Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Does anyone know why 8LE option in Macan exists (with off road prec. app)???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 12:45 PM
PorscheMacan342
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Does anyone know why 8LE option in Macan exists (with off road prec. app)???

I have posted my off road precision app related question earlier (see https://www.macanforum.com/search/652393/ ) , which no one responded to. I am assuming the reason is that no one had ever used the off road precision app in Macan, and everyone I contacted (dealer as well as My Porsche cust serv.) have basically told me that off road precision app is not built for Macan and will not work on it.

That leads me to my next question: why on earth sell the option in the car that is not designed to work in it?

This is kind of bizarre. The 8LE Compass option (without off road precision app) costs $160 (+/- $20). The 8LE compass which included off road precision opp costs $430! Does that mean Porsche charged $300 extra to install an option that CAN NOT BE used in Macan? How is this possible?
Old 11-16-2023, 02:15 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I would take this up with your dealership Brand Ambassador.

It is possible (just speculating) that the vehicle option being offered was out of sync with changes that were made recently to the My Porsche app family. Not uncommon for one part of the company to not know what another part was doing. Someone may have just done a lousy job of coordination between the vehicle people and the app people.

If that is the case, they should at least offer you a refund for the option (but don't hold your breath).

Best of luck sorting this out... please post whatever happens!
The following users liked this post:
PorscheMacan342 (12-02-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 05:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

How much did the option cost?
Old 11-17-2023, 09:16 PM
PorscheMacan342
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
How much did the option cost?
$430.00
Old 11-17-2023, 09:22 PM
PorscheMacan342
7th Gear

Originally Posted by schnell

It is possible (just speculating) that the vehicle option being offered was out of sync with changes that were made recently to the My Porsche app family. Not uncommon for one part of the company to not know what another part was doing. Someone may have just done a lousy job of coordination between the vehicle people and the app people.

If that is the case, they should at least offer you a refund for the option (but don't hold your breath).

Dealership is really nice, probably the bets dealership I ever dealt with. But so far they couldn't help with this option. I believe it's rare and not used by Macan owners, even if they happen to have this option installed. One of the dealers I spoke with confirmed that this option actually works, that it requires some kind of access or activation by Porsche service computer (He may have said PCIM? I forgot the abbreviation).
He said wouldn't be able to do that on my car since he needed to have my car in their system and only dealer can do it. I spoke with my SA, last time today. He promised to get back to me when he hears back from his tech guy. I haven't heard from him, so I assume the tech guy simply doesn't know how to activate this service or set up the off-track precision app on Macan. I called 1-800-PORSCHE and they referred me back to the dealer.

I will post once I have any updates.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:11 AM
PorscheMacan342
7th Gear

Originally Posted by schnell

Finally I have an update =)

I emailed Porsche executive team and received an immediate response. I was referred to Porsche Connect team member who handled my inquiry from start to end.
PC team member promised to reach out to German team and update me as soon as he gets feedback. And he did so yesterday.

Here is the result of the inquiry:

1. It's an existing option installed in our 2024 Porsche Macan.
2. The app for it is Porsche Precision Track
3. 8LE option installed in our 2024 Macan currently can not be connected to Porsche Precision Track app (they are working on properly coding it) and therefore the option can not yet be utilized in North America (I believe it currently works in Europe).

PC team member offered an amicable solution (which I have accepted) in lieu of working 8LE option. Unfortunately, I can't disclose the details.
This was a good experience overall, I was reassured that Porsche customer service cares about its' drivers and can be relied upon to troubleshoot legitimate issues.

schnell (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 10:41 AM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad to hear that you got a satisfactory response…thanks for the update!
PorscheMacan342 (12-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Does anyone know why 8LE option in Macan exists (with off road prec. app)???