Macan 2014-Current

Macan Turbo or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 08:41 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
So for '22, the GTS is top dog? Good to know. I thought it was still the Turbo. Anyway, I have a question for the experts. The 2.9L feels much weaker than I expected. Actually, not any better than the 2.0T Sport Edition. It has 10,500 miles. I'm hoping it will improve due to 2 things: Dealer might have put regular gas on it. And/or previous owner drove it like a grandpa, and the computer will 'learn' how I drive. I don't feel any turbo 'push', like on the other. And the tranny shifts much worse too; it's super clunky going from 2nd to 1st, like it gets confused. Hope it's normal. It drives perfectly fine, but I don't feel like it was a step up in performance, and I was expecting day and night difference, since the other is 252/273 vs 434/406. I'd say it feels like 300/300, compared to the other. In sport mode it up-shifts really quickly. And even in sport+ doesn't feel much better. Hopefully it was just cheap gas. We'll see, I guess. Need to finish the tank, since it was full, and it's about half now. It was just certified, and everything feels good, and no codes or anything. Just a little gutless.
I have a 22 GTS. Sometimes a little clunky from 1st to 2nd in Sport mode when its cold. After warm up no issues. Try driving in Sport Mode, manual. I usually shift at 3-4K RPM and that makes the car feel a lot quicker. It also prevents nuisance downshifts you get in sport mode 2nd to first. Just let the gears drop on their own when coming to a stop (yes in manual mode you do not HAVE to downshift with the paddles). My throttle response is OK, but I wish it was quicker to downshift on kickdown for passing. But I think that is more the trans shifting than the throttle, which can seem a little lazy. I only have 91 Octane here in CA, so I am probably not getting max power.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:51 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad to know it's normal; thank you very much. And yes, I like driving with the paddles, so I'm doing that now. The 2-1 shift it's still clunky sometimes (or doesn't do it right away, then 'clunk'). I know the tranny downshifts on its own if needed, but I like to go thru the shifts like if they were sequential (like on my bike), since the throttle-blip downshifts sound cool. Ha ha. The good news is if the gas pedal gets depressed deep enough, it does scoot forward. I'll let you know how it responds once it gets fresh premium fuel, but it'd probably be just a small difference, if at all. It's like you said, all in the programming of the engine or transmission module, or maybe both. Engine sounds really healthy, refined, and super quiet. Nothing to do with the 2.0T. What I'm BAFFLED about is the 2.0T has a 19.8-gal fuel tank, compared to the GTS's 17.1 gallon. Is that correct? That'd be crazy; it should be the other way around. Does anybody know why??? So the range won't be great. Oh well.

As a side comment, similar thing with the '24 Cayman 2.0T Style Edition. You can no longer opt for the larger 16.9-gal in the manual (only 14.2 gallons), but on the more efficient PDK, you can. It was available in 2022, so also don't understand why. It was a disappointment too, since I wanted the extra range.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-27-2024 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Macan Turbo or GTS?