Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How to remove brake fluid reservoir screen (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 07:02 PM
tmcayn
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How to remove brake fluid reservoir screen (pics)

The $1,000 engine-oil change was a bit much....I don't think I'll do that again.
It' takes like 20 minutes, so that's almost like paying myself $3000/per hour.

At 20,000 miles or 2 years, brake fluid replacement is recommended.
The dealer wanted $257, so I elected to do it myself.
I sucked out the reservoir fluid and poured in fresh fluid.
That took about 20 minutes.

The reservoir fluid replacement is so easy I think it can be replaced every 1 year and be about as good as the recommended 2-year full-bleed intervals.

I couldn't find any description how to get the brake reservoir screen out and had to kinda 'manhandle' it.
I cannot think of a good reason it's so hard to get out. There must be a trick or a special Porsche tool.

But if you do ^THIS^ -------- it comes out pretty easy.

I cut the yellow corners off all 4 locking nubs with a sharp knife and now I can pull the screen out without special ziptie tools.

===============

I decided to bleed some out of each wheel caliper.

Bled 5 pumps each from the rears and 3 brake pumps each (from the 2 each) on the front.

There was still some yellow-tint fluid coming out as I did not clear the lines of old.
But now I know the drill ---- I can do it again sooner than the suggested interval.
The farthest rear let a pretty big bubble out.
And the closest front let a big bubble out too.

I suppose the brake will be firmer now. But I don't usually drive it so I won't know.

The front closest to the reservoir was coming out clean after its 6 pumps, FWIW.

The whole project as described replaced about 16 oz of fluid.
About 9oz initially to replace the reservoir amount, then about 7oz more for all those ~16 brake pumps.
The following 4 users liked this post by tmcayn:
ByByBMW (08-28-2023), chassis (08-28-2023), jbx2 (08-29-2023), reacp911 (11-18-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 12:35 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcayn
The $1,000 engine-oil change was a bit much....I don't think I'll do that again.
It' takes like 20 minutes, so that's almost like paying myself $3000/per hour.

At 20,000 miles or 2 years, brake fluid replacement is recommended.
The dealer wanted $257, so I elected to do it myself.
I sucked out the reservoir fluid and poured in fresh fluid.
That took about 20 minutes.

The reservoir fluid replacement is so easy I think it can be replaced every 1 year and be about as good as the recommended 2-year full-bleed intervals.

I couldn't find any description how to get the brake reservoir screen out and had to kinda 'manhandle' it.
I cannot think of a good reason it's so hard to get out. There must be a trick or a special Porsche tool.

But if you do ^THIS^ -------- it comes out pretty easy.

I cut the yellow corners off all 4 locking nubs with a sharp knife and now I can pull the screen out without special ziptie tools.

===============

I decided to bleed some out of each wheel caliper.

Bled 5 pumps each from the rears and 3 brake pumps each (from the 2 each) on the front.

There was still some yellow-tint fluid coming out as I did not clear the lines of old.
But now I know the drill ---- I can do it again sooner than the suggested interval.
The farthest rear let a pretty big bubble out.
And the closest front let a big bubble out too.

I suppose the brake will be firmer now. But I don't usually drive it so I won't know.

The front closest to the reservoir was coming out clean after its 6 pumps, FWIW.

The whole project as described replaced about 16 oz of fluid.
About 9oz initially to replace the reservoir amount, then about 7oz more for all those ~16 brake pumps.
Agree changing brake fluid on Porsches is dead easy, same procedure as BMW and MB.

Agree the plastic screen in the brake fluid reservoir is a nightmare to remove. I will look at this mod next time I do the fluid change.
Old 08-29-2023, 12:23 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

I have no idea why you guys want to do this! The screen is there for a very good reason, which is to prevent any debris falling in and potentially ruining your master cylinder. Imagine if one of those zip ties had fallen in and you couldn't fish it out! More likely, what about any crud that is at the tips of your pliers?

To replace all the fluid in the system, including what's in the reservoir, use a pressure bleeder (Motiva, Schwaben, etc.) and run a couple of liters through the system. Brake fluid (esp. from online sources e.g. Rockauto) is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP compared to any possible damage to the reservoir or master cylinder.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:05 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ram_g
I have no idea why you guys want to do this! The screen is there for a very good reason, which is to prevent any debris falling in and potentially ruining your master cylinder. Imagine if one of those zip ties had fallen in and you couldn't fish it out! More likely, what about any crud that is at the tips of your pliers?

To replace all the fluid in the system, including what's in the reservoir, use a pressure bleeder (Motiva, Schwaben, etc.) and run a couple of liters through the system. Brake fluid (esp. from online sources e.g. Rockauto) is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP compared to any possible damage to the reservoir or master cylinder.
Yeah, agree with this, plus you're leaving a lot of brake fluid in the lines by sucking it out the reservoir. Old brake fluid is supposed to come out the nipple on the caliper, not from the reservoir at the top end.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:31 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 982 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by ram_g

Because using a suction pump to empty the reservoir when flushing the system cannot be done w/ the screen in place. Sure you can bleed it through but you waste a ton of expensive brake fluid trying to flush out all the old and get only new fluid. If you have ever tried this w/ different colors of brake fluid you will see how much it takes to actually get it all pushed through when you are mixing it in the reservoir.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:09 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Because using a suction pump to empty the reservoir when flushing the system cannot be done w/ the screen in place. Sure you can bleed it through but you waste a ton of expensive brake fluid trying to flush out all the old and get only new fluid. If you have ever tried this w/ different colors of brake fluid you will see how much it takes to actually get it all pushed through when you are mixing it in the reservoir.
I have replaced the brake fluid scores of times in probably a dozen or more cars over like 20 years. Typically run a couple of quarts/liters through which is many times more than the capacity of the brake systems. The resultant fill is always impeccably clean.

Last I checked a liter of Bosch or Pentosin Porsche spec brake fluid was $10 - $15 on Rockauto.

You do you, but I’ll spend $30 and not remove any screen.

Quick Reply: How to remove brake fluid reservoir screen (pics)