Macan 2014-Current

Shudder when in gear at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 10:10 AM
desmo900rider
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder when in gear at idle?

Hi all - lots of searching on this and nothing that I have found that matches what I am experiencing, hoping folks here might have some insight.

2017 GTS, I bought it about 9 months ago with 108K, now has 116K. The transfer case warranty was still in effect when I bought it, so I had the car checked out by my independent shop and the dealer, they both said it was fine. To be safe, I had all the fluids changed at about 110K - PDK, diffs, transfer case, all of it so I had a baseline.

Other Porsches I have owned have been manuals and older, this is my first "modern" Porsche and my first PDK. I understand they are more "mechanical" feeling and sounding, but here is the issue I'm having, and just wondering if it is normal or if I should worry.

When the car is at idle in park, it has a very small and what I would say is typical vibration, but as soon as I put the car in gear, there is a shudder throughout the car that almost feels like bad motor mounts. Put it back in park and it goes away, and as soon as I get up to maybe 10 mph, it's smooth as silk.

Normal? Broken? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2023, 10:59 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

I'd say mine has a bit of that when in gear when cold...most vehicles do.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:08 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Just a wild guess - but is there any chance that the PDK transmission mount is worn and creating this vibration?

Old 11-08-2023, 11:32 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Some comments in this thread relating to worn / cracked engine mounts creating the condition...

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/v...t-idle.179700/

Old 11-08-2023, 11:47 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by desmo900rider
Hi all - lots of searching on this and nothing that I have found that matches what I am experiencing, hoping folks here might have some insight.

2017 GTS, I bought it about 9 months ago with 108K, now has 116K. The transfer case warranty was still in effect when I bought it, so I had the car checked out by my independent shop and the dealer, they both said it was fine. To be safe, I had all the fluids changed at about 110K - PDK, diffs, transfer case, all of it so I had a baseline.

Other Porsches I have owned have been manuals and older, this is my first "modern" Porsche and my first PDK. I understand they are more "mechanical" feeling and sounding, but here is the issue I'm having, and just wondering if it is normal or if I should worry.

When the car is at idle in park, it has a very small and what I would say is typical vibration, but as soon as I put the car in gear, there is a shudder throughout the car that almost feels like bad motor mounts. Put it back in park and it goes away, and as soon as I get up to maybe 10 mph, it's smooth as silk.

Normal? Broken? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Engine or transmission mounts might be on their way out. Is this a cold vee or hot vee 6-cylinder?

Quick Reply: Shudder when in gear at idle?