Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Hood Adjustment - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2023 | 06:10 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Default Macan Hood Adjustment - Need Help

Our CPO 2021 Macan S spent a week (!) at my dealer because of a persistent “creaking” noise emanating from the base of both A-pillars. It’s especially noticeable at low speeds as the car turns into driveways or anything causing the body to torque.

The noise is NOT coming from the suspension because vigorous manual compression of either side is silent. So, it’s almost certainly the clamshell hood, specifically where it meets the windshield at the A-pillars. There are adjustment screws there and my dealer assured me that they’d silenced my creaking by adjusting those screws.

Except, the creaking is actually worse now. I’m not eager to go back to them as I have no confidence they actually know how to properly adjust the hood.

Sorry for the long explanation, but, if you’re still with me, does anyone here know how to adjust the hood on a Macan? I searched “hood adjustment” here, but no joy. YouTube was not helpful either. I want to know what the trick is to properly align that giant hood to shut off the annoying “creak” noise. Our 2017 Macan GTS was blissfully solid, so I know what I’m missing.

Thanks. Pic shows adjustment screw with green dot on top.

Old 08-24-2023 | 06:25 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Yup, had it on mine two years ago and the dealer spent a day on it and it had been silenced since.
I don't know what they did but when the car was given back to me they lubed every single latches, pins, and bump stops under the hood.

It may not be just one single screw, I talk to the tech briefly and he told me there are a lot of different materials going on,
you got aluminum, steel, plastic, foam, rubber, everything expand at a different rate under heat and that create gap and noise.
The following users liked this post:
Leader (08-24-2023)
Old 08-26-2023 | 04:10 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Faust T.
…I don't know what they did but when the car was given back to me they lubed every single latches, pins, and bump stops under the hood…
Thanks for answering. This morning I silicone sprayed every visible contact point where the hood meets the body/chassis. Took a test drive and the noise is gone. For now. I’ll have to see what temperature changes do. So far, lubricating all the different material surfaces which meet seems to have done the trick. ✅
Penstamin (08-27-2023)
Old 08-26-2023 | 05:19 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Lubricant seems to be the easiest way to quiet it down vs adjustment. I used dielectric grease but it ended up becoming more of a liquid and running down the sides of the fender after some time. It worked though.

I've also read about DuPont Krytox on the forums as a good lubricant.
Leader (08-26-2023)
Old 08-27-2023 | 03:46 PM
Penstamin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leader
Thanks for answering. This morning I silicone sprayed every visible contact point where the hood meets the body/chassis. Took a test drive and the noise is gone. For now. I’ll have to see what temperature changes do. So far, lubricating all the different material surfaces which meet seems to have done the trick. ✅
Would love to know how long your silicone spray fix keeps the rattles away. I have the same sort of creaking from my 2015 S, and have replaced the "Noise Eliminator - Hood Bushings" which provided some relief, but not much. Since the noise comes and goes, it's hard to replicate for a mechanic. Will try the spray treatment next.
Leader (08-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Macan Hood Adjustment - Need Help