Macan 2014-Current

Macan battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 12:43 PM
Markmysite
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan battery replacement

Have a question about replacing the battery in my 2015 Macan. The car has very low miles (37K) and is on the original battery. So it lasted a long time at 8 years.

The problem is the car is in Costa Rica and there’s only 1 Porsche dealer in the entire country. Had it in for service recently ($2,500 to change the water pump and thermostat and 3 coolant line hoses …. ouch) and the battery is shot. They didn’t have one in stock and said it takes a long while to get anything in country. And a Porsche battery would be well over $1,000 just for the part (import taxes suck here). Can’t handle that hit right now.

So I was going to get a battery from a typical car battery store. The only thing I can find is a group 48 battery, AGM (which is hard to find here), but it’s only 70 amp hours and 760 CCA. The original battery was larger size wise and has 92 amp hours and had only 520 CCA.

I can’t get the usual recommended batteries like the Interstate MTX-49/H8 we have in the US.

Would this LTH battery be fine in the car?

Will I have issues long term if I don’t register the battery since the amp hours are much lower?

I’ve read a lot of conflicting info on needing to register the battery. Some say it will overcharge it. Others say the BMS knows the change and it won’t matter. Some say it will degrade the lifespan. Others say no it won’t. So I asked my service advisor here and he said the tech said it’s not necessary. But we all know dealers often know less than experts in a forum 😂

I’m heading to the US today and thought I’ll just buy one there and bring it back. Butttt you can’t take a car battery on a plane. 🤦‍♂️

So what would you do? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Old 10-27-2023, 11:23 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Markmysite
Have a question about replacing the battery in my 2015 Macan. The car has very low miles (37K) and is on the original battery. So it lasted a long time at 8 years.

The problem is the car is in Costa Rica and there’s only 1 Porsche dealer in the entire country. Had it in for service recently ($2,500 to change the water pump and thermostat and 3 coolant line hoses …. ouch) and the battery is shot. They didn’t have one in stock and said it takes a long while to get anything in country. And a Porsche battery would be well over $1,000 just for the part (import taxes suck here). Can’t handle that hit right now.

So I was going to get a battery from a typical car battery store. The only thing I can find is a group 48 battery, AGM (which is hard to find here), but it’s only 70 amp hours and 760 CCA. The original battery was larger size wise and has 92 amp hours and had only 520 CCA.

I can’t get the usual recommended batteries like the Interstate MTX-49/H8 we have in the US.

Would this LTH battery be fine in the car?

Will I have issues long term if I don’t register the battery since the amp hours are much lower?

I’ve read a lot of conflicting info on needing to register the battery. Some say it will overcharge it. Others say the BMS knows the change and it won’t matter. Some say it will degrade the lifespan. Others say no it won’t. So I asked my service advisor here and he said the tech said it’s not necessary. But we all know dealers often know less than experts in a forum 😂

I’m heading to the US today and thought I’ll just buy one there and bring it back. Butttt you can’t take a car battery on a plane. 🤦‍♂️

So what would you do? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'd buy the battery while you are in the US and also buy the scanning tool to register it after you install it back home. At least you can tuck the scanner in your luggage.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:35 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 644 Posts

Battery is probably fine if it is AGM and specs match. They're all made in the same 2-3 factories anyway LOL. For a scanner to register the battery, iCarSoft POR3.0 can do it. You can buy on Amazon or similar online and ship to you. Also handy to have around for other stuff.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:15 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 190 Posts

I will be the heretic here, but, just install the 70AH AGM battery you can buy locally, the car will run just fine.....even without recoding. If you get a scanner that can code the battery, just change the size to 70AH, and change the last digit of the BEM code by adding 1, and you will be fine.
The following 3 users liked this post by VAGfan:
Larson E. Rapp (11-01-2023), Pretorien (10-30-2023), T3X4S (11-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Macan battery replacement