Macan S v. Cayenne Base?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 10:51 AM
lpattchs
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan S v. Cayenne Base?

Hi all!
I currently own a 2012 Cayenne S and it's time to upgrade. I love the car, but my husband is getting a Toyota Grand Highlander and I now have the opportunity to consider something smaller and newer since he'll have the big car. I haven't had a ton of issues in the ~6 years I've owned the Cayenne, but do want something that's more on the reliable side while also driving like the Cayenne I have now (absolutely love driving it). I have a baby and a large dog. I don't often need to drive both in the car, but for now the Panamera is out.

I'm don't live in an area with mountains or sporty roads, and would use it more for daily use and occasional short weekend trips.

I'm considering a 2019-2020 Macan S or the 2019-2020 Cayenne Base or Cayenne Coupe. Must have is the panoramic roof, though. Side note is that I am 5'9, so my biggest concern with the Macan is feeling like its too small or there's such a huge difference in performance of the vehicle that I will regret getting rid my current car.

Anyone owned one or both, or been in a similar position for comparison?
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2024, 10:58 AM
DR_DFW
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lpattchs
Hi all!
I currently own a 2012 Cayenne S and it's time to upgrade. I love the car, but my husband is getting a Toyota Grand Highlander and I now have the opportunity to consider something smaller and newer since he'll have the big car. I haven't had a ton of issues in the ~6 years I've owned the Cayenne, but do want something that's more on the reliable side while also driving like the Cayenne I have now (absolutely love driving it). I have a baby and a large dog. I don't often need to drive both in the car, but for now the Panamera is out.

I'm don't live in an area with mountains or sporty roads, and would use it more for daily use and occasional short weekend trips.

I'm considering a 2019-2020 Macan S or the 2019-2020 Cayenne Base or Cayenne Coupe. Must have is the panoramic roof, though. Side note is that I am 5'9, so my biggest concern with the Macan is feeling like its too small or there's such a huge difference in performance of the vehicle that I will regret getting rid my current car.

Thanks!
Hey there. I am 6'0, 175lbs. I was a (manual) BMW guy for 20+ years, traded my 2023 M3 6MT for the 2023 Macan GTS..
Performance-wise, you will not be disappointed with the Macan S, nimble, low, just the right size, great performance. I do not miss my M3 at all. A lot of fun with the Macan.

I also have no issues with the size. I prefer the small, but definitely enough, form factor. I did have my wife (passenger) and two daughters (one is 5'10, other is 11yo) in the back seat, no issues for them.

I do suggest to go for 2022-Present Macan S with the 2.9TT vs. the previous one, from what I learned on these forums!
Old 05-02-2024, 03:06 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I also just sold my 2013 Cayenne S and got a 17 Base Macan. I am 6’1” and about 240#. While the Macan is a little bit tighter for me getting in once inside feels pretty much like the Cayenne…..only better because it’s newer. 😁 The driving experience though is much more handling oriented in my opinion. While I miss the linear feel to the power, that is really only an issue in launch. At speed, I can do all I need. My sole reason I got the Macan is the desire for better MPG.

Last edited by Boomer80; 05-02-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:52 PM
lpattchs
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, both! This is just the info I was looking for. Much appreciated!
Old 05-02-2024, 07:25 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,192 Posts

We have a 2019 Cayenne and a 2024 Audi SQ5 (I know, not a Macan, but the size / form factor is very similar to the Macan.)

I frequently drive both cars and I can tell you that there is a very significant difference in the size and your sense of the size when driving one vs the other.

The interior feel of the SQ5 is much more compact. The seating area in the rear for passengers is much more confined in the SQ5 - leg room and head room in particular.

Ride height in the Cayenne is very noticeably higher than the SQ5 which is more car-like. The ride in the Cayenne is definitely better - although it is very good in the SQ5. (If you opt for the Macan, you may want to seek out one with an air suspension. Our SQ5 has one and it is excellent.)

Although it goes without saying, it would be most helpful for you to drive a Macan prior to formulating even the beginnings of a decision.

20 minutes spent behind the wheel in a Macan will provide you with a very clear sense if it's right or not for you.

Old 05-03-2024, 12:05 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

The. base Macan is all I need. Pur it in sport or sport plus mode, it throws off the Clark Kent suit and shows the red S on its chest.

feels like a real Porsche. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:39 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by lpattchs
Hi all!

Thanks!
If you have a baby and large dog, then Cayenne.

Macan doesn’t work with baby and large dog.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:31 AM
DR_DFW
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
If you have a baby and large dog, then Cayenne.

Macan doesn’t work with baby and large dog.
Why not???
I have a 11 yo at home and my 19yo is visiting from college.
I am 6'0, my wife is 5'9.
We all fit in the Macan with no problems around town. I doubt the large dog would need more space than the 19yo?

I don't think I'll try to fit all 5 of us in the car when my 23yo comes to visit though, but my wife has an MDX for that stuff...

Last edited by DR_DFW; 05-04-2024 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:44 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

We’ve always had 3 row SUVs until about 2 years ago, when our youngest went off to college. Our only SUV now is the ‘22 Macan GTS and it was my DD. My wife now drives it mostly and she has become a Porsche convert. I’m 6 ft and I usually have the seat all the way back in most cars. In this position, the driver side rear seat is too tight to fit anyone in the Macan. You can fit 3 people and a dog in the Macan comfortably. In a crunch, you can fit 5 but it’s tight. I’ll probably get my wife a new Cayenne S in a couple of years, as long as Porsche keeps the V8TT, and take back the Macan as my DD.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 05-04-2024 at 03:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Macan S v. Cayenne Base?