Macan 2014-Current

Heated steering wheel retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Heated steering wheel retrofit?

Considering a car that lacks a heated wheel. Can a steering wheel be retrofitted to be heated or can a used heated wheel be swapped in?
Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I just went through this with my '19 Cayenne.

You can't retrofit a non-heated steering wheel to heated.

You'll need a steering wheel that is factory fitted with heating.

You'll also need a clock spring that functions with a heated steering wheel. The clock spring will need to work with any other options that your car has (adaptive cruise for example.)

I was lucky to find an appropriate heated steering wheel on eBay. It was in great shape. Cost - $700.

I had to purchase the clock spring new. Delaware Porsche had the best price. It was about $500 or so.

I did the swap myself. The local Porsche dealer had to enable the heating function using a PIWIS, and also reset error codes associated with disconnecting the battery for the steering wheel / clock spring swap.

Obviously the project is doable. But even in a best-case scenario - it's not cheap to accomplish.

Heated steering wheel and replacement clock spring.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
mark8
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

You can buy one fully programmed for your vehicle from InnovativeSoft. I did this to add Sport Chrono.
Old Today, 01:34 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark8
You can buy one fully programmed for your vehicle from InnovativeSoft. I did this to add Sport Chrono.
Perhaps you can provide a link to InnovativeSoft's specific offering of a heated steering wheel for a Macan...

If they have such a product, it should also reference the need for a replacement clock spring

I've reviewed their site and see no mention of a heated steering wheel retrofit...

Old Today, 05:15 PM
mark8
Instructor

Gen 2:
https://www.innovativesoftnz.com/pro...steering-wheel
(They have the leather GT version well if the carbon fiber isn't your thing)
Gen 3:
https://www.innovativesoftnz.com/pro...vation-cayenne

​​​​​​The gen 2 version definitely has heat. I have it. It is 100% OEM and comes preprogrammed for your vin. I cannot speak about the gen 3 version but you can contact InnovativeSoft and they will respond quickly.
Old Today, 05:31 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Gen 2:
https://www.innovativesoftnz.com/pro...steering-wheel
(They have the leather GT version well if the carbon fiber isn't your thing)
Gen 3:
https://www.innovativesoftnz.com/pro...vation-cayenne

​​​​​​The gen 2 version definitely has heat. I have it. It is 100% OEM and comes preprogrammed for your vin. I cannot speak about the gen 3 version but you can contact InnovativeSoft and they will respond quickly.
The description they provide says "retains heat" - which to me means that if your current steering wheel has heating, you will be able to retain that function with their wheel.

But - if you presently do not have a heated wheel, then a replacement steering wheel with heating will not get you where you need to be.

You need the replacement clock spring in order for that new heated steering wheel to work.

Old Today, 06:49 PM
mark8
Instructor

@innovativesoft Contact Raymond at InnovativeSoft. Not joking, he knows the tech on these vehicles better than the dealers. He will be able to conclusively answer this. I would expect that the connections are all there and it is just a matter of whether the steering wheel itself has the heating element and button. That was certainly the case for sport Chrono. All the connections were right there ready to go even though my vehicle didn't come with sport Chrono.
Old Today, 07:09 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

@innovativesoft Contact Raymond at InnovativeSoft. Not joking, he knows the tech on these vehicles better than the dealers. He will be able to conclusively answer this. I would expect that the connections are all there and it is just a matter of whether the steering wheel itself has the heating element and button. That was certainly the case for sport Chrono. All the connections were right there ready to go even though my vehicle didn't come with sport Chrono.
I just went through this process and regardless of the impression you're under, if the Macan does not have steering wheel heating it needs the following:

1) A replacement steering wheel with the heating function

2) A multi-function switch / aka / clock spring. This part has the connection for the heating wiring connector plug on the steering wheel itself that will enable the heating to work. If you don't have the proper clock spring, there's no connector. A Macan that came from the factory without steering wheel heating does not have the correct clock spring for a heated steering wheel.

3) Coding done by the dealer (via PIWIS) to activate the heating function.

Here's a link that shows an example of a Macan clock spring that would be needed for heating functionality:

https://agestyling.com/products/pors...42058778149044

Quick Reply: Heated steering wheel retrofit?