Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cracked Front Camera Lens Cover - Anybody else??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 04:19 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked Front Camera Lens Cover - Anybody else??

This happened 4 days after waxing it for the first time. I have found a post that this also happened on a Cayenne. I find it hard to believe that a rock hit it dead center in both circumstances with no other damage. Of course the dealer said he could replace it for $2K which includes a "recalibration" for the 360 degree camera. The camera works fine, it is just the cover! Has anybody else seen this problem before?

Old 07-03-2024, 04:38 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

It happened on another new car several years ago, and on the way home from the dealer, to add insult to injury. So it can happen. Guess it was your 'lucky' turn now; sorry to hear about that. But only an impact will cause that. Either from a stone, or a hard bug at speed. I was quoted something similarly insane to replace it, so never replaced it. I could still see a little, but I relied mostly on the front parking sensors. You could make an insurance claim, but it'd probably raise your rates, so I decided not to. Automakers should make those stupid cameras easy to replace, with no need to remove anything. Just push them in. Or maybe a connector right behind it, if anything. But the way most are, require the freaking bumper to come out. And then you have possible tab and/or other damage, that techs wouldn't tell, or they'd have to pay for it.
Old 07-03-2024, 05:05 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

I've had that happen on a pror vehicle which is why I now use PPF on all my cameras:

https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/13...n-cameras.html

If its just the cover, see if you can find the part with detailed photos on ebay so that you can asses if its a simple replacement of a non-electronic part. You probably wouldn't need an ADAS calibration even if its the whole camera and nothing has physically changed with the mounting location. If not a DIY, find an indy shop that can help, and better if they have PIWIS should an activation step need to occur. There is an activation/calibration step in this rear camera upgrade tutorial but I am not sure if thats because an entirely new device was used vs. a straight replacement.

I think the dealer is wanting to charge for an ADAS calibration which aligns the various cameras for the 360 view but its hard to tell if that also includes a simple device activation step.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 07-03-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 02:51 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

A 360 camera shouldn't need any calibration at all; they only show you what's in front of them. But if you have to remove the bumper, where the adaptive cruise sensor is (below the camera), then maybe. Or the windshield, where the cameras for lane departure and lane keep assist are, then maybe those too. And it'd be awesome if you could just replace the lens, but I don't see how. Will keep an eye on this thread, just in case.
Old 07-04-2024, 04:36 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
A 360 camera shouldn't need any calibration at all; they only show you what's in front of them. But if you have to remove the bumper, where the adaptive cruise sensor is (below the camera), then maybe. Or the windshield, where the cameras for lane departure and lane keep assist are, then maybe those too. And it'd be awesome if you could just replace the lens, but I don't see how. Will keep an eye on this thread, just in case.
They need calibration to stitch and blend the image outputs together.
​​​​
If the location of a camera changes upon replacement, even by a few mm, you can get something like this. The rear is pointing a few mm too low and the image doesn't match up with the side view camera output.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 07-04-2024 at 04:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (07-04-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 08:10 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Interesting. Thank you for pointing that out. Glad mine doesn't have that. Ha ha. But sometimes the front camera helps a lot. Wish the Cayman came with that feature, but they don't (just parking sensors in front). Take care.
Old 07-10-2024, 01:58 PM
rharris818
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just happened to my 2022 Cayenne and also having real trouble believing a rock or something hit only the camera dead on. I have driven the car once for like 2 miles since I know it was fine. No other marks/damage at all. Interestingly, the dealer mentioned they had a loaner that was about to come in with just the same problem. They estimated fix at $2,600 because of same removal of bumper and recalibration. Was hoping to find others that said they had it fixed as a flaw or other warranty type repair. Seems odd.

Old 07-10-2024, 09:09 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

The lens cover on mine was chipped when I took delivery (sales manager had driven it a couple thousand miles as his executive car). Since it was a new car, Porsche replaced it under warranty, but it took some cajoling.

Quick Reply: Cracked Front Camera Lens Cover - Anybody else??