Macan 2014-Current

Shopping tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 11:54 AM
IPretendToBeFast
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping tips?

I’m in the market for a used vehicle for bad weather and winter driving and for those times when I need a little more space for road trips or cargo. I was initially thinking of getting something like a Honda or Subaru as I wanted the secondary car to be less expensive than my primary good weather sports car, but now the Macan has caught my eye as there seem to be quite a few available from around 2018 or so at prices that I consider reasonable.

Are there any major concerns with used Macans from that time in say the 40-60k mile range? Known expensive maintenance items? Any particular options to look for or avoid? Will probably aim for a S model unless the base is the way to go.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:00 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by IPretendToBeFast
I’m in the market for a used vehicle for bad weather and winter driving and for those times when I need a little more space for road trips or cargo. I was initially thinking of getting something like a Honda or Subaru as I wanted the secondary car to be less expensive than my primary good weather sports car, but now the Macan has caught my eye as there seem to be quite a few available from around 2018 or so at prices that I consider reasonable.

Are there any major concerns with used Macans from that time in say the 40-60k mile range? Known expensive maintenance items? Any particular options to look for or avoid? Will probably aim for a S model unless the base is the way to go.
Yes, significant concerns. That’s why you find the prices attractive.

Transfer case
Timing cover oil leak
Bore scoring
and more

Read this site thoroughly.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:24 PM
IPretendToBeFast
AutoX

Originally Posted by chassis
Yes, significant concerns. That’s why you find the prices attractive.

Transfer case
Timing cover oil leak
Bore scoring
and more

Read this site thoroughly.
Ha, okay thanks I’ll dig around. Maybe the Subaru is the better second car to the Cayman then! 😂
Old 04-16-2024, 05:31 PM
Snowytrail
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IPretendToBeFast

Start with 2019, if that's out of your range then wait. Also, try all 3 of the seat options to see which one works best for you. The 40K service is fairly costly so if that's already done along with the brakes it's a plus. The CPO program is great but adds some cost when looking at apples to apples.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snowytrail:
chassis (04-16-2024), Larson E. Rapp (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 09:50 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Snowytrail
Start with 2019, if that's out of your range then wait. Also, try all 3 of the seat options to see which one works best for you. The 40K service is fairly costly so if that's already done along with the brakes it's a plus. The CPO program is great but adds some cost when looking at apples to apples.
Does 2019 eliminate the above-mentioned problems? Would even newer be better?
Old 04-24-2024, 02:07 PM
Snowytrail
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chancecasey
Does 2019 eliminate the above-mentioned problems? Would even newer be better?
I believe the transfer case issue is gone with 2019 (and they were doing 7 year coverage on it prior) and very sure the timing cover issue is fixed. Newer won't matter until you get to 2022 but then you're into $60K plus for an S...at that point you might as well configure a nice new '25. See how this works? :-)

Quick Reply: Shopping tips?