Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Steering wheel restore?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 08:08 AM
omniphil
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, will certainly just have to get the wheel redone at this point. Like most people I was certainly trying to see if I could go the cheap route first with my own elbow grease...
Old 02-11-2024, 09:15 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by omniphil
I've tried everything at this point, nothing has brought it back to a nice matte finish unfortunately.... I'd pay to have it wrapped if I thought it would look ok, but I suspect a leather wrap is just going to look tacky...
That's odd the magic eraser didn't work. I just completed a treatment on my wife's very shiny steering wheel and in less than 5 minutes it was a night and day difference. I hadn't done it before on her car and am very happy with the outcome. This is the fourth car I've done it on and it delivers the same results every time.

The wheel is shiny because repeated contact and use slowly polishes the surface. That's why degreasers don't work unless there is a film on there but it's usually the polishing effect of time and use. A magic eraser is a light abrasive and will slightly roughen up the surface to remove the shiny look and create a uniform matte surface texture and finish.
​​

Last edited by BMinSFL; 02-11-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:25 AM
omniphil
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
That's odd the magic eraser didn't work. I just completed a treatment on my wife's very shiny steering wheel and in less than 5 minutes it was a night and day difference. I hadn't done it before on her car and am very happy with the outcome. This is the fourth car I've done it on and it delivers the same results every time.

The wheel is shiny because repeated contact and use slowly polishes the surface. That's why degreasers don't work unless there is a film on there but it's usually the polishing effect of time and use. A magic eraser is a light abrasive and will slightly roughen up the surface to remove the shiny look and create a uniform matte surface texture and finish.
​​
I tried several attempts with the magic eraser from light to very aggressive. While it did take the shine away it was still slippery and never felt grippy like a new wheel.

My wheel was from a 2018 so maybe it was too far gone. Who knows. But I learned alot in the process and that gave me the information I needed to look at a profession restore to get the wheel grippy again.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:08 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by omniphil
I tried several attempts with the magic eraser from light to very aggressive. While it did take the shine away it was still slippery and never felt grippy like a new wheel.

My wheel was from a 2018 so maybe it was too far gone. Who knows. But I learned alot in the process and that gave me the information I needed to look at a profession restore to get the wheel grippy again.
Interesting, I always had some extra level of grip, including the one I did yesterday. I wouldn't compare it to a new wheel but I would highly recommend one to refresh the car. I did a GT wheel with the Sport+ dial and its been one of my favorite mods. I don't think you can do that on a 2018 but see if you can find one thats a bit different to freshen up and change things up while you are at it.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:07 PM
Indy300
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same slick wheel. I will be trying leatherique on the wheel ( and seats ) it this weekend. I used it on my dash a few weeks ago and was very happy with the matte finish.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:14 AM
GentianGentleman
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Those red carpets would look very good in a black carpet , red contrast stitched black leather alcantara interior.. very honda!
Old 03-14-2024, 03:44 PM
jwalz1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
As a last ditch effort, you may consider the following approach to cleaning the embedded dirt and oils out of the leather:

1) Get a bucket of very hot water and a clean rougher nap microfiber cloth
2) Get the microfiber cloth saturated with the very hot water and wring it out so that it is not dripping
3) Place the microfiber cloth on a section of the leather and hold it on there for a minute or so
4) Continue to do this around the full circumference of the steering wheel
Most of the details shops are using car interior steamers these days. Probably don't make sense for a lot of DIY in your driveway stuff, but if you are a meticulous interior person, it is amazing what they do for light colored leather seats and carpet.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by jwalz1; 03-14-2024 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:02 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalz1
Most of the details shops are using car interior steamers these day. Probably don't make sense for a lot of DIY in your driveway stuff, but if you are a meticulous interior person, it is amazing what they do for light colored leather seats and carpet.

https://www.amazon.com/Hapyvergo-Pre...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
That's probably a good approach.

Have to be careful with the steam however. Some components don't like it - especially if there are electronics in portions of the assembly (like steering wheels...)

Old 03-18-2024, 11:52 AM
Indy300
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried the magic eraser on my wheel. WOW! what a difference! It pulled off a ton of dirt.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:54 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by Indy300
I tried the magic eraser on my wheel. WOW! what a difference! It pulled off a ton of dirt.
Yeah that's good stuff. Considering that a magic eraser is a fine abrasive sponge, maybe similar to 8000-10000 grit If I had to guess, it may be a worthwhile venture, if one was planning to recover or buy a new wheel, to try a more aggressive wet sand abrasive such as a 5,000 or even 3,000 grit to get a nice grippy finish.

You risk removing some dye and the topcoat but I have used Seat Doctors dye and topcoat products and they have fared very well.

My project was converting a red crest armrest to match my black interior. It's perfect after a year and my finishing step to get an OE matte finish was to use a magic eraser to smooth out the topcoat to a perfect uniform finish.

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/a.../#post-2744174

Last edited by BMinSFL; 03-22-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:57 PM
Penstamin
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

We probably aren't referring to the same product. A Magic Eraser I am talking about is a melamine sponge that is an abrasive, flexible, sponge-like material. When using one, you are not applying anything but abrading and removing a top layer of the leather. If you use it with water and only with light passes, its a very slight top layer of the embedded dirt and oils, revealing a fresh layer underneath.

Its probably best to coat the leather afterwards with a more permanent product like a matte leather topcoat but in my experience using this as a last ditch effort, the results are very impressive and a typical leather conditioner can be used afterwards. I had a link in my above post where I used it to finish off a freshly redyed and top-coated leather armrest. If comparing to an exterior paint correction, I used the magic eraser as a final wet sand or even polish to achieve the factory matte finish I was looking for that still holds up after applying a typical conditioner
@BMinSFL Are we talking about the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser here? Or some other product? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2024, 01:04 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by Penstamin
@BMinSFL Are we talking about the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser here? Or some other product? Thanks!
Yes, or any generic variant that is labelled as a melamine sponge.
The following users liked this post:
Penstamin (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 01:25 PM
Penstamin
Advanced

Yes, or any generic variant that is labelled as a melamine sponge.
Many thanks.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:32 PM
Kohlmines
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Penstamin
and this is a quote I got from my local custom upholstery place in Scottsdale, Arizona to refinish my leather wheel:

“We can clean, recondition and dye the entire steering wheel to conceal any wear marks. The cost for that is $225.
What shop was this? Looking to have mine repaired and I’m in Phoenix as well
Old 05-23-2024, 12:02 AM
Penstamin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kohlmines
What shop was this? Looking to have mine repaired and I’m in Phoenix as well
@Kohlmines
SCOTTSDALE AUTO UPHOLSTERY

> MIKE MALOICH

> SALES AND OPERATIONS MANAGER

> 480-935-3401/OFFICE