Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Macan (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan-232/)
-   -   Finally test-drove a 2024 GTS and not that impressed? (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/1365700-finally-test-drove-a-2024-gts-and-not-that-impressed.html)

GP20 09-22-2023 04:04 PM

Finally test-drove a 2024 GTS and not that impressed?

A bit of background about me. My daily driver is an F80 M3 and I also have a 2019 911 4GTS and 2008 BMW Z4M coupe as my weekend/summer cars. I've never owned any SUV in my life although for my line of work (realtor for 9 years) I'm probably way overdue to be driving an SUV, hence why I've decided to get one.

I actually ordered a 2024 Macan GTS 2 weeks ago having never test-driven it. I've gotten base Macan and S loaners from the dealers a few times and while I didn't drive them very hard, they were the reason I decided to order the Macan GTS. For whatever is worth, I also bought my 911 4GTS having only test-driven the 4S and it worked out fine. The only other SUV I ever test-drove was the BMW X3 M40i.

It wasn't until yesterday that I got to test-drive a GTS and somehow I came away very unimpressed. I've watched a bunch of GTS review videos in the past 2 weeks so I don't know if my expectations were simply built too high to begin with. When I drove the GTS, I thought the throttle response was very slow and sluggish, the PDK gear change was very slow, and I really couldn't hear the sport exhaust much. It was quite honestly, a very boring and unemotional test-drive. Acceleration was pretty good once the car got going, but the initial response was very laggy.

I've heard a lot of people say the Macan GTS drives and handles like a taller 911. Well, I have a 911 and the Macan GTS felt very heavy and not really that nimble. What really bugged me the most was when I stomped the gas pedal, I couldn't hear the exhaust. So what's happening? Is there something wrong with me? Am I having too high of expectations about the Macan GTS? Is my perspective not straight?

I don't think I'm gonna cancel my order just yet, simply because I do want an SUV and there's probably no other car brand I want to buy. The X3 does have more spacious rear seats and newer techs but I don't like the overall design very much. But the test-drive actually left me very confused.

BMinSFL 09-22-2023 04:34 PM

I'll ask the possibly stupid question, but were you in Sport or Sport+ and not Comfort mode?

justabout 09-22-2023 04:37 PM

I ordered my my first SUV (Cayenne GTS ‘22). Once I came to terms that it would not replace the dynamics of my PGTS and I stopped trying to maximize cornering speeds it became more enjoyable. It is an amazing vehicle, for an SUV but it’s no replacement for a sports sedan or a sports car IMHO.

GP20 09-22-2023 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BMinSFL (Post 19026179)
I'll ask the possibly stupid question, but were you in Sport or Sport+ and not Comfort mode?

I tried all 3 modes. It might have been a bit better in Sport+ but still fell short of what I was expecting.

Still could barley hear the exhaust in Sport+ with sport exhaust on.

MovingChicane 09-22-2023 05:13 PM

While I don't love my '23 GTS as compared to my '18 GTS (if fact, I'm putting it up for sale with only ~2700 miles on it), I disagree with you. Sport mode in a nice 270 degree on/off ramp should demonstrate the capabilities just fine. Former GT3 and 3RS and Turbo on Ohlins and etc. etc. etc. (and other brand sport/exotic) owner here. But I also recognize everyone has different levels of "feeling" and we all have a-holes, I mean opinions. ;)
Move on if it doesn't ring your bell - better now than later. Good luck.

GP20 09-22-2023 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MovingChicane (Post 19026246)
While I don't love my '23 GTS as compared to my '18 GTS (if fact, I'm putting it up for sale with only ~2700 miles on it), I disagree with you. Sport mode in a nice 270 degree on/off ramp should demonstrate the capabilities just fine. Former GT3 and 3 RS and Turbo on Ohlins and etc. etc. etc. (and other brand sport/exotic) owner here. But I also recognize everyone has different levels of "feeling" and we all have a-holes, I mean opinions. ;)

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the 2023 GTS that made you decide to sell it so soon?

