Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Which is a better spec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 03:55 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

It took 3 weeks to find a stock OEM windshield that was NOT the insulated glass. i can only imagine what the wait would be for the insulated glass
Old 08-26-2024, 07:24 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I would say - since I only have experinece with what I wrote about - I can't give you a fair assessments - I also have put mile after mile on half ton pickups - X5M (2010), Panamarra Turbo (2012), Raptor (2014), Raptor (2018), AT4 (2020), then the Macan S . I put just under 100k on each. The half ton trucks offer great value and mine had no isues at all - tires and oil changes - thats it. Stepped up to F-350 for towing, so went to Macan for DD.

GLWD
Old 08-26-2024, 07:26 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
It took 3 weeks to find a stock OEM windshield that was NOT the insulated glass. i can only imagine what the wait would be for the insulated glass
I recently had to change out my insulated glass windshied for 2023 GTS - here in S. Cal - was no problem sourcing one - now the price was another thing! LOL
Old 08-26-2024, 11:35 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
I drove an S (2023) for 5 months (lease) while my GTS (2023) was on order and it was a very nice SUV. Below is link to my post on comparison of the two. If you drive a ton of miles, both will depreciate a lot, so get what you will enjoy driving the most is my thought. If you $$$ feel better at the S level - you can't go wrong - especially the spec of the one you noted with Air suspension and Thermal Glass. If you have the budget, you will never regret getting a GTS. GLWD!

Link:https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/13...ly-review.html
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these two different engines? My understanding is the '23 models of the S and GTS share the same engine, just tuned differently (like the GTS and Turbo from previous years). If that's the case, there would be stark differences between the two (280HP vs. 375HP and similar torque differences).

I drove a beautiful 2023 Chalk GTS prior to buying my 2023 S, and the differences are subtle. My S has adaptive air and PASM, Sport Chrono, Premium Plus, Sport Exhaust, Surround View and a couple other nice-to-haves. Options-wise, the GTS doesn't have anything I'd want or need. Performance-wise, the 2.9L S produces only 23 ft lbs. less torque... I doubt anyone outside of someone who has racing experience would be able to tell the difference.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:59 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by boyce89976
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these two different engines? My understanding is the '23 models of the S and GTS share the same engine, just tuned differently (like the GTS and Turbo from previous years). If that's the case, there would be stark differences between the two (280HP vs. 375HP and similar torque differences).

I drove a beautiful 2023 Chalk GTS prior to buying my 2023 S, and the differences are subtle. My S has adaptive air and PASM, Sport Chrono, Premium Plus, Sport Exhaust, Surround View and a couple other nice-to-haves. Options-wise, the GTS doesn't have anything I'd want or need. Performance-wise, the 2.9L S produces only 23 ft lbs. less torque... I doubt anyone outside of someone who has racing experience would be able to tell the difference.
oh... but they could read the gt in front of the s on back LOL
Old 08-28-2024, 01:24 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
oh... but they could read the gt in front of the s on back LOL
Even that probably isn't 100%, LOL!
Old 08-28-2024, 04:52 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 913 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Air suspension no charge for the win for the GTS.
Don't see Sport Chrono, so I guess each has it. Absolute must if not included. Even if costs $1500 or so.
Sales guy told me compass display negates something else, but can't remember which.
Sport Chrono is a standalone option on Macan even on GTS unless it has performance package.
Neither of these builds have it. I also consider Sport Chrono a must have on later model Macans for the dial mode on the wheel.
Compass display negates the analog clock on the dash on non-Sport Chrono cars and negates the stopwatch on the dash on Sport Chrono cars.

how do you know if it has sport chrono? Is that the round button appendage on the steering wheel?
neither have that
$1500 as in it can be added? Or do I need to find a car with it?
both cars have same colors and it’s rare and my top choice so it factors in
Dial on the wheel means Sport Chrono. I consider it a must have but it's some thing people don't miss if they've never used the current version of it or don't know how to use it.
It can be added aftermarket but requires a series of parts changes with the steering wheel and software recoding.
Old 08-28-2024, 05:50 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Sport Chrono is a standalone option on Macan even on GTS unless it has performance package.
Neither of these builds have it. I also consider Sport Chrono a must have on later model Macans for the dial mode on the wheel.
Compass display negates the analog clock on the dash on non-Sport Chrono cars and negates the stopwatch on the dash on Sport Chrono cars.

Dial on the wheel means Sport Chrono. I consider it a must have but it's some thing people don't miss if they've never used the current version of it or don't know how to use it.
It can be added aftermarket but requires a series of parts changes with the steering wheel and software recoding.
thank you for that

the car I most want lacks sport chrono, torque vectoring and heated wheel

plausible to add heated wheel and the sport chrono at the same time?

and is the torq vectoring noticeable in a non track environment?
Old 08-28-2024, 06:11 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 942 Likes on 570 Posts

thank you for that

the car I most want lacks sport chrono, torque vectoring and heated wheel

PTV is not noticeable in DD, but nice to have in the last 1/10 of canyon carving.

Heated wheel ok if you live in a year round arctic weather. Otherwise just nice to have in anything less.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:14 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 913 Likes on 560 Posts

I don't know. Probably but you are looking at spending time and money.

I find it to be. It helps rotate the vehicle in sharp u-turns and roundabouts with minimal body roll. It's also the only way to have a limited slip differential so if you will be driving in low traction situations like snow, it would be beneficial to have. However, it's one of the least selected options. It used to be nearly impossible to find on pre-owned until Porsche offered it in the performance package for the GTS. I just searched on Porsche Finder and there are only 31 nationwide with PTV+.
The following users liked this post:
Terry Adams (08-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Which is a better spec?