Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Large roof cargo box on Macan ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 08:42 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Large roof cargo box on Macan ??

Considering a 520 liter (18 cubic feet) cargo box on our Macan for a 1,000 mile trip. Dealer says it's not a problem at that size, but the aerodynamic Thule carrier (Atlantis 1800XT) still looks like it wants to catch air and get ripped off the roof. While the Macan's roofline obviously slopes down in the front toward the windshield, this cargo looks like an enormous wind drag with up-lift tension brewing.

I have not yet bought the Porsche cross bars to attach to the rails on the Macan. Curious if anyone has put on a large cargo box on a Macan....or even has opinion of the 2 aluminum lateral bars that Porsche sells in aftermarket.

And, of course, what you feel top speed is on the interstate.

Thanks for any feedback......I remember as a kid when a semi truck ripped our ski rack off the car on a 2 lane highway. Mega air power from the semi, dad saw sparks on road behind him and he dropped his jaw....WOW.

JP
Old 11-18-2023, 10:36 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Potsy
Considering a 520 liter (18 cubic feet) cargo box on our Macan for a 1,000 mile trip. Dealer says it's not a problem at that size, but the aerodynamic Thule carrier (Atlantis 1800XT) still looks like it wants to catch air and get ripped off the roof. While the Macan's roofline obviously slopes down in the front toward the windshield, this cargo looks like an enormous wind drag with up-lift tension brewing.

I have not yet bought the Porsche cross bars to attach to the rails on the Macan. Curious if anyone has put on a large cargo box on a Macan....or even has opinion of the 2 aluminum lateral bars that Porsche sells in aftermarket.

And, of course, what you feel top speed is on the interstate.

Thanks for any feedback......I remember as a kid when a semi truck ripped our ski rack off the car on a 2 lane highway. Mega air power from the semi, dad saw sparks on road behind him and he dropped his jaw....WOW.

JP
I have a fairly good sized ski box on my Macan. It drops the mileage by 2 per gallon at fast speeds. You might consider two ski boxes so after your trip you can find a market to sell them off. No one is looking for one huge box except you. We have done extensive motorcycling touring. When doing this, you have to get creative about carrying stuff. One thought is taking older clothes and tossing them when they get dirty, another is taking clothes line and clothespins and do a nightly laundry routine, and the third is to mail the dirty stuff back home.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:54 PM
Potsy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya.....it's a 10 year old box that I own, but is same size as the current Porsche 520 liter big box. Agreed that mailing or donating clothes may be necessary. Thx.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:43 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

We did a 1500 mile round trip with our dog in the cargo hold of our 19S and our so in the back seat. The 320 cargo box held a ton of stuff to include Christmas presents. Key is to use soft-sided luggage/bags. We drove through torrential rain and everything remained bone dry. We have the Porsche rails and they are well made and come in a nice bag.

Gas mileage suffered slightly and we limited speed to 80 mph as noted on the box/rails. Not interested in going faster on our clogged interstates - it's a jungle out there!

I was so impressed by the the Porsche roof transport system/rails/box that I am going to order the rails for my 991.1 to use the 320 box for long trips. I did a 3600 mile round-trip with my 991 to the Arctic Circle in Sweden and it would have been far easier with the roof box instead of jamming everything in the hard-to-reach back seats and frunk.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Potsy (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:39 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,088 Posts

I have carried 2 adult bikes on the roof of an MB, BMW and now Porsche SUVs for thousands of miles. They are extremely non-aerodynamic and I have zero concerns. Whoever sells the equipment (box and crossbars) give it a rating. Stay within the rating and you're good.

The box doesn't know if it's attached to a Chevette or a Rolls Royce. It's designed to work as long as it is not overloaded, max speed is not exceeded, and is fastened properly to a mounting system.

Likewise the Macan, it doesn't know if 200 lbs of lead or 200 lbs of feathers are attached to the rails. Stay within Porsche's load rating for the rails and you're good.
The following 3 users liked this post by chassis:
Nickshu (11-23-2023), Potsy (11-23-2023), Russian Mafia (11-23-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 12:28 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 199 Posts

Rooftop Cargo Carrier - JEGS Sport Roof Cargo Carrier 555-90098 - JEGS High Performance - JEGS

Quick Reply: Large roof cargo box on Macan ??