Macan 2014-Current

Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 11:57 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts
Question Car Washes

For the Macan I run it through a car wash about twice a month ...NEVER the 911 !!
First I thoroughly clean the wheels...using a 30/1 mix of Dawn and 3 brushes ... takes about 30 minutes, car wash does not clean the inside of the wheel, then one of the Tire coatings
The car wash I use is Brushless" has strips of ?? comes out dry ($ 10 outside only) hardly pays to do it myself, as you drive in, there are 2 "extra" services over the "basic" wash, Graphene and ---something else--?
for an extra charge...IIRC these car washes have to recycle the water ??
So, my question is (Inquiring mind) isn't there Graphene already in the water???
Yeah i know First World Problem !!!
Old 07-20-2024, 02:51 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Just be careful of the spinning wheel cleaner.
Had one couple months ago that kept going in the front bumper.
$2600 scratch and new bumper that their insurance paid for.
Hand ceramic wash from me now.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MacanFender.pdf (11.72 MB, 28 views)

Last edited by Terry Adams; 07-21-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:32 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Just be careful of the spinning wheel cleaner.
Had one couple months ago that kept going in the front bumper.
$2600 scratch and new bumper that their insurance paid for.
Hand ceramic wash from me now.
Ouch...
Old 07-20-2024, 06:32 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

This September my Macan Turbo will turn 5. Currently at 80,000 miles. Aside from the TCC leak at 30k she’s been flawless. At 75, I no longer abuse any of my recent runs of vehicles since everyone was my DD. I’m the only one that washes our cars. Not even my wife is allowed. I bring my vehicles into my garage at a 45 degree angle. Lots of room. No fear of water spots. No sunburn. A car wash? Nah. Btw, when I had my garage redone I had them use a waterproof 4x8 sheets run horizontally. This allows me to use a hose and not worry about overspray and melting sheet rock.

The following 3 users liked this post by ///Bruce:
gellenole (07-26-2024), mark8 (07-25-2024), Terry Adams (07-20-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 04:55 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
This September my Macan Turbo will turn 5. Currently at 80,000 miles. Aside from the TCC leak at 30k she’s been flawless. At 75, I no longer abuse any of my recent runs of vehicles since everyone was my DD. I’m the only one that washes our cars. Not even my wife is allowed. I bring my vehicles into my garage at a 45 degree angle. Lots of room. No fear of water spots. No sunburn. A car wash? Nah. Btw, when I had my garage redone I had them use a waterproof 4x8 sheets run horizontally. This allows me to use a hose and not worry about overspray and melting sheet rock.
Washing in the garage is great! I switched to rinseless washing a few years back to better accommodate my early morning hours spent in the garage.

I use handheld pressurized foaming and non-foaming pump sprayers for the bath and most importantly, a portable, spotless water filtration unit to avoid any water spots.
Old 07-22-2024, 10:27 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 604 Likes on 270 Posts

Car wash - always an emotional topic. I have a 992 Cabrio that I wash by hand (because it’s a full body PPF). Everything else (incl. a Z4 in the past) goes through a cloth car wash. It’s a car (not a sacred artifact). And I have no time (or passion) to wash a bunch of cars on a regular basis.
But YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
dak911 (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 12:41 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
Car wash - always an emotional topic. I have a 992 Cabrio that I wash by hand (because it’s a full body PPF). Everything else (incl. a Z4 in the past) goes through a cloth car wash. It’s a car (not a sacred artifact). And I have no time (or passion) to wash a bunch of cars on a regular basis.
But YMMV.
Have you considered a Laser Wash for your car with PPF ?
Old 07-22-2024, 06:11 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 604 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
Have you considered a Laser Wash for your car with PPF ?
Have not used one. But given its touchless, ie uses high pressure washers, I would be concerned about the a soft top Cabrio in it. The benefit of PPF / ceramic coating is that I can wash the Cabrio with a one bucket ONR solution and wipe off with microfiber towels in about 15min without concerns of any damage.
Old 07-23-2024, 10:19 AM
Reggie3
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use touchless car wash. I always used them for my Audis in the winter here in Colordo. But now I have medical conditions that prevents me from waxing every 3 months and hand washing every week with a blow dryer. The hands free wash had been great for my Audis because I always changed my pads to ceramic so no dust. But there is is a lack of aftermarket pads for the new Macan S. So the car wash is not good enough for the wheels. I went with ceramic for the paint that is great.
Facebook Post

I have to figure something out for my rims

Old 07-23-2024, 10:41 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Reggie3
I use touchless car wash. I always used them for my Audis in the winter here in Colordo. But now I have medical conditions that prevents me from waxing every 3 months and hand washing every week with a blow dryer. The hands free wash had been great for my Audis because I always changed my pads to ceramic so no dust. But there is is a lack of aftermarket pads for the new Macan S. So the car wash is not good enough for the wheels. I went with ceramic for the paint that is great. https://www.facebook.com/share/v/xie...ibextid=oFDknk

I have to figure something out for my rims
Yeah kinda sucks, I "used to" enjoy washing and waxing...no more...about the the wheels, I have a bucket that I sit on, to clean the wheels, 3 brushes, the hose nearby and Dawn in a 1 to 30 part water mix,,,then tire shine.
Not too bad on the back,,,,,the "Touchless" carwash does a good job for the rest of it...
Old 07-24-2024, 09:34 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
Have not used one. But given its touchless, ie uses high pressure washers, I would be concerned about the a soft top Cabrio in it. The benefit of PPF / ceramic coating is that I can wash the Cabrio with a one bucket ONR solution and wipe off with microfiber towels in about 15min without concerns of any damage.
If you are like most of us, cleaning our own car soon becomes tedious.
Perhaps you can call your local Porsche Dealer and ask if the soft top Cabrio is at risk of damage at a touchless laser wash. I have been using a laser wash to clean my 2020 Porsche 992 C4S
with a full PPF SunTek wrap and ceramic coating for four years and there has been absolutely no pealing of the PPF and the car continues to look brand new.
I would be curious to hear what your dealer would have to say about this.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:47 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Porsche manual says
No high pressure cleaners
No Hot Wax
Use a Car Wash that has a Convertible Top Wash PROGRAM ?? (Whatever that means)
Do NOT clean the convertible top every time you wash the car
ONLY when the top is HEAVILY SOILED should you clean it with lukewarm water and a CONVERTIBLE TOP SHAMPOO gently with a sponge or soft brush
So I guess a regular car wash is NOT a good idea
Old 07-27-2024, 10:10 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,295 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
Porsche manual says
No high pressure cleaners
No Hot Wax
Use a Car Wash that has a Convertible Top Wash PROGRAM ?? (Whatever that means)
Do NOT clean the convertible top every time you wash the car
ONLY when the top is HEAVILY SOILED should you clean it with lukewarm water and a CONVERTIBLE TOP SHAMPOO gently with a sponge or soft brush
So I guess a regular car wash is NOT a good idea
This is the stuff to use...

Quick Reply: Car Washes