Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Auto lock question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024 | 02:02 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Default Auto lock question

My car just started locking itself. About thirty seconds after parking in the garage and getting out, I hear the “chirp,chirp” and realized the car is locked. It has never done this before, and I can’t find anything in the manual about this feature. Appreciate any advice, thanks.
Old 07-07-2024 | 08:55 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by wbferran
My car just started locking itself. About thirty seconds after parking in the garage and getting out, I hear the “chirp,chirp” and realized the car is locked. It has never done this before, and I can’t find anything in the manual about this feature. Appreciate any advice, thanks.
I would change your name for the car to 'Hal'.
Old 07-08-2024 | 11:39 AM
wbferran
Instructor

Could this be a warning that the battery needs to be changed? As far as i know it is the original battery from 2017
The following users liked this post:
Terry Adams (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024 | 11:43 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Had this with my 993, outside the car pumping gas.
Panicked until I felt for the key in my pocket. Still don't know what caused it.
Old 07-08-2024 | 12:08 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Definitely an issue that you should discuss with your Porsche Dealer's service department.
Old 07-08-2024 | 03:43 PM
quallzone
Intermediate

A failing battery was one of the thoughts that crossed my mind. Have you experienced other "random" issues, such as Engine Auto-Start/Stop refusing to function until 30-45 minutes of steady driving, or occasionally quirky AC controls for the first few minutes? If so, you might want to get the battery and/or vehicle tested.

I had an original Macan battery (Varta brand, manufactured the 16th week of 2017), which I replaced last week. Now auto-start/stop is functioning properly again, and a few other electrical "quirks and features" immediately disappeared.

Last edited by quallzone; 07-08-2024 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2024 | 12:09 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Originally Posted by quallzone
A failing battery was one of the thoughts that crossed my mind. Have you experienced other "random" issues, such as Engine Auto-Start/Stop refusing to function until 30-45 minutes of steady driving, or occasionally quirky AC controls for the first few minutes? If so, you might want to get the battery and/or vehicle tested.

I had an original Macan battery (Varta brand, manufactured the 16th week of 2017), which I replaced last week. Now auto-start/stop is functioning properly again, and a few other electrical "quirks and features" immediately disappeared.
no other quirks like you mentioned but I am a little concerned about a seven year old battery
Old 07-09-2024 | 02:11 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

no other quirks like you mentioned but I am a little concerned about a seven year old battery
REPLACE THE BATTERY
It will quit on you at the most inopportune time Cheap insurance.....
There is something about Auto Locking if you lock and open it again....??????
Old 07-15-2024 | 07:58 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

My 22 GTS does something similar, but it is random and takes longer than 30 seconds (usually overnight). My battery is in great shape as I put a charger on it most nights. Key fob is stored within about 15 ft of the car (room above garage).
Old 08-18-2024 | 07:46 PM
quallzone
Intermediate

@wbferran Did you resolve the auto door lock issue? If so, was it battery-related? Or did you, the dealership, or an independent mechanic find another cause?
Just following up, in case other Macan owners encounter the same problem.
Best Regards, and happy driving!
Old 08-18-2024 | 08:12 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Everything checked out normal. I changed out the car battery because it was seven years old. We also put a new battery into the key fob. Since then, there hasn’t been auto lock issues. So……… not sure what the dealio was, it that is what happened. If I had to guess, I would blame a weak key fob battery.
The following users liked this post:
quallzone (08-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Auto lock question