Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Push Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 07:11 AM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I traded my 2018 Q5 for a 2020 Macan; the Q5 had a push-button start which was much easier to use. And, yes, the new Cayenne is a push-button. But it also has a weird dash-mounted shifter which I definitely did not like.
The following users liked this post:
mark8 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 09:36 AM
nevil
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been starting my Porsches with a key since the 80's. Even though a lot has changed with the cars and tech, for me it's a kind of comforting throwback. I might miss it if it was gone, but I would not spend a nickel to change it.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:42 AM
mark8
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DR_DFW
I am not sure what are you whining about.
people told you what they prefer and why and asked why you prefer something else.

No one called you names or was “nasty” at all.

by the way, checked the new Cayenne pictures on Porsche.com and it does look like there is a push-button in there. Since this it’s the last of the ICE Macans, we will not see the push button in it (25 or if there is a 26 version).

there is history and legacy with some things and people certainly prefer them unchanged…
Thanks for confirming that I was right about the Cayennes. That was my basis for the question. Perhaps I should have lead with that. It seemed like a simple enough question.

This is what I was "whining" about...

why are people so lazy to do a simple google search is beyond me…
And then posting an AI answer that was incorrect.

​​​​​Respectfully, I wasn't asking whether folks thought it was a good idea. I was asking if anyone had done it. I found a similar thread with similar responses with a guy asking about retrofitting push button start on an older Porsche. I guess folks are defensive about Porsche being a "club". To me it's a cool car. It's not about status or membership. I bought it because of how it drives, and looks. I like it. So I guess I expected others to be coming from that angle as well.

I'll pursue my question outside of this forum but will circle back and post an update if I get anywhere with it.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:45 AM
DR_DFW
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mark8
Thanks for confirming that I was right about the Cayennes. That was my basis for the question. Perhaps I should have lead with that. It seemed like a simple enough question.

This is what I was "whining" about...

why are people so lazy to do a simple google search is beyond me…
And then posting an AI answer that was incorrect.

​​​​​Respectfully, I wasn't asking whether folks thought it was a good idea. I was asking if anyone had done it. I found a similar thread with similar responses with a guy asking about retrofitting push button start on an older Porsche. I guess folks are defensive about Porsche being a "club". To me it's a cool car. It's not about status or membership. I bought it because of how it drives, and looks. I like it. So I guess I expected others to be coming from that angle as well.

I'll pursue my question outside of this forum but will circle back and post an update if I get anywhere with it.
My comment you bolded still stands. The AI answer may have been inaccurate, I doubted it, so I went a step further, spent additional 4 minutes of my time and got to the right answer...

But the same thing applies to all other premium brands. When the Bimmer took their traditional kidney grilles and turned them into buck teeth, people wanted kidney grilles, when Bimmer reshaped the Hoffmeister kink, people complained, when they removed traditional gauges, same thing, when they removed traditional Automatic shifter lever, same thing...and all steps Bimmer did were some kind of progress...
Naturally, the "key" thing was a tradition for Porsche for many many years. Push button is different...so would be if they moved it to the right side, like all other manufacturers do

Last edited by DR_DFW; 05-26-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:27 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by DR_DFW
My comment you bolded still stands. The AI answer may have been inaccurate, I doubted it, so I went a step further, spent additional 4 minutes of my time and got to the right answer...

But the same thing applies to all other premium brands. When the Bimmer took their traditional kidney grilles and turned them into buck teeth, people wanted kidney grilles, when Bimmer reshaped the Hoffmeister kink, people complained, when they removed traditional gauges, same thing, when they removed traditional Automatic shifter lever, same thing...and all steps Bimmer did were some kind of progress...
Naturally, the "key" thing was a tradition for Porsche for many many years. Push button is different...so would be if they moved it to the right side, like all other manufacturers do
Ha ok, dude. My original comment was that Cayenne now has push button start, which you doubted, Google searched and posted incorrect information about haha. Glad you later searched further to learn that I wasn't just spouting off nonsense.

In any case let's move on. I'm not here to pick on people or argue about stupid stuff. I'm here to discuss things about Macans!

On current 911 models it appears that you can choose push button start as an option. I can't find a photo but I presume it goes on the left precisely where the fake key would otherwise be. I can't find a photo to confirm though. Maybe someone else can. So retrofit on the left to replace the fake key stands as a legitimate question for me. I'll investigate further and report back. I see a retrofit kit for Cayenne. I suspect it may fit Macan too but I need to investigate further.

Old 05-26-2024, 04:08 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Ha ok, dude. My original comment was that Cayenne now has push button start, which you doubted, Google searched and posted incorrect information about haha. Glad you later searched further to learn that I wasn't just spouting off nonsense.

In any case let's move on. I'm not here to pick on people or argue about stupid stuff. I'm here to discuss things about Macans!

On current 911 models it appears that you can choose push button start as an option. I can't find a photo but I presume it goes on the left precisely where the fake key would otherwise be. I can't find a photo to confirm though. Maybe someone else can. So retrofit on the left to replace the fake key stands as a legitimate question for me. I'll investigate further and report back. I see a retrofit kit for Cayenne. I suspect it may fit Macan too but I need to investigate further.
I don't think you helped yourself by responding so aggressively to every snarky reply. By default, most Porsche enthusiasts are likely more disposed to tradition rather than assimilation by adopting technologies that don't tie into traditional, sometimes quirky, but well-loved brand identifiers.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:29 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by boyce89976
I don't think you helped yourself by responding so aggressively to every snarky reply. By default, most Porsche enthusiasts are likely more disposed to tradition rather than assimilation by adopting technologies that don't tie into traditional, sometimes quirky, but well-loved brand identifiers.
Oh come on... I honestly tried not to respond aggressively, even while folks are saying that my question was indeed "dumb" and making passive aggressive comments about not knowing why I didn't Google to find the information they thought was correct, but turned out to be wrong? Haha, you guys are a trip. I guess I'm truly failing my test to join the "club".
Old 05-27-2024, 12:30 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

Haha, you guys are a trip. I guess I'm truly failing my test to join the "club".

The following users liked this post:
mark8 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:50 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

This is probably a dumb question, but has anyone retrofitted push button start on a Macan? I know the "key" is a Porsche legacy thing and it's cool, but I'd honestly prefer to have push button stop start if it can be done in a reversible way.
I learned the hard way recently, that any modification of you Porsche, whatever the model, will make it harder to sell later.
People want stock and will pay less when they find that the car has been modified.
Leave your car as is.
Old 05-27-2024, 02:22 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by malibu515
I learned the hard way recently, that any modification of you Porsche, whatever the model, will make it harder to sell later.
People want stock and will pay less when they find that the car has been modified.
Leave your car as is.
Understood. I only consider mods that I can completely reverse myself.

Quick Reply: Push Button Start