Macan 2014-Current

Thinking about a '24 Macan S from a '20 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 07:35 PM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Thinking about a '24 Macan S from a '20 Cayenne

Thinking about buying a new Macan S in chalk. I'm trying to downsize to 1 car because I currently have a little track day / sports car and the big Cayenne SUV. This Cayenne also has the LiFE batteries which are a nightmare right now in the Cayenne forums. $4k to replace every 4 years, argh.

My 2020 Cayenne is fully optioned with everything from 360 cam, ventilated seats, ACC, to HUD and I've never found it wanting for power. She's a heavy girl though albeit luxurious and a different kind of fun when canyon carving.

I was thinking that perhaps the 2024 Macan S (hopefully doesn't suffer from oil leaks anymore?) could be a do it all car? I plan just do 1-2x track days and maybe an auto-x each year. The other car I had my eye on is an M3 but I generally prefer Porsche and my last M3 was an E46 back in the day and today's M3 just doesn't seem quite like the same spirit.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:20 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 204 Posts

The Macan S will be a lot of fun to drive, however, there are some things to consider...
  • It's not a sports car...it's bigger and heavier, with a higher center of gravity (even in Low Mode if you have AAS)
  • Despite it being bigger than a sports car, it's MUCH smaller than a Cayenne...if you're tall, many people will find it difficult or impossible to sit behind you when you're driving
  • Some track events won't allow SUVs, so make sure the ones you want to do will
  • You won't have some of the things you have in your Cayenne...f'rinstance, ventilated seats aren't available for the rear seats, there's no HUD available, etc.
  • Throttle response on the Macan is weird...many people find it to feel quite sluggish "out of the box" and add a Pedal Commander or similar device to liven it up / make it feel more responsive
With all of that said, if you decide to consolidate into a Macan, also price out the GTS after you spec your S...if the price isn't that far off, the GTS will have a bit more power and will likely hold its value more than an S (if you care about that)
The following 2 users liked this post by TikiLou:
FlyPenFly (09-11-2023), Llarry (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 12:44 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Thinking about buying a new Macan S in chalk. I'm trying to downsize to 1 car because I currently have a little track day / sports car and the big Cayenne SUV. This Cayenne also has the LiFE batteries which are a nightmare right now in the Cayenne forums. $4k to replace every 4 years, argh.

My 2020 Cayenne is fully optioned with everything from 360 cam, ventilated seats, ACC, to HUD and I've never found it wanting for power. She's a heavy girl though albeit luxurious and a different kind of fun when canyon carving.

I was thinking that perhaps the 2024 Macan S (hopefully doesn't suffer from oil leaks anymore?) could be a do it all car? I plan just do 1-2x track days and maybe an auto-x each year. The other car I had my eye on is an M3 but I generally prefer Porsche and my last M3 was an E46 back in the day and today's M3 just doesn't seem quite like the same spirit.
We went from a '16 Cayenne S to a '18 Macan S and haven't looked back. A generation older than what you are looking at, though.
Way more fun to drive IMO. Yes, the space is tighter but with the rear seats down you can still haul a decent amount of stuff. I've towed the odd Uhaul with it and that works fine as well. Nothing like the Cayenne for towing though.
Just to educate myself: where can I learn about this battery thing w/the new Cayennes? Wow!
Old 09-11-2023, 02:55 PM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

Originally Posted by stiles_s
We went from a '16 Cayenne S to a '18 Macan S and haven't looked back. A generation older than what you are looking at, though.
Way more fun to drive IMO. Yes, the space is tighter but with the rear seats down you can still haul a decent amount of stuff. I've towed the odd Uhaul with it and that works fine as well. Nothing like the Cayenne for towing though.
Just to educate myself: where can I learn about this battery thing w/the new Cayennes? Wow!
Yup here you go:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-battery.html

Also affects a large portion of the 911s. The problem for the Cayennes was around 2019-2022 or so.
The following users liked this post:
stiles_s (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 07:04 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

That thread is... eye opening.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:17 AM
Llarry
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Particularly given your comment on the M3 (I had a 2005 and now have a 2022) and your plan to track/autocross the car, I would think that if you can swing the extra $10K for a GTS, you should consider that route.
Terry Adams (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 06:12 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 540 Posts

track/autocross

GTS + Air + PTV
Old 09-12-2023, 07:59 PM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

Yeah I ended up with the GTS. Will just rely on my gf's CX-50 for SUV duties lol.

supercup (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 08:52 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 299 Posts

Not what I was expecting to see but I don't have a problem with that.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:49 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Great choice - that is a great dual purpose car!

Quick Reply: Thinking about a '24 Macan S from a '20 Cayenne