MovingChicane 09-22-2023 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by GP20 (Post 19026271)
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the 2023 GTS that made you decide to sell it so soon?

A few reasons, in no particular order:
  • Third SUV in a 2-person household (my own damn fault)
  • It feels (subjective) slower than the 2018 GTS did (draggy times I have done in this '23 aren't "wow")
  • Back seat room is (still) just about non-existent (I'm 6'1" and have the driver seat pretty far back)
  • I thought it would be 90% of the 911 Turbo experience (my sold ad for the stock car is on here somewhere), and it is, but it's still not as fast and so there are doubts/"ideas"/what if's
  • $104K MSRP as I ordered via my allocation is too high for a daily; a Subaru Crosstrek Sport at $40K might be too low but can still be as much fun legally on the street
  • The same "lightning" hasn't struck with this one as it did with the first ('18) one; maybe I'm trying to re-capture that feeling and failing which isn't surprising is it
A few things I do appreciate:
  • This 2023 handles better than the '18 with more rearward bias (tail will start to come around, and then get caught by the computers, much more so than the '18's push/pull awd system allowed)
  • 18-ways seats are wonderful
  • Finally got white center dials and a white sport chrono face - my design gene is happy
  • Looks lower when in "low" mode vs. the '18 - not sure if air suspension has been recalibrated or it's just wishful thinking
  • Overall ride is smoother than the '18 GTS

Maybe I'm rambling.
But to be clear, it's a wonderful vehicle and i have no regrets (just more ridiculous "car guy" ideas and money to lose :( LOL!)

chong0 09-22-2023 08:44 PM

A Macan is not a 911.

Once you get past that expectation and then purchase a Pedal Commander which is an absolute necessity, you will appreciate its versatility. Stock pedal response in both SUVs is abominable and requires reprogramming by the pedal commander.

preorder the pedal commander, find your setting and give it another review.

TikiLou 09-22-2023 10:04 PM

I believe the '19 - '21 GTS had some sound generated inside the cabin. If they're still doing it on the '22+, it's much quieter. Outside, however, it still sounds fantastic with the Sport Exhaust on.

I will say that the '19 and newer GTS will GREATLY benefit from a Pedal Commander or something similar in terms of how the car "feels" to drive. I've spent plenty of time driving it both with and without and it's much better with. The accelerator feel from the factory is weirdly off. You have to work the pedal a LOT to get it to really move and it just doesn't feel as quick as it should. The PC makes a huge difference. There's always somebody who replies saying "It changes nothing...just put your foot down harder" but trust me, it feels vastly different with / without.

Either way, it handles great for an SUV and the transmission is much more fun than that in the Cayenne (for example).

john981 09-22-2023 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by TikiLou (Post 19026618)
I believe the '19 - '21 GTS had some sound generated inside the cabin. If they're still doing it on the '22+, it's much quieter. Outside, however, it still sounds fantastic with the Sport Exhaust on.

I will say that the '19 and newer GTS will GREATLY benefit from a Pedal Commander or something similar in terms of how the car "feels" to drive. I've spent plenty of time driving it both with and without and it's much better with. The accelerator feel from the factory is weirdly off. You have to work the pedal a LOT to get it to really move and it just doesn't feel as quick as it should. The PC makes a huge difference. There's always somebody who replies saying "It changes nothing...just put your foot down harder" but trust me, it feels vastly different with / without.

Either way, it handles great for an SUV and the transmission is much more fun than that in the Cayenne (for example).

First time my wife drove our 23 Macan S her biggest complain was the throttle response. She is by all means not a race driver but I fully agree with her. I have to look into this pedal commander. Is it going to affect the warranty when you install it?

TikiLou 09-22-2023 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by john981 (Post 19026677)
First time my wife drove our 23 Macan S her biggest complain was the throttle response. She is by all means not a race driver but I fully agree with her. I have to look into this pedal commander. Is it going to affect the warranty when you install it?

