Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Finally test-drove a 2024 GTS and not that impressed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 11:10 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
I agree the GTS sound is weak, really weak. The PDK is lazy too.
Weird, i thought the programming in the GTS PDK and the base PDK are totally different. The base PDK seemed very crisp and i assumed programmed to stay in the 4 cylinders powerband whereas the shifts in the GTS felt lazy in comparison. I got annoyed with the programming and just keep it in manual mode 100% of the time.

Regardless still enjoyable

Old 09-23-2023, 11:53 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
Weird, i thought the programming in the GTS PDK and the base PDK are totally different. The base PDK seemed very crisp and i assumed programmed to stay in the 4 cylinders powerband whereas the shifts in the GTS felt lazy in comparison. I got annoyed with the programming and just keep it in manual mode 100% of the time.

Regardless still enjoyable

I have a GTS and agree the PDK is lazy. I've had base Macan loaners and it think the PDK works with the 4-cylinder better. Perhaps is the programming of the two, but the GTS is downright lazy compared to the loaners I've had. I wish I knew a way to wake up this transmission. I've looked at some of the inserts, but not sure I understand how they can help.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:55 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 187 Posts

No question but that the PDK tuning is much better on the base model than any of the others. It has to be.

A PDK tune for the other Macan models that makes them behave more like the base could be interesting.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:02 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

It's really a shame that Porsche's top performance model for the Macan right now doesn't react with a lot of energy. We have an older Macan S ('18) and I tried a bunch of things. Pedal commander included. Agree with others that a Pedal commander (or sprint booster) can help. It's effectively like strapping a block of wood to the top of the gas pedal. All it does is recurve the gas pedal response to ramp faster. Nothing else. I'm not a lawyer, but there's very little chance Porsche could give you a hard time for this as you could do exactly the same thing by pushing the gas pedal faster yourself.
I removed ours because I could never get it set right to feel truly OEM. Always had odd behavior, a bit jumpy. So, our solve is just to drive ours in Sport mode 100% of the time which works great.
It's also a bummer that the newer Macans are so quiet. Our '18S with sports exhaust is kind of absurdly loud, but it's fun. Yes, the new ones are WAY faster, but I'm not sure they are more fun.
Good luck.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:11 PM
GP20
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the responses and feedback! I had a chat with my sales, and fair enough the GTS I drove comes with insulated/quieter windows. That explains why I couldn't hear jack. Why anyone would spec a car with both PSE & insulated windows is beyond me.

Thanks for the advice on the pedal commander. Already placed an order. But it's weird that this is what people would need to do to fix a Porsche throttle response. And sounds like I'm out of luck with the PDK slow gear change.
The following users liked this post:
TikiLou (10-03-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 03:21 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
It's really a shame that Porsche's top performance model for the Macan right now doesn't react with a lot of energy. We have an older Macan S ('18) and I tried a bunch of things. Pedal commander included. Agree with others that a Pedal commander (or sprint booster) can help. It's effectively like strapping a block of wood to the top of the gas pedal. All it does is recurve the gas pedal response to ramp faster. Nothing else. I'm not a lawyer, but there's very little chance Porsche could give you a hard time for this as you could do exactly the same thing by pushing the gas pedal faster yourself.
I removed ours because I could never get it set right to feel truly OEM. Always had odd behavior, a bit jumpy. So, our solve is just to drive ours in Sport mode 100% of the time which works great.
It's also a bummer that the newer Macans are so quiet. Our '18S with sports exhaust is kind of absurdly loud, but it's fun. Yes, the new ones are WAY faster, but I'm not sure they are more fun.
Good luck.
I think with both (the Macan and Cayenne) the older models feel more like a porsche than the newer ones. I test drove a 2016 Cayenne base and yep, that felt like a real porsche. Right after test drove the 21 cayenne and that felt like a whatever SUV of that class. No porsche soul left there. Same was with the Macan S. The 2017 Macan S felt like a Porsche, the 2020 Model significantly less but the difference was not as bad as with the Cayenne. I ended up with a new 23 S model. I think that feels a lot Porsche again just the throttle response sucks and I wish they would have left the buttons in the middle console. BTW, I am happy with the sound of my 23 S without sport exhaust. I think it is loud enough to be fun but not too loud to be annoying for daily driving. Love the cold starts.......
Old 09-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by GP20
Thanks for the advice on the pedal commander. Already placed an order. But it's weird that this is what people would need to do to fix a Porsche throttle response.
Safe to say the throttle response is nerfed for regulatory reasons, not because Porsche wanted to do it that way. Their hands are largely tied.
Old 09-23-2023, 04:48 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Perhaps is the programming of the two, but the GTS is downright lazy compared to the loaners I've had. I wish I knew a way to wake up this transmission. I've looked at some of the inserts, but not sure I understand how they can help.
lol for this reason I will always buy a car with a manual until my left leg falls off (not trying to create another MT vs PDK thread, just my opinion/preference). I just bought my daughter a manual jetta and if it wasnt made of tin foil i would drive it more than the SUVs (half kidding)
Llarry (09-24-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 07:49 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm gonna come right out and say it. I love my Macan GTS, with all its quirks.
The following 6 users liked this post by AlBinVA:
dak911 (09-26-2023), MovingChicane (09-26-2023), mrcarlo (09-28-2023), Russian Mafia (09-24-2023), supercup (09-24-2023), Zeus993 (09-23-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-24-2023, 11:53 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Given your comments you might be better suited with a Cayenne GTS - great V8 sound and more room than a Macan GTS or an X5M or X6M. That said I DD a 2023 Macan GTS and agree the back seat is tight but I only occasional have back seat passengers. While throttle response is a bit lazy in comfort mode, its better in sport and pretty good in sport plus. It can be adjusted further with a pedal commander as noted above, to dial in your specific liking.

