Macan 2014-Current

PIWIS III Coding / Retrofit / Feature Request

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 04:49 PM
mark8
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy07
You performed this in E mode , that is why. V mode , or English, you need to add .
Glad you got it to work.
Apparently I have plenty to learn... Educate me on E vs V mode and why the programming would be have differently between the two. I have not encountered the setting for that yet, but I'm still just sipping my toes in.

Here is the post that was my reference but did not work... https://www.macanforum.com/posts/1361593/ (at least in the mode I was in)
Old 06-29-2024, 06:42 PM
mark8
Instructor

Switch your rig to V mode, you will not see the adjustment screen you used. Just saying that it DOES work by using the normal calibration mode in V mode and entering correctly.
And how does one "switch to V Mode" and what do the two modes mean? Perhaps some explanation and instructions would be more useful than just letting me know "I'm wrong". This is what I'm hoping to improve here... There is a decent learning curve with PIWIS. I am hoping to organize information (in time) to help folks who are NOT experts get up to speed more quickly. Hopefully that makes sense. The other instructions apparently have prerequisite instructions that are NOT spelled out anywhere I am reading yet. I haven't absorbed all 26 pages of the magic post just yet though. Make sense? There is a serious lack of consolidated information for this related to Macan.
The following users liked this post:
mustarossa (07-05-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 07:02 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

There’s lot on YouTube, have a look.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:20 PM
mark8
Instructor

There’s lot on YouTube, have a look.
Thanks. I see it now. But why does the same setting function differently between the two modes? And is there harm in using the height adjustment vs adjusting the height measurement? I'm legitimately asking. I am curious if the end result is the same or if one will end up functionally different from the other.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:46 PM
mark8
Instructor

Circling back on this. I went back in and restored the original stock settings (in E mode) and height returned to stock in real time. Then I switched to V mode to try this again. I restarted the PIWIS system and verified it was still in V mode. Then I tried a variety of values started with measured value +20 and then measured value +30. Absolutely no change to the actual height of the suspension. Then, still in V mode, I programmed the adjusted height setting -20, as I had done yesterday, and the suspension lowered. Am I still doing something wrong? Or is it possible that the instructions need to change for the latest versions of PIWIS?

Also, I read through the golden post entirely over on macanforum just to get more context. A large number of the seemly important posts have been deleted. Let's get some up to date documentation going... I'm going to sync up with Ray and team at InnovativeSoft as well on a few items.
Old 06-30-2024, 03:13 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Try this from this thread :
https://www.macanforum.com/threads/w....171159/page-3

The way you start the calibration process is:

STEP 1: Calibrate to Reset to Factory... Measure the distance between the wheel center and the fender edge for all wheels and enter each value in the respective field in PIWIS screen. The car will automatically go to stock height. Don’t assume it already is.

STEP 2: Calibrate to Lower Car.... Then, you repeat the process, measure, this time add the height you want to drop to each actual measurement you are taking, and then the car will adjust (lower) to whatever number you added.

Now, if you want to know how much lower a GTS is relative to a Turbo so that you can add that difference while calibrating using the procedure above, that’s then a fair question. The Macan GTS with A/S sits 10mm lower than the Macan S/Turbo with A/S...

Porsche Macan model overview - Porsche Middle East

The Porsche Macan. A Sports Car that is practical but never ordinary. With 5 doors and 5 seats. With plenty of space for hobbies, leisure and sport.
www.porsche.com
I went with 20mm myself, and I think that’s the sweet spot in my opinion.

Note: I can’t stress enough the importance of the first step above. If you start with STEP 2, you may end up with slight differences in the height of your different wheels. If you add the values you want to lower your car to whatever numbers are showing in the screen without measuring, your car will behave in very strange ways. It could drop all the way to the floor. Bringing the car back up from the floor is very difficult and will take several iterations of calibration. Talking with experience here... all that happened to me, hence why I follow the above procedure religiously. You will have no problems if you follow the steps above.

Important Note: Say, you lowered initially 10mm and didn’t like it. Do not go to step 2 from there, you will screw things up. Go to step 1. Reset to factory, then step 2, add another quantity. ALWAYS RESET TO FACTORY before calibrating for a different height.
Old 06-30-2024, 09:02 PM
mark8
Instructor

Try this from this thread :
https://www.macanforum.com/threads/w....171159/page-3

The way you start the calibration process is:

STEP 1: Calibrate to Reset to Factory... Measure the distance between the wheel center and the fender edge for all wheels and enter each value in the respective field in PIWIS screen. The car will automatically go to stock height. Don’t assume it already is.

STEP 2: Calibrate to Lower Car.... Then, you repeat the process, measure, this time add the height you want to drop to each actual measurement you are taking, and then the car will adjust (lower) to whatever number you added.

Now, if you want to know how much lower a GTS is relative to a Turbo so that you can add that difference while calibrating using the procedure above, that’s then a fair question. The Macan GTS with A/S sits 10mm lower than the Macan S/Turbo with A/S...

Porsche Macan model overview - Porsche Middle East

The Porsche Macan. A Sports Car that is practical but never ordinary. With 5 doors and 5 seats. With plenty of space for hobbies, leisure and sport.
www.porsche.com
I went with 20mm myself, and I think that’s the sweet spot in my opinion.

Note: I can’t stress enough the importance of the first step above. If you start with STEP 2, you may end up with slight differences in the height of your different wheels. If you add the values you want to lower your car to whatever numbers are showing in the screen without measuring, your car will behave in very strange ways. It could drop all the way to the floor. Bringing the car back up from the floor is very difficult and will take several iterations of calibration. Talking with experience here... all that happened to me, hence why I follow the above procedure religiously. You will have no problems if you follow the steps above.

