in law, who is 6'1" and behind him I had more than enough legroom.

If one thinks there's not enough headroom in the front, just leave the panoramic roof out of the configuration, because it lowers the roof with about 1.5-1.8 inches.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Porsche themselves refer to the vehicle as a sportscar in its class. They say literally " Not a compact SUV, but a sportscar" LOL.....

FWIW, I've sat in the Macan at the autoshow in L.A. and as an SQ5 owner I can say that the space in the front is equal (it just feels smaller because of the way the cockpit is designed) and in the back, the headroom is slightly less, but not by much. I had more than enough room in the back, but I'm 5'4". I even fit in the back of a 991
In the driver's seat was my father in law, who is 6'1" and behind him I had more than enough legroom.

If one thinks there's not enough headroom in the front, just leave the panoramic roof out of the configuration, because it lowers the roof with about 1.5-1.8 inches.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Thanks for the info. So based on your experience, is the width of the seats in the back same as SQ5? What about the leg room? One more, do the seats recline in the back like the Audi?
Old 11-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Thanks for the info. So based on your experience, is the width of the seats in the back same as SQ5? What about the leg room? One more, do the seats recline in the back like the Audi?
The width in the back is IMO the same as in my SQ5, legroom is also the same (as far as I could compare it). I don't know if the backseats recline. Didn't check that to be honest.
On the Audi that is an option BTW, not a standard feature (it also diveds the backseats in 3 seperate parts 40-20-40 instead of 60-40). Mine doesn't have that...

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 11-28-2013, 09:30 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
"only the evoque is smaller"

i wish the reviewer would stop calling it a sUv.
Evoke does not look like an suv, just an ugly looking electric iron on wheels which you can squeeze a couple of very short people into.

Macan on the other hand is not exactly being referred to as an SUV by Porsche but let's all face it, that is what it essentially is when you look at it! OP has just made the most logical observation.

I think if room is going to be a likely issue then best to just get something more roomier like cayenne etc.. Me personally i would get a proper sports car if I wanted a sports car.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:45 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
Evoke does not look like an suv, just an ugly looking electric iron on wheels which you can squeeze a couple of very short people into.

Macan on the other hand is not exactly being referred to as an SUV by Porsche but let's all face it, that is what it essentially is when you look at it! OP has just made the most logical observation.

I think if room is going to be a likely issue then best to just get something more roomier like cayenne etc.. Me personally i would get a proper sports car if I wanted a sports car.
Well, I already have an SUV and can't fit a rear facing convertible seat in a 911, thus the Macan is appealing to my needs. I would have taken a proper sedan or wagon instead but that is not happening.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:06 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Well, I already have an SUV and can't fit a rear facing convertible seat in a 911, thus the Macan is appealing to my needs. I would have taken a proper sedan or wagon instead but that is not happening.
Yes i'd go along with that. A sedan is just plain boring to me. Having ride height and good vision is just so much nicer for a multipurpose vehicle. Having good vision is so important and that's where evoke is an epic fail just on that point alone. With a baby I would also agree going Cayenne or something equivalent at this stage is not necessary unless you really need the room for others. Porsche's SUV's thankfully possess good road behaviour with good power along with good ergonomics so I guess whatever SUV you currently have is a bit sloppy and boring.

Last edited by speed21; 11-28-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:02 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

After taking a closer look at walk thrus of the interior, I agree it looks a bit tight in the back. Really depends on what one is looking for I suppose given Porsche is marketing the Macan as a sports car with utility features. I'm anxious to see one live, only 5-6 more months!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Brix
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sat in the back seats of both the Audi SQ5 and the Macan at the LA Auto Show. In my opinion, rear seating in the Macan is definitely tighter. You can fit 3 adults across in the rear seats of a SQ5 but I would not recommend in the Macan. It is too tight. Plus as mentioned, Macan rear seat headroom is low as compared to the SQ5. If you are 5'-9" or taller, you will be headroom challenged in the rear seats of the Macan.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:57 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

everything in the cross over segment has compromised space.

Anybody looking at this segment has accepted this and with the Macan it is really no different.

the little space (or lack thereof) shouldnt be enough to deter one who is in this segment IMHO.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
everything in the cross over segment has compromised space. Anybody looking at this segment has accepted this and with the Macan it is really no different. the little space (or lack thereof) shouldnt be enough to deter one who is in this segment IMHO.
Bingo. That's why they make a Cayenne too

Quick Reply: Macan interior - looks cramped back there