Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 03:08 PM
OC GTS
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Creaking/clicking from front passenger side brake

Hi everyone!

Long-time lurker, first time poster👋

I recently purchased a new-to-me 2023 CPO Macan GTS 2 weeks ago with ~9900 miles .

Under light braking from ~25 mph to a stop, there’s a continuous clicking/rolling sound coming from the passenger side brake. I noticed this shortly after I drove the car back home. I initially thought this may be a unique sound of the PSCB brakes but then thought it strange that it was only coming from the front passenger side brake. There's no associated shaking or rattling in the steering wheel nor issues with the brakes engaging/grabbing. Besides the sound itself, the brake itself seems to function normally. I tried to bedding in the brakes (repeated hard braking from 50-60 mph), but the sound was still there consistently, regardless of time of day or outside temperature.

I finally took it in for service at my local Porsche dealership this week, since the sound was not going away after a week of daily driving. They were able to verify the sound as well. They did not find anything on inspection and disassembly of the brake caliper/pads. Upon lubricating and reassembling the brake caliper/pads, the sound did disappear but came back within 5 miles of me driving away from the dealership. They have since tried replacing the brake pad, which helped decrease the sound but not eliminate it all together. They are still working on diagnosing the source but do not have a clear culprit in mind.

This sound seems different from the numerous brake squeak/squeal threads that I've searched through. Wondering if anyone else has experience with a similar sound to help guide me and the technicians through the troubleshooting process.

I will post videos of the sound from the inside and outside of the car for your reference (will be included in subsequent post due to hyperlink limitations for first post).

Thank you so much in advance for all your collective help and input!

Interior noise 1
Interior noise 2
Exterior noise

Last edited by OC GTS; 10-28-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:37 PM
PatMc
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Cadillac had issue with a similar noise on one of their models with 2 piece rotors...their was a service bulletin calling to increase the lug torque to 140 lb.ft. IIRC...something about 50% higher than the conventional spec for an M12 fastener. You might try increasing the wheel torque by 20lb.ft or so, which shouldn't hurt the fasteners, and see if that changes anything.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:27 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I wonder if it's a bad (or going bad) wheel bearing....

Old 10-28-2023, 06:15 PM
OC GTS
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply. From what I can see, I think the Macan's PSCB rotors are one piece. Not sure if it would apply to 1 piece rotors as well, but I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind!
Old 10-28-2023, 06:18 PM
OC GTS
4th Gear

Certainly could be the case, as nothing else was found upon inspection of the caliper and pads. But from my experience with a bad wheel bearing, the sound generally got worse with increasing speed rather than under low speed braking. Also would be pretty unusual @10,000 miles, but worth thinking outside the box.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

It's definitely rotational related based on the audio clips. (ie not suspension-related).

If it's not tied to the rotor, caliper, or pads, then it seems like wheel bearing is a possibility.

Old 10-30-2023, 03:18 PM
macanori
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A few years ago, a friend of mine moaned for months about a rattle from a front wheel that was audible only as he was coming to a stop. It turned out to be an old valve cap floating around inside the tyre!

Has anyone taken the tyre off your noisy wheel yet to have a look?
The following 2 users liked this post by macanori:
NC TRACKRAT (10-30-2023), wwahl (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 11:59 PM
OC GTS
4th Gear

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I finally got my car back from the dealer today, and it turns out the noise was from a loose spring clip, which secures the brake shim to the brake pad itself. Apparently, these two parts come glued together, with a spring clip for added reinforcement. However, the high temperature of the brake pads can cause the glue to melt (who would have thought!), leaving only the spring clip as the fixation point between the shim and the pad. This can cause the clip to loosen over time, which either leads to a sound from the clip itself hitting the brake pads or the brake pad itself rattling without the tension from the spring clip to hold it in place.

After a fair amount of my own research, here are my takeaways:

- There are many (subjective) adjectives that people use to describe abnormal sounds under braking. The sound I was experiencing is best classified as a
, which is usually the sound of a loose/unsecured brake pad

- Brake pads are held in place under tension in the caliper using a variety of mechanisms. Specific to the Macan, these include anti rattle clips (the cruciform clips seen on the top and bottom of the caliper), brake shim (metal piece that goes between the pad the rotor), and the spring clip (metal spring that reinforces the contact between the brake shim and the brake pad). Failure/loosening of any of these components could potentially lead to the aforementioned rattling sound, which can occur under braking or potentially under acceleration as well (e.g. if the metal clip or brake pad is in constant contact with the rotor)

I've attached pictures of the anti-rattle clips (far and close-up) as well as brake shims from screen shots I took from YouTube tutorials that demonstrate how to change brake pads on Gen 2 Macans.

There's been plenty of discussion on the typical brake squeaking/squealing on Porsches, but rattling seems to be less common. Hope this post will help someone now or later on down the road who comes across the same issue that I had. It's a relatively inexpensive fix that involves replacing the culpable small metal parts.

Anti rattle clips

Anti rattle clip (close up)

Brake pad (black) and brake shim (silver)

Last edited by OC GTS; 10-31-2023 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:48 AM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice post, thank you. One minor quibble - the shim goes at the back (non-rotor) side of the pad. Apparently there are disagreements between those who think the shims should be permanently attached to the back of the pad, or should be an independent part. My Akebono pads have integrated shims, fwiw.

Quick Reply: Creaking/clicking from front passenger side brake