Important Note: Say, you lowered initially 10mm and didn’t like it. Do not go to step 2 from there, you will screw things up. Go to step 1. Reset to factory, then step 2, add another quantity. ALWAYS RESET TO FACTORY before calibrating for a different height.
Very nice. I will try this. Totally different approach. One thought though. This seems very similar to lowering links. That is, you are telling the vehicle it's measuring differently (higher) than it really is and that tricks the system into resetting itself to a lower height. My concern with this is the same reason I removed the lowering links I had tried. That reason is that these leveling sensors will have the headlights at the wrong height, potentially requiring another calibration. So I'm wondering if the height adjustment I've found will keep the lights at the right height. I don't know for sure. Just thinking out loud. It would be great to be able to tell the car the real height you're setting, rather than tricking the system. Thoughts?

Last edited by mark8; 06-30-2024 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 09:17 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by mark8
Very nice. I will try this. Totally different approach. One thought though. This seems very similar to lowering links. That is, you are telling the vehicle it's measuring differently (higher) than it really is and that tricks the system into resetting itself to a lower height. My concern with this is the same reason I removed the lowering links I had tried. That reason is that these leveling sensors will have the headlights at the wrong height, potentially requiring another calibration. So I'm wondering if the height adjustment I've found will keep the lights at the right height. I don't know for sure. Just thinking out loud. It would be great to be able to tell the car the real height you're setting, rather than tricking the system. Thoughts?
Further question/thought... When I toggle between the original programmed "adjustment" settings and the updated, lower adjustment settings that I previously posted, the results are determinisitc. The vehicle returns perfectly to the original stock measurements that my Turbo came with at all for corners. While I know these settings are going vary a bit from vehicle to vehicle, even with the exact same hardware, I'm curious what these settings read out from a few other vehicles... In particular, a Gen2 GTS. I am thinking the adjustment field may be different and that may be the trigger that tells the vehicle what stock height means. Again, this is just guessing at this stage, but there has to be a setting in there that instructs the system not just what the last set of measurements were but also what stock means for a given VIN. If anyone else is able to snap their stock values for those 8 fields, I would love to see them to help give some more data to this discussion. They are:

And those are my unmodified values.
Old 07-05-2024, 11:07 AM
mark8
Instructor

Default Suspension Height Adjustment procedure

Here is a video showing the preferred height adjustment procedure -

This can be done the same way in both "E" and "V" modes in PIWIS.

The video shows restoring from lowered to stock. But the procedure is the same to go from stock to lowered.

Sorry about the background noise. The vehicle is running during the whole video...

Last edited by mark8; 07-05-2024 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
don16 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 12:33 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a video showing the preferred height adjustment procedure - https://youtu.be/FWBw8k-DHqo?si=Epw5W5kN3aV7BuUU

The video shows restoring from lowered to stock. But the procedure is the same to go from stock to lowered.
I actually think this method makes more sense and it would be interesting to compare values on the GTS which is lowered by factory.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:34 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a video showing the preferred height adjustment procedure - https://youtu.be/FWBw8k-DHqo?si=Epw5W5kN3aV7BuUU

Oh one more thing, you dont get these coding options in the normal V (aftersales) mode.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:49 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by don16
Oh one more thing, you dont get these coding options in the normal V (aftersales) mode.
That's interesting, I get the options in both V and E modes... I wonder if the system from InnovativeSoft is set up differently from some of the others.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:52 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by don16
I actually think this method makes more sense and it would be interesting to compare values on the GTS which is lowered by factory.
Totally agree. I asked for that in a previous post on this thread. If anyone has a GTS with PASM and can snap those values, it would be really useful information. The first 4 (measurement values) are not so important, but the second 4 (adjustment values) I am thinking should be different (lower) than the stock turbo values, which again were ~ 190 [front] and 172 [rear] on mine.
Old 07-05-2024, 08:23 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

If anyone has a GTS with PASM and can snap those values, it would be really useful information.
You're referring to GTS PASM -20, right? Because you can have PASM -20, or PASM -10. The latter is a no-cost option, since GTSs come standard with PASM -20mm (as well as air suspension). I do have PASM -20 (meaning no mention of PASM -10 on the build sheet), but don't have PIWIS, so can't help you there. I'm sure somebody else will.

EDIT: I think PASM -20 is Sport PASM, and PASM -10 just PASM. If that's the case, never mind. You're referring to PASM -10mm, obviously. Sorry about that.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-05-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 09:11 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by JCtx
You're referring to GTS PASM -20, right? Because you can have PASM -20, or PASM -10. The latter is a no-cost option, since GTSs come standard with PASM -20mm (as well as air suspension). I do have PASM -20 (meaning no mention of PASM -10 on the build sheet), but don't have PIWIS, so can't help you there. I'm sure somebody else will.

EDIT: I think PASM -20 is Sport PASM, and PASM -10 just PASM. If that's the case, never mind. You're referring to PASM -10mm, obviously. Sorry about that.
My understanding is that GTS PASM is -20 vs Turbo (and others with Air suspension). This is pre-Gen3. Perhaps Gen3 GTS has -20 (standard) and -10 (option)?

​​​​​​It's all the same parts from what I researched. So it simply programming. Maybe it's these parameters I've found or maybe it's another setting that is yet to be understood. My dealership claims that they are not savvy with customizations. So I can't conclusively answer it.

I know there are folks here that have paid their dealer to lower their GTS or Turbo. Maybe they could get their dealer to spill the beans as to whether they faked it out with the high calibration method or used the height adjustment setting I documented, or other.

Quick Reply: PIWIS III Coding / Retrofit / Feature Request