Macan 2014-Current

New macan owner in near future

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 09:43 PM
First911soon
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New macan owner in near future

I'm looking at a 1 owner driven 2500 miles a year '16 turbo. I'm not new to 911's but dont know much about the Macan, I hear alot about the transfer case, in which this one was already replaced at 2500 miles.. I'm just wondering what this means for the future, it only has 22000 and will be daily driver, here is the car in question

2016 Porsche Macan Turbo for sale in Conshohocken, PA - CARFAX

It looks like a solid buy, I might go look at it, but Im concerned about the case, that and I'm also looking at a new gts for double the price.

Any ideas as to what I should do with this? seems like a great buy for 41000.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:47 PM
First911soon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by First911soon
I'm looking at a 1 owner driven 2500 miles a year '16 turbo. I'm not new to 911's but dont know much about the Macan, I hear alot about the transfer case, in which this one was already replaced at 2500 miles.. I'm just wondering what this means for the future, it only has 22000 and will be daily driver, here is the car in question

2016 Porsche Macan Turbo for sale in Conshohocken, PA - CARFAX

It looks like a solid buy, I might go look at it, but Im concerned about the case, that and I'm also looking at a new gts for double the price.

Any ideas as to what I should do with this? seems like a great buy for 41000.

For info heres another used one I was thinking about 2017 Porsche Macan Turbo for sale in Somerset, NJ - CARFAX
Old 01-18-2024, 03:59 AM
doctj
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

There’s a vast difference between the two , most important one being Porsche CPO with low mileage and the other being used and high mileage.

the white one from the Porsche dealer for that price is a no brainer honestly, even with the replaced transfer case
The following 4 users liked this post by doctj:
FavOutLaw (01-18-2024), Penstamin (01-18-2024), WillinEvergreen (01-18-2024), Zeus993 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 11:13 AM
First911soon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by doctj
There’s a vast difference between the two , most important one being Porsche CPO with low mileage and the other being used and high mileage.

the white one from the Porsche dealer for that price is a no brainer honestly, even with the replaced transfer case
Is the replcaed trqansfer case a bad thing? I'm also looking at a 24 but to me idk if its a great financial decision. I could pay the poaments but its closer than I'd like.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:18 PM
doctj
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by First911soon
Is the replcaed trqansfer case a bad thing? I'm also looking at a 24 but to me idk if its a great financial decision. I could pay the poaments but its closer than I'd like.
transfer case failures do occur and on the macan porsche extended the warranty on this issue for 7 years. I’m not sure when yours was replaced , but if it was with a newer revision of the transfer case after a certain date (2018 I believe ) then that’s a good thing. There’s no telling if you’ll need another one or not , but I will note that many failed under low mileage/early use

Last edited by doctj; 01-18-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:25 PM
FavOutLaw
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The white 16 for 41k and 22k miles. The TC was replaced and you have CPO - extend the CPO and be worry-free. A car like that in that condition.. is new and the depreciation hit was already taken by someone else. Grab it, love it. That being said, there is a significant price difference between a 16 and a 24, and if you're comfortable with the payment, you have 4 year/60k warranty and all the issues of previous model years corrected.

I shopped around and there is no availability (yet another great bonus of living in the great white North) so my choice was a 17 GTS or a 20 GTS for 30k more... I ended up with 4 year CPO (unlimited mileage!) on the '17 vs 2 years on the 20, that I figured I'd have better places to throw 30G. Add that I tend to keep vehicles for about 2 years, the 80G for the '20GTS wasn't worth it for me.. I know I'll get my $ worth out of the 17 though
The following users liked this post:
Penstamin (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:33 PM
Penstamin
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

@First911soon This is definitely a personal choice here, but I agree with @doctj and @FavOutLaw that the white one is a no-brainer. If you look at the build sheets for both, the 2016 (IMHO) is the better investment with Sport Exhaust, trailer hitch, and carbon fiber interior bits. Not to mention the pricey aluminum fuel cap

2016 build sheet: https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP1AF2A58GLB92784/
2017 build sheet: https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP1AF2A50HLB60638/

The Porsche CPO is 100% worth it. To qualify, the dealer is supposed to replace any parts that don't have at least 50% usable life remaining. And the prep on a CPO is also pretty rigorous. CPO is transferable to next owner if any coverage remains and accepted at any Porsche dealer.

Good luck, either way.

Last edited by Penstamin; 01-18-2024 at 02:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Penstamin:
doctj (01-19-2024), FavOutLaw (01-18-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 10:36 AM
First911soon
Intermediate

Unfortunately the 16 has been sold. I could see why.

I did however talk to a a reputable indy Porsche dealership and they said it could just need an alignment for the 17. I had them do a cold start video in the snow today, and it sounds like alot of clicking but thats also what I hear from the injectors I'm told. I have a warm idle video and it sounds like new.

Ill be driving 20000 a year or so for work so maybe a brand new one isnt a great idea it sounds like a financial mistake, honestly. Im looking around for some CPOs however as I definitely like the unlimited mile warranty, but heres a question, can I take this 17 to a dealer and get cpo'd so I get the warranty?

I did call the dealership it was sold from and had the girl go over the service history on it, transfer case was replaced last year, no records on service since april at the dealership, but ethers nothing in there about damage or the suspension components being replaced or looked at at all, but also not all people report to carfax.. I also had the guy take a video of the suspension components to see of anything is off and it looks alright although thats a bad tell.

I had the guy also send a video of cold start and it didnt jutter or stutter at all, the injector noise sounded very pronounced, but realistically.. I think this is a solid car. I dont know maybe it really was people just couldnt afford it, or the credit was bad. the white one is better optioned out but its minor cosmetic things. I also think not having lower profile tires would work best for daily driving, if I get alot more money somehow I could always biy a set of rims, but its a macan not a 911.

I almost hate to say it but the 17 has the best options of all the ones around for 250, the others are preowned but no Sport chrono package. Is there a huge difference between a macan turbo with sport plus and a one with just sport?

Last edited by First911soon; 01-19-2024 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: New macan owner in near future