Macan 2014-Current

Porsche Protection Plan (extended warranty) for Macan

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 10:43 AM
mark8
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I personally don’t have much confidence with dealerships. Case in point: I was notified today that my car was ready. The SA said that the tech could not replicate the issues and that they just cleared the fault codes. Hmmmm….what a waste of my time as I could have done the same myself! About an hour before heading out to pick up the car, the SA called and said that my car was “stuck” in their car wash because they couldn’t move the shift lever (original problem). Ironic!
Ha. that's funny (but unfortunate). I guess not all dealerships are created equal. I always ask about the experience level of the folks working in the shop (ask the management team, not the techs themselves). I like to meet them too. I don't make a big deal about it, but I offer things like "may I show the tech my concern", or "would they show me what they are seeing?" Even if it is against dealer policy, they will typically walk you back and go through things with you. You will be able to tell within a few minutes whether you want the person working on your car or not. It's easy to spot the seasoned techs who have a passion for what they do. My dealer (and probably most) put the folks with less experience on VW, then they work their way up through Audi, and they only get to Porsche when they are the best of their team. The Porsche techs make $$$$. And they don't work with time pressure like an Indy shop tech. I really feel that building relationships with the service advisors and techs is key to getting great service at a dealership. When I go in, they all know me. And I'm not at all a big personality. I'm a quiet, introverted guy. I just take the time to chat with them and learn about them and have them learn about me. I'm telling ya, getting to know people goes a long way. I still chat with the Audi folks too when I go in there. They are all good folks and they are all way into cars.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:11 AM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone requesting service should get equal treatment regardless of who they are or how much they frequent the service department. Greetings and friendliness to a known customer is nice, but the treatment and service should be the same regardless. This makes me think of all the garbage you have to apparently go through nowadays to buy a new Rolex - cultivating a relationship with the salesman, bringing them gifts etc. Just a sad state of affairs. Rambling over.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:47 AM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by WillinEvergreen
Anyone requesting service should get equal treatment regardless of who they are or how much they frequent the service department. Greetings and friendliness to a known customer is nice, but the treatment and service should be the same regardless. This makes me think of all the garbage you have to apparently go through nowadays to buy a new Rolex - cultivating a relationship with the salesman, bringing them gifts etc. Just a sad state of affairs. Rambling over.
I disagree with this. It's not about schmoozing. It's just about cultivating relationships. People go the extra mile in all aspects of life when there is a personal connection.

There are so many instances of people being hostile, cold, unkind, or just disconnected and impersonal to the service advisors. At that point, whether conscious or not, they will respond differently. Kindness and personal connection do the opposite. That's what I'm saying.
Old 06-29-2024, 02:18 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

I agree. Businesses need to be honest and professional instead of practicing favoritism. High end merchants such as Rolex, Hermes, etc. makes me sick. How is it that a consumer has to kiss their *** to give them $$$?!?! Supply & demand yada yada yada. Total bs! Yes, rant over.
Originally Posted by mark8
I disagree with this. It's not about schmoozing. It's just about cultivating relationships. People go the extra mile in all aspects of life when there is a personal connection.
There are so many instances of people being hostile, cold, unkind, or just disconnected and impersonal to the service advisors. At that point, whether conscious or not, they will respond differently. Kindness and personal connection do the opposite. That's what I'm saying.
True, you catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar. It's just human nature. We all get it. However, at the end of the day, businesses need to know that the customer is king and that they need to do the right thing. Cultivating relationships is fine and dandy but integrity, fairness, and honesty should be their driving force. My old man owned a garage growing up. He took pride in treating everyone equally and not cutting corners, which paid dividends.
The following users liked this post:
WillinEvergreen (06-30-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:39 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by mark8

I understand your point. I also think the interest level of the service team increases when they know that the cars owner really cares about their vehicle.

Many owners do love their Porsche. But to some owners, it's just another consumable / disposable. I don't think the latter group endears themselves with those that devote their careers servicing the vehicles. Right or wrong, it's just human nature and it's understandable.

One thing I always do prior to bringing my car in for service is clean it up. Not just an exterior wash, but also the interior and under the hood.

I do it for two reasons - first to convey to the service folks that I care about my car, and second - so I can more easily assess the condition of the car after I get it back when the service work is completed. I also think it shows some measure of respect to those who do work on these cars for a living.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
mark8 (06-30-2024), WillinEvergreen (06-30-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 01:59 PM
jobunaga
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I agree. Businesses need to be honest and professional instead of practicing favoritism. High end merchants such as Rolex, Hermes, etc. makes me sick. How is it that a consumer has to kiss their *** to give them $$$?!?! Supply & demand yada yada yada. Total bs! Yes, rant over.

True, you catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar. It's just human nature. We all get it. However, at the end of the day, businesses need to know that the customer is king and that they need to do the right thing. Cultivating relationships is fine and dandy but integrity, fairness, and honesty should be their driving force. My old man owned a garage growing up. He took pride in treating everyone equally and not cutting corners, which paid dividends.
It sounds like you miss the days when it was acceptable to treat service people like slaves on loan.

