Macan 2014-Current

Porsche vs BMW

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
And some of us don't want the Macan to compete with the X3.
Here's the problem for Porsche. My wife has a 2019 BMW X3 M40i which we love. Since I have a 911 I have driven several Macan and Cayenne versions, and bluntly none of them can hold a candle to the X3. The X3 is light and nimble like a BMW should be, and all of the Porsche's drive like heavy tanks in comparison. I am not sure why such a great sports car manufacturer can't deliver a driving experience like BMW does, but in my direct experience they do not.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jobunaga
I mean... if we continue to follow this chain of logic, the Macan doesn't compete well with the Kia Sportage on the aspect of interior space. If interior space is ones only criteria for evaluating vehicles, then a Sprinter Van is the only logical choice!
And... the idiots appear in the thread. Why are they permitted here? Please read the topic line to understand the discussion. Some people should not be allowed to have computers.
Old Today, 12:31 AM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Macan is indeed too small for its class. Rear seating area has a pitifully low amount of knee room and the cockpit is claustrophobic for anyone 5'10" and taller. Instruments are too close to the seat when seat is adjusted for proper hip-to-pedals distance. Hip room in the cockpit is too narrow with non-sport seats from console to door trim, for people with "healthy" BMI and low body fat %. Summary: the car is too small.
This is not true. I'm a healthy 5' 11" and it fits me perfectly.
Old Today, 12:43 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrichards
And... the idiots appear in the thread. Why are they permitted here? Please read the topic line to understand the discussion. Some people should not be allowed to have computers.
There is no discussion, you're seeking confirmation bias. The Macan/Cayenne is not for you.
You came into the Macan subforum stirring the pot; what did you expect?
Enjoy the X3.
The following users liked this post:
boyce89976 (Today)
Old Today, 12:49 AM
boyce89976
Instructor

In summary it seems most comments agree with the OP that the Macan doesn't compete well with X3 on the aspect of interior space.
Like another post said, if interior space the decision factor you might be better off with a Santa Fe.
Old Today, 12:52 AM
boyce89976
Instructor

You mean the vague "Porsche vs. BMW" topic line?
The following users liked this post:
Butzi (Today)
Old Today, 02:03 AM
boyce89976
Instructor

Here's the problem for Porsche. My wife has a 2019 BMW X3 M40i which we love. Since I have a 911 I have driven several Macan and Cayenne versions, and bluntly none of them can hold a candle to the X3. The X3 is light and nimble like a BMW should be, and all of the Porsche's drive like heavy tanks in comparison. I am not sure why such a great sports car manufacturer can't deliver a driving experience like BMW does, but in my direct experience they do not.
I'm sorry, but a BMW hasn't handled like a BMW since about 2012. The current crop have lots of power and sloppy handling and road feel compared to earlier models like the original X5, the E46's, etc...

No BMW's on this list...
Nürburgring Lap Times: Fastest Cars And Lap Records In 2024

Not a single BMW made this list either...
Top 5 Fastest SUV's at Nurburgring

Old Today, 08:43 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 116 Posts

In summary it seems most comments agree with the OP that the Macan doesn't compete well with X3 on the aspect of interior space.
Beg to differ. I had an X3 M40i and the rear cargo area was within a few inches of the Macan. Not enough to argue about.
Old Today, 09:04 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Completely dissagree with this. I had an X3 M40i and it handled like a pig compared to my GTS. I even had the upgraded brake package on my 2020 X3 M40i and they pale in comparison to those WC surface coated Porsche brakes. At the time I also owned a 2017 991.2 Carrera S and the Macan GTS was a lot closer to the 911 than the X3 ever was. The transmission in the X3 was crude compared to the PDKs in both the 911 or GTS. In Sport+ mode the X3 slammed the chassis and upset the balance during redline shifts. In the GTS I cannot wait to get out and find a twisty road. In the X3 I had to tone down and mute everything. And the X3 is no lighter than the Macan, but sits a lot higher up and does not have the hunker down stance of the GTS with air suspension.
Old Today, 09:12 AM
DR_DFW
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

If we are talking about the same "handling" term (i.e. driving experience), then you got overwhelmed by the X3's feel of speed and that is it. Handling-wise, any X3, especially the newest one is LOL compared to the Macan (especially the GTS).
My wife had a few of X3s and the "handling" (or "light and nimble") is the last thing I think about when talking about X3...
Old Today, 09:33 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DR_DFW
If we are talking about the same "handling" term (i.e. driving experience), then you got overwhelmed by the X3's feel of speed and that is it. Handling-wise, any X3, especially the newest one is LOL compared to the Macan (especially the GTS).
My wife had a few of X3s and the "handling" (or "light and nimble") is the last thing I think about when talking about X3...
More like underwhelmed by the X3 lack of ablity to stay in a decreasing radius off ramp that neither the 911 or GTS had difficulty maintaning. I drive the same back roads where I live and have for years. I know what speeds I am entering and exiting corners at so its not that the X3 is going that much faster. It wasn't. BTW, my older BMWs (an E39 2002 M5 and an E24 Euro M635) were a lot closer to the Porsches but clearly lacked the straight line speed of the Porsches, esp the 911.