Applying PORSCHE letters

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 01:38 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Applying PORSCHE letters

Maybe this can help someone.

Applying PORSCHE letters to rear hatch of 2023 Macan S.
I tried holding onto the letters with my fingers, tweezers, etc., but those ways were not stable enough and they blocked my vision..
So, cut a small piece of double sided tape, stuck it onto an Allen wrench, stuck the taped Allen wrench to the letters, and had a stable way to hold the letters, and it also gave me a much better view of trying to align the letters to the outlines of the letter areas on the rear hatch.
BTW, in case anybody is wondering, the letter blocks on the rear hatch light area are the shape of the corresponding letter that goes there, but there are no indexing holes, tabs, or anything that makes the placement of the letters foolproof. You've got to place the letters on very carefully.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:31 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Doesn't your Macan have PORSCHE letters already? BTW, here's another trick I use when I'm applying something that sticks on: Spray the sticky area with water (I have a water spray bottle) then put it on the surface. The water will make it less sticky so you'll be able to move the item around if you don't get it straight the first time. Otherwise, you're likely to get just one shot at it. You can use a hair dryer to dry off the water once you have the item on straight.
The following users liked this post:
quallzone (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 03:02 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

I felt like a change from the satin black letters to the chrome ones. I kept the satin black letters. I can clean of the remaining adhesive and apply new adhesive and put them back on if/when I want to. I didn’t know that about the water. When they stick on, there is no adjusting them.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:38 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
I felt like a change from the satin black letters to the chrome ones. I kept the satin black letters. I can clean of the remaining adhesive and apply new adhesive and put them back on if/when I want to. I didn’t know that about the water. When they stick on, there is no adjusting them.
My car came with the chrome letters. If you use the water spray technique, you can adjust them. The best way to remove the old letters/logos is to use dental floss and "saw" back and forth until the dental floss gets all the way through the letters/logo. You can use 3M adhesive remover to get rid of the glue residue. It's available on-line at Amazon and detailing shops. It's great for removing glue residue left over from old stickers.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:47 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I flossed them off. A search showed people have used many things to get the adhesive off; WD-40, vinegar, Dawn dishwashing soap, GoofOff, the 3M stuff you mentioned. Lots of stuff. I used Dawn because I had some and it seemed pretty benign to the vehicle surfaces. It worked.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:53 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

I will be getting a 2025 Chalk Macan GTS order in a few months. I have ordered it with Deletion of Model Designation so that I can have
a full body wrap with no cut outs.
The dealership informed me that once that is done, I can order the lettering and designation from their parts department.
They have applique forms that will mount the Macan GTS lettering perfectly. Without these guides, the application will
be imperfect

Quick Reply: Applying PORSCHE letters