You're doing a lot of bellyaching about the current state of affairs, but if it rubs you the wrong way so much, vote with your wallet and don't buy a Rolex or take your Porsche to a dealership service center.
Old 07-01-2024, 02:32 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jobunaga
It sounds like you miss the days when it was acceptable to treat service people like slaves on loan.

You're doing a lot of bellyaching about the current state of affairs, but if it rubs you the wrong way so much, vote with your wallet and don't buy a Rolex or take your Porsche to a dealership service center.
Wow dude, take a chill pill and layoff the caffeine. I doubt there’s any mistreatment on both sides of the fence. Geez.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
dak911 (07-01-2024), WillinEvergreen (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:32 AM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Tell me, when were the days when it was acceptable to treat "service people like slaves on loan?" Way to take the ball and run with it, completely in the wrong direction!
Old 07-02-2024, 11:36 AM
jobunaga
Advanced

Tell me, when were the days when it was acceptable to treat "service people like slaves on loan?" Way to take the ball and run with it, completely in the wrong direction!
Your comment about "cultivating a relationship with the salesman" is a bad look. mark8 is delicately polite in pointing out to you and luv2sleep that your way of thinking regarding customers and sales/service people is outdated, but I am not.

You don't want to have to kiss *** to buy Veblen goods? Then don't buy Veblen goods.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:31 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by jobunaga
Your comment about "cultivating a relationship with the salesman" is a bad look. mark8 is delicately polite in pointing out to you and luv2sleep that your way of thinking regarding customers and sales/service people is outdated, but I am not.

You don't want to have to kiss *** to buy Veblen goods? Then don't buy Veblen goods.
To be fair, I am not advocating for having to sell the service advisor on giving you good service. I am an engineer and have exactly ZERO sales or schmoozing ability. I just see people mistreating their service advisors (or waiters/waitresses/bartenders/etc) and I think service folks are sometimes surprised and refreshed when people are actually nice to them and give a **** about them. I don't do it just to get good service. I do it because I like cars and I like people! So are they going to REALLY go to bat for someone who is being cold or ****ty to them? No, probably not. They will say, "here's the price. have a nice day", but when they know you are a decent human being and respect them, then will go to bat for you. I have seen this over and over in my 25 years of owning cars, which have ranged from VW to Acura to BMW to Ford to Audi to Porsche. Kindness is pretty universal. That's the message. You won't see me schmoozing anyone, because I am not capable. I lack that skill haha. I also have zero interest in status or power. I just like high quality products, which Porsche is one.

I also really like @Ironman88 's comments about showing that you care for your vehicle. I'm not saying a vehicle needs to be fully detailed to get quality service, but when you take them a car that has a coffee spill dried to the console, trash and leaves all over the floor, ... They are going to see that you don't really care properly for the car already, and (conscious or not), I think it affects how they look at the vehicle. I try to give them a car that is clearly cared for. My vehicles are hardly ever spotless, because I actually use them and drive them, but they are never filthy, smelly, or abused in any way. When you step into the shop areas in a quality dealership, you will see why. You can eat off the floor in there. The techs are clean and organized. They ALSO care about cars. Most of us here have a "problem" with cars We like them more than we should. The folks that work at a dealership like Porsche are in that same camp.
The following 2 users liked this post by mark8:
Ironman88 (07-02-2024), Larson E. Rapp (07-04-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 12:48 PM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Well, to be clear, I don't have to kiss *** to buy Veblen goods, yet I somehow manage to buy them anyway. Really, I don't have to kiss *** to buy anything. Thank goodness for being outdated!

BTW, kudos to you for correctly using the term, Veblen goods !
Old 07-02-2024, 01:38 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Lol, this thread definitely went off on a tangent! Too many people get easily butt hurt over the smallest things these days. Maybe it's the GMO and/or gluten, or even social media. The excuses are endless. Perhaps mandatory military service can fix the "pussyfication" of this nation. I digress. How about just be good to one another while scoring the best deal and leave it at that. Now, back to the subject matter.
If I mod and/or tune a car, will the third party extended warranty (ie. Fidelity) cover the repairs that are affected by the tune/mod? We all know that the factory warranty will not cover modded/tuned components.
The following users liked this post:
WillinEvergreen (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 02:02 PM
jobunaga
Advanced

Well, to be clear, I don't have to kiss *** to buy Veblen goods, yet I somehow manage to buy them anyway. Really, I don't have to kiss *** to buy anything. Thank goodness for being outdated!
This makes me think of all the garbage you have to apparently go through nowadays to buy a new Rolex - cultivating a relationship with the salesman, bringing them gifts etc. Just a sad state of affairs. Rambling over.
Your statements don't jive with each other. Maybe get your story straight or elaborate how you're in a Schrodinger's super position of having to both kiss *** to buy a Rolex but don't have to kiss *** to buy anything.
Old 07-02-2024, 02:09 PM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Apparently, you should research the use of the word, "apparently." But, maybe that is too outdated for you. Besides, I like cats.
Old 07-02-2024, 02:37 PM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

One more thing. While researching the use of the word "apparently," browse on over to the J section and check out "Jive" vs "Jibe." Clarity will ensue!

You are welcome!

Quick Reply: Porsche Protection Plan (extended warranty) for Macan