No, it's invisible. Plugs in between the gas pedal and the cables that go to...you know, wherever they go. It's always on so to speak, but you can control it with Bluetooth via your phone. Once you set it where you like it, you never have to touch it again unless you want to change the settings or turn it off. I had the physical controller portion of it hidden up inside the dash when I had it installed so there was no visible way to tell it was there.

Larson E. Rapp 09-23-2023 02:12 AM

I saw the same thing when I was shopping for a Macan back in 2020. Planned to get a 95B.2 GTS, test-drove a GTS and an S, liked the S better. The GTS simply did not want to get up off the couch and get moving. I thought I was crazy, so I actually went back and asked to drive the GTS again. It absolutely did not feel as lively as the S regardless of drive mode. Soooooo.... S it was.

It made no sense at the time, and it makes no sense now. But your impression is 100% valid as far as I'm concerned. In Sport+ mode the S drives very nicely, and I've rarely found myself wishing for more HP. Had I a GTS on order, it would have been canceled in favor of an S after the back-to-back test drives I took.

(Looking back, this isn't the first time I've gotten the impression that the sweet spot is toward the midrange in Porsche's lineup. I have a 981S that was purchased with a check intended for a 991S, because I drove the 981S at the last minute out of curiosity and just plain liked it better.)

BMinSFL 09-23-2023 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by john981 (Post 19026677)

Any modifications will affect the warranty, per the language. It's unlikely though that this device would cause an actual issue, however it depends what a potential warranty claim involves and how far PCNA would take it to defend the right to deny claim based on a modification.

For example, this device connects to the electrical system and possibly the CAN BUS which also connects to every other module in the vehicle. Typically though, any issues are resolved once a defective module or device is removed. I'd find it hard to believe that a pedal commander would cause any permanent issues from erratic signals.

When I had mine, I disconnected it before I went to the dealer and honestly I never put it back in because I learned to better control the pedal and did not want an aftermarket electrical item in the car that could potentially fail. Generally though, these devices have a good track record and do provide a very tangible difference once installed.

ranger22 09-23-2023 08:58 AM

Perhaps go try out the TGT. It's pretty quiet too though. Turn in is better on the Macan, but everything else is better on the TGT, including a smidge more sound.

I agree the GTS sound is weak, really weak. The PDK is lazy too. Prior to this car, my PDK experience was the PDK-S in GT3RS's, so this one has left me quite disappointed. I've added a pedal commander to mine and it improves the feel a bit, but it doesn't change how clunky the PDK is. The car is quick, but it's not down right fast. There have been times when I've wondered, is this really all it has in it? I guess you get what you pay for. The Macan is Porsches cheapest car.

Zeus993 09-23-2023 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MovingChicane (Post 19026246)
While I don't love my '23 GTS as compared to my '18 GTS (if fact, I'm putting it up for sale with only ~2700 miles on it), I disagree with you. Sport mode in a nice 270 degree on/off ramp should demonstrate the capabilities just fine. Former GT3 and 3RS and Turbo on Ohlins and etc. etc. etc. (and other brand sport/exotic) owner here. But I also recognize everyone has different levels of "feeling" and we all have a-holes, I mean opinions. ;)

I too come from the smaller Porsche Sports cars (see my signature below) but have come to appreciate my 2018 Macan GTS for what it is - it's not a low, planted 997/987/991/981/993 - it's a taller, heavier truck-like SUV that you CAN romp on it, toss it around, espcially in Sport or Sport+ Mode. I actually LOVE it for what it is.

Originally Posted by chong0 (Post 19026530)
A Macan is not a 911.

Once you get past that expectation and then purchase a Pedal Commander which is an absolute necessity, you will appreciate its versatility. Stock pedal response in both SUVs is abominable and requires reprogramming by the pedal commander.

preorder the pedal commander, find your setting and give it another review.

I here more and more about Pedal Commander. Thanks for brining it up.