I have not tried pedal commander on the GTS but do have a pedal commander on my 2022 Ford F-350 Diesel truck and it was night and day difference in City 1 mode from lazy OEM pedal to very quick take up and acceleration with pedal commander (it has Eco, City, Sport and Sport + and 5 settings within each of those). Unfortunately when driving in the mountains or in traffic the pedal commander doesn't keep up with the needs for shifting with the 10 speed transmission - so it becomes abrupt and has some delay in getting throttle response when you want it. With OEM you always got it when you asked for it, no delay - even if you didn't get quite as much as you wanted. Because of this I did not get one for my GTS.

All in all it sounds like your expectations for the GTS were too high as it is not a 4S or a sports car, but is very capable SUV, with proper settings for your intended use. If you get after it in Sport + on a mountain road, you will appreciate the Porsche DNA it has inside! On a DD basis it can go along like any other SUV - by programming your individual settings with the click of the sport dial you can have it in sport or sport plus all the time to improve upon the comfort mode for both throttle take up and different shift points.

Since you drive an M - an X5M or X6M are another option to consider. I have had a couple different X5M's (2010, 2021) and they are rocket ships - bigger, heavier vehicle, but an amazing "SUV" all the same. I went from my 2010 X5M to a Panamera Turbo and to be honest that is still one of my all time favorite DD/people haulers! The PTT is just an amazing vehicle - luxury when you want it and an absolute wolf when you call for that.

Lots of great options out there - hope you find what is best for you!

Last edited by supercup; 09-24-2023 at 11:56 AM.
justabout (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 08:47 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 629 Posts

We have a 2022 GTS. Throttle is super lazy, as in dangerously lazy as stock. Pedal commander or sprint booster fixes the throttle mapping and makes the car way nicer to drive.

Not sure on your comments on the sport exhaust. On our GTS with windows down and/or sunroof open if you put it in Sport+ and manual shift mode the exhaust sounds amazing especially for a V6.

We have the insulated glass option and I agree w/ everything closed up, even with PSE on it's pretty quiet inside.

Last edited by Nickshu; 09-24-2023 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:41 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 319 Posts

Please ignore everyone who says the Macan throttle response is "dangerous", what a friggin joke that is. If a Macan's throttle is dangerous, so are 99% of the vehicles out there on the road today.
The following 2 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
NickS (09-26-2023), steveo17 (09-26-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 08:59 AM
omniphil
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also thought the throttle response was terrible in Normal mode. But in reality after a bunch of testing with a pedal commander the issue is not the throttle at all but the transmission.

For the 6 cyl cars on normal mode the transmission stays way way low in the rpm range, so low that when you squeeze the throttle a little there is not much power to be had down there. The throttle is fine and tries to do it's best but you have little to no boost at 1200rpms and little to no power. If the transmission shifted down you wouldn't have an issue. If you put the car in manual shifting mode and keep the revs a little higher where it can generate some boost you will see how much better the cars feels. (And the throttle is fine)

Sport mode fixes all this as well not because the throttle is sharper, but because when you dip into the throttle a bit it will downshift sooner.

So lets all stop blaming the "lazy throttle", its the transmission that is lazy... transmissions programming in normal mode is done for MPG reasons... We really need some sort of transmission tune that prompts a downshift earlier vs refusing to shift until you get further into the pedal... (Or just use manual mode)
(Pedal commander doesn't help this unfortunately as if you carefully tip into the throttle the same thing happens, you just think its better because you move your foot the same amount as you did before and that prompts a downshift)
The following 3 users liked this post by omniphil:
#1SomeGuy (09-25-2023), AlBinVA (09-25-2023), Larson E. Rapp (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 10:59 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by omniphil
I also thought the throttle response was terrible in Normal mode. But in reality after a bunch of testing with a pedal commander the issue is not the throttle at all but the transmission.

For the 6 cyl cars on normal mode the transmission stays way way low in the rpm range, so low that when you squeeze the throttle a little there is not much power to be had down there. The throttle is fine and tries to do it's best but you have little to no boost at 1200rpms and little to no power. If the transmission shifted down you wouldn't have an issue. If you put the car in manual shifting mode and keep the revs a little higher where it can generate some boost you will see how much better the cars feels. (And the throttle is fine)

Sport mode fixes all this as well not because the throttle is sharper, but because when you dip into the throttle a bit it will downshift sooner.

So lets all stop blaming the "lazy throttle", its the transmission that is lazy... transmissions programming in normal mode is done for MPG reasons... We really need some sort of transmission tune that prompts a downshift earlier vs refusing to shift until you get further into the pedal... (Or just use manual mode)
(Pedal commander doesn't help this unfortunately as if you carefully tip into the throttle the same thing happens, you just think its better because you move your foot the same amount as you did before and that prompts a downshift)
Or just always drive in sport...there's no harm in it. The normal mode is literally there to hit fuel efficiency regulations.
The following 3 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
AlBinVA (09-25-2023), Larson E. Rapp (09-25-2023), Russian Mafia (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 11:42 AM
omniphil
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Or just always drive in sport...there's no harm in it. The normal mode is literally there to hit fuel efficiency regulations.
I thinks that's what most of us do.. But it would be nice if the normal mode had a little bit more aggressive downshifting only in the very low revs where the Macan makes no power...
I'm ok with it plodding along at 1100rpms when I want to be quiet and fuel efficient. but if I start getting into the throttle don't keep me there and refuse an upshift.... This is what most people are complaining about as it feels very unnatural to keep gently pressing down the throttle and nothing happens...

No one makes a transmission tune for this platform?

Last edited by omniphil; 09-25-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally test-drove a 2024 GTS and not that impressed?