Macan 2014-Current

2021 Macan S CPO Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2024 | 08:57 PM
grebelsm
AutoX

Default 2021 Macan S CPO Report

Hi, first post so please bear with me.
Im in the market for a used 21 Macan S. Im leaning towards CPO and going to look at one in a few days. I read through the CPO report and my concern is around the brakes and tires.

It looks like its right on the cusp for both. The car has 37k miles with only oil / filter changes, spark plugs replaced and alignment, so Im thinking both will have to be replaced soon.
Is it reasonable for me to ask the dealer to replace the brakes and/or tires as a condition of purchase?

Last edited by grebelsm; 09-18-2024 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-18-2024 | 09:34 PM
grebelsm
AutoX

Not to mention it’s coming up on its 40k service, which has also not been performed according to the Carfax https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...bIF3Lk9iXqbtWQ
Old 09-18-2024 | 09:39 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Can you compare it to similarly equipped, CPO'd Macan S's online to help you gauge where it is priced in the market?
The wear might be baked into their pricing already, or use it for leverage in negotiations.

If it meets Porsche's CPO spec, they might not be too flexible, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Maybe keep looking for something you're comfortable with owning (with lower mileage...)

Edit: sorry for the vanilla advice, welcome to Rennlist.
Old 09-18-2024 | 09:49 PM
grebelsm
AutoX

Its listed for 51.9, hoping to get down to 50.7 or so (in the Seattle, WA area). For reference there's a similarly spec'd 2020 S with similar miles listed for 46; carfax looks a bit more comprehensive https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest. I reached out to see their CPO report.

Based on some googling: brakes, tires, and 40k service would cost me like 7k. I feel like if im buying CPO the dealer should eat at least some of that lol.

Old 09-18-2024 | 10:53 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Those prices are coming down. I think you have the market on your side. I'd hate to buy a CPO'd car then turn around and fork out that much $$$ for maintenance items immediately.
Old 09-18-2024 | 11:09 PM
grebelsm
AutoX

Exactly. I’ll see if they’ll agree to do the 40k maintenance and either tires or brakes (I doubt it) but it’s worth a shot, otherwise ill shop around
Old 09-18-2024 | 11:10 PM
Snowytrail
Advanced

Originally Posted by grebelsm
Its listed for 51.9, hoping to get down to 50.7 or so (in the Seattle, WA area). For reference there's a similarly spec'd 2020 S with similar miles listed for 46; carfax looks a bit more comprehensive https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest. I reached out to see their CPO report.

Based on some googling: brakes, tires, and 40k service would cost me like 7k. I feel like if im buying CPO the dealer should eat at least some of that lol.
It's been for sale since 7/7 and they have stepped down the price after starting at $59K. I would offer $48K or $50K w/ new tires and ask if they can throw in the PDK service early.
Old 09-18-2024 | 11:27 PM
grebelsm
AutoX

Yup, that’s a solid plan. Based on maintenance schedules I think the transmission is the only major thing that needs serviced at 40k right?
Old 09-19-2024 | 06:05 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

They should be taking care of all of that to close the sale. If not, and you choose to proceed with the transaction, then don't give them the pleasure of your business for those items.

Find an independent shop with PIWIS who can do the PDK fluid and other maintenance for a fraction of the price. Order the N0 tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to your local installer. Change the brake pads only for only a few hundred dollars in OE parts for DIY or plus a few hours of labor at at Indy shop. Don't bother with the rotors unless there's a true structural issue with them, it's not needed at 37k miles.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 09-19-2024 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 10:31 AM
grebelsm
AutoX

Thank you for the advice, I’ll definitely look for a reputable Indy shop around me for out of warranty maintenance.

Do you think it’s reasonable for me to ask them to do all 3: brakes tires and PDK? Genuine question, this will only be my second car purchase.

I can’t help but think that they probably got a good deal from the last owner by saying ‘we’re going to need to put new brakes and tires on it’ lol
Old 09-19-2024 | 10:35 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Low ball them with an offer. I think you will get the discount you want.
Old 09-19-2024 | 10:39 AM
grebelsm
AutoX

Yeah, I wouldn’t even mind paying somewhere near their ad price if they did all the work it will soon need. But if they don’t, I’d definitely be passing the cost of it onto them otherwise no deal
Old 09-19-2024 | 10:51 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Thank you for the advice, I’ll definitely look for a reputable Indy shop around me for out of warranty maintenance.

Do you think it’s reasonable for me to ask them to do all 3: brakes tires and PDK? Genuine question, this will only be my second car purchase.

I can’t help but think that they probably got a good deal from the last owner by saying ‘we’re going to need to put new brakes and tires on it’ lol
I agree with your last sentence. They will always try to benefit from both sides of the deal. I think that brakes and tires have the best argument since they are safety items. The PDK/Oil/Air filter 40K service is a huge money maker for them so they may not give it up as quickly since the car still has a few thousand miles, but to that point, it costs them the least of the three. I would still push for it all.
Old 09-19-2024 | 11:15 AM
grebelsm
AutoX

I really appreciate the advice. Logistics wise, if they agree to do the work, then I assume we’d draft up some conditional sale document that outlines the work they need to do as part of the transaction? Then I can purchase it on the spot and pick up when it’s ready?
Old 09-19-2024 | 04:28 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

I really appreciate the advice. Logistics wise, if they agree to do the work, then I assume we’d draft up some conditional sale document that outlines the work they need to do as part of the transaction? Then I can purchase it on the spot and pick up when it’s ready?
It can differ but in my experience, they can draft a simple "We Owe" document thats attached to the contract. You can then buy it and take it home to schedule for a future drop-off or leave it and get a loaner.

Quick Reply: 2021 Macan S CPO Report