Macan 2014-Current

Need Help: Can't Exit Electronic Brake Service State

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 04:27 AM
mp_997S
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need Help: Can't Exit Electronic Brake Service State

Working on my 2017 Macan GTS and I've got a scenario here a little different that other posts on this topic and guides I've see to do your rear brake pads and everything suggested the safest way is to release the Electronic Parking Brake using a scan tool that supports it.

I was able to get using my iCarsoft POR II scan tool to enter service mode and could hear the mechanics retract. When I started the next step of the job, I suddenly found myself at a lost for locating the lug nut security adapter for the wheels. So, I has to aborted doing the pads today and figured would regroup later once I could get the wheels off. However, when I went back to scan the tool to try and wrap up the service mode, I was unable to successfully run the "End Assembly Position" option. The car remained with the blinking P light on the emergency break and dash light. I watched this process many times on different YouTube videos and this how the finished except there were no errors.

I'm trying to figure out if the reason the car is not going back out of service mode because I aborted without preforming the actual brake swap? I really need to use the car until I can resolve getting the wheels off and I have no idea what to do now, there are not additional options on the scan tool that seem to help. I tried driving the car to see if it would force a reset but it keep beeping an emergency brake light, I'm not entirely if the car is even safe to drive, parking defiantly requires wheel blocks to secure from rolling. Everything suggests it is just stuck in service mode..

When I try to end it reports the following:
Error: Parking Break not in assembly position
Left: (Status' parking brake in assembly position) | OK
Right: (Status' parking brake in assembly position) | OK
The parking brake must be moved to assembly position

The tool menu has:
Clear DTCS
Rear Wheel Brake Pad Replacement [This was the initial menu I used to set the service mode]
Move To Installation Position [Seems to be redundant to the Replacement option,]
End Assembly Position [This is what all the videos used to end the mode, I get an error trying to run it]

I feel like my only option is to just get the wheels up and finish the pad replacements, then hope the scan tool is just getting hung up on some sort of sensor state that will clear. From there if nothing works I need to figure out if it is safe to drive to a shop or dealership and just hope they have better tools to resolve whatever the hang up is.

Thanks a bunch if you have any insight to how I get the car back into a working mode!

Last edited by mp_997S; 10-09-2023 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:54 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts

The EPB (Electronic Parking Brake Control Module) does not "know" if you actually replace the brake pads (there is no sensor for that). The problem is that the EPB module is confused as to what the state of the parking brake motors are in. Did you try cycling the Parking Brake switch?
If that doesn't work, you can remove the screws that hold the parking brake motor to the back of the caliper, pull the motor off, then you can manually turn the torx head drive screw (on the caliper, where the motor shaft engaged). Try turning the screw in one direction, if it is immediatly tight, then try turning it in the opposite direction till it stops turning. Now replace the motors, being careful to get the motor shaft splines to engage the caliper drive screw. Do not force it, if it doesn't fit rotate the motor back and forth a bit, till the splines lineup and engage. Then install the motor mounting screws, but only if the motor sits flush to the back of the caliper. Then turn-on the engine, and try cycling the parking brake with the console switch.

Last edited by VAGfan; 10-09-2023 at 01:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VAGfan:
jbx2 (01-21-2024), Larson E. Rapp (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 01:51 PM
mp_997S
5th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply. I should be able to get the wheels of this afternoon when the replacement lock adapter arrives.

>>Did you try cycling the Parking Brake switch?

If you are talking about the brake switch in the center console, it has a blinking light now. Trying to set or unset the break via this switch is doing nothing. Assuming this is what you are asking.

I also tried with the scan tool to re-engage the mode which I first got working. It results in a different error but I presumed that was because I had already set.

Understood on your suggestion on the motor, I saw a video on this method of the job but my assessment suggested since I had the scan tool it would be the safer method.

It sounds like that motor’s positioning may be the only sensor in play for the error state? Retracting it fully would ensure it is in the “assembly/install position? Extending it would be on the ended assembly position? Which position should I be targeting?

I feel comfortable heading your warnings about not forcing anything and insuring alignment. Any other warnings to make sure aim not making things worse and the state I should leave them in if I need to have an experienced professional take over?

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2023, 02:32 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I would try to cycle between the modes to get the system to try to "re-learn" where its at. See if you can set the "installation position" again via the icarsoft and then hit the "end assembly" position. See if it will re-learn what position its actually in. I literally just did this with my 19 Macan bc I was doing the rear brakes and fortunately didn't run into this issue. Used the iCarSoft machine.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:29 PM
mp_997S
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NJR1986
I would try to cycle between the modes to get the system to try to "re-learn" where its at. See if you can set the "installation position" again via the icarsoft and then hit the "end assembly" position. See if it will re-learn what position its actually in. I literally just did this with my 19 Macan bc I was doing the rear brakes and fortunately didn't run into this issue. Used the iCarSoft machine.
Originally Posted by NJR1986
I would try to cycle between the modes to get the system to try to "re-learn" where its at. See if you can set the "installation position" again via the icarsoft and then hit the "end assembly" position.
Trying to set the install position again also errors so I can’t seem to cycle via software.
here is the error status on trying to reset to install position​​​​​​​

Trying to set now to install position

Trying to End Assembly
​​​​​​​
Old 10-09-2023, 10:17 PM
mp_997S
5th Gear

Small update:
  • Wheels are off now, car is on the lift.
  • The parking break is absolutely disengaged from the initial set to service mode. As the rear wheels rotate freely.

I’d like to just finish the job as I was originally intending. Before I try taking off messing with the electric motor position. Given the e parking break is not on and it moves freely, I should be safe to compress the piston back so I can fit over the new pads? What happens if that piston is compressed and the motor is not fully retracted?
Old 10-10-2023, 02:23 AM
mp_997S
5th Gear

Issue Resolved!

But seriously, I actually don't know what did it. I tried all of the early suggestions, everything was in the assembly mode. I decided to just wrap up and just try one last time. Nothing worked again, then after just hitting my limits for the day I must have just pressed the OK button the tool in a screen I couldn't get to work multiple time times over in frustration. Suddenly it started processing the End request and I could hear the system respond.

If I had to guess, possibly it had something to do with attempting with the car running first (as I had been only going to ignition on (not started) state. Then maybe after switching off the engine then back on the ignition that last round of frustrating button presses worked. I may have also triggered the clear code menu to. Ugh I wish I know what the prerequisite was, I seriously tried every option in all these menus multiple times.
​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by mp_997S:
jbx2 (10-10-2023), WillinEvergreen (10-10-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 10:48 AM
NJR1986
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Happy it fixed the issue for you !
Old 01-11-2024, 05:11 AM
VikingPorsche
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have the part nr for caliper bolts front and rear for the 4E-Hybrid?

Quick Reply: Need Help: Can't Exit Electronic Brake Service State