Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Paddle Shifters VS no Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 02:33 PM
rdubu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems like the thread has taken a few different directions…

I personally would need to drive the Macan EV before buying one. I’m looking forward to that opportunity.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:39 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
The Macan "PDK" can pose issues if not kept up with a proper maintenance regimen, many recommend more maintenance than the service manual. It's a weak spot and far from bulletproof.

I would do anything I can to keep the transmission out of slowing down the car if the brakes are an easy alternative. It all generates heat and wear. The maintenance manager has an incentive to tell you to drive the crap out of it.

What objective measures are present and observable from driving hard with a direct correlation to increase resale value?
Given your comment, I spoke with my mechanic who has specialized for years in the maintenace of exotic cars.
He confirms that Porsches do better and their engines stay cleaner by frequent hard driving.
He has a general negative opinion about EVs...He said they are not quite ready for prime time.
Are you aware that the value of this EV and all others plummet as soon as you leave the show room ?
Are you aware that EV still have many problems and issues ?
He warns that you NEVER buy the first year model on any car. Example Ford Mustang Mach E.
Are you aware that the infrastructure for such cars in the United States is severely limited ?
Old 05-28-2024, 06:09 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
I depend upon my paddle shifters to tightly control my Macan. The Macan EV has no paddle shifters.
The Macan EV has no paddle shifters because paddle shifters are for changing gears. The EV has no gears! It sounds like your complaint with the EV is that it's an EV. The paddle shifters are a bit of a red herring, no?
The Macan EV doesn't have a loud exhaust or a fancy, aluminum gas filler cap either. And no turbos... I think we all need to wrap our heads around the shift to EVs. They may look like prior generations, but this is a totally different paradigm.

Here's one that will get you scratching your head: The Macan EV has no clutch or torque converter. When you're stopped at a stoplight, the electrons simply aren't passing through the motor and so the motor is stopped. I believe on most EVs to go in reverse you simply switch the direction of the electrons' flow so the engine just rotates in the other direction. Paddle Shifters are barely scratching the surface at the changes that are coming...
Old 05-28-2024, 08:10 PM
macanori
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDailey
The Macan EV has no paddle shifters because paddle shifters are for changing gears. The EV has no gears!
Exactly, once upon a time some people complained that they missed being able to wind their new battery powered watch!

Maybe cars of the future will go the way of the wristwatch. with most of the population being happy with something that simply gets them from A to B in the same way that a battery powered watch gives the correct time. However, there are always going to be enthusiasts that want something mechanical and are prepared to put up with winding their watch or changing gears in their car. Could be that Porsche will be the Rolex of the future (with Ferrari, Aston Martin etc, the Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, etc.)

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters VS no Paddle Shifters