Macan 2014-Current

PSCB Expected Life - New Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 01:03 PM
jaredsnyc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PSCB Expected Life - New Purchase

Hi all - my first post on the forum, officially became a first-time owner yesterday after having Porsches in my family for many years (GT4, Cayenne, etc.). Here's my build for anybody that's curious: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR793HV2

As the car is a 2023 GTS, PSCB are standard. I'm trying to understand the expected lifetime of these brakes (specifically, the rotors). I spoke with the service department at the dealer, and they stated that they have never replaced PSCB rotors due to wear. I have found an anecdotal post on Rennlist that indicates over 60,000 miles of "hard driving" with "a lot of life left on them."

The car that I purchased was a corporate Porsche vehicle (previously untitled - so still considered a "new" car) and had ~10,400 miles on it at the time of purchase, but it went through the CPO process and has the CPO 2-year unlimited mile warranty after new-car is over. For what it's worth (which may be little), the CPO Inspection shows that, at 10,409 miles, the car had 80% pad life remaining in the front and 85% in the rear (somewhat surprising as the car has PTV+, but I digress). In theory, if these figures are true, and rotors are replaced with every 2 pad replacements, I would have little to be concerned about.

Now, the reason I am concerned is because the Porsche Term Protection plan is available at a reasonable price with pad and rotor replacement. It notes that "carbon/ceramic brake pads and rotors" are excluded, but these are PSCB (tungsten-carbide coated iron rotors). I asked for a copy of the full agreement, but I haven't received it yet. Thus, I am trying to decide whether it is worth purchasing this plan, which I would only do in the event that a brake replacement were an inevitability during the course of my ownership of the vehicle. (If more context would be helpful: I have a lease, where I would expect to return around 50,000 miles, maybe 60,000 miles, unless I fully move out of NYC and return to my 25,000 miles/year prior rate, instead of spending some amount over half the year in NYC - hence why the CPO warranty actually represents some value to me. I may also buy the car off the lease, either in a few months or at the end of the lease - with respect to buying off lease in a few months, I need to review some items in greater detail (including my expected residual value on ownership, etc.), but at least when I was negotiating the lease seemed to make sense and the early pay-off calculations provided sufficient optionality for me to proceed at this time. This is all to say, I'd like to have a reasonable expectation of how long they can last, so I can try to make a reasonable decision.)

I very much appreciate any and all help/guidance/anecdotal evidence that others can provide.

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-13-2023, 06:44 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredsnyc
Hi all - my first post on the forum, officially became a first-time owner yesterday after having Porsches in my family for many years (GT4, Cayenne, etc.). Here's my build for anybody that's curious: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR793HV2

As the car is a 2023 GTS, PSCB are standard. I'm trying to understand the expected lifetime of these brakes (specifically, the rotors). I spoke with the service department at the dealer, and they stated that they have never replaced PSCB rotors due to wear. I have found an anecdotal post on Rennlist that indicates over 60,000 miles of "hard driving" with "a lot of life left on them."

The car that I purchased was a corporate Porsche vehicle (previously untitled - so still considered a "new" car) and had ~10,400 miles on it at the time of purchase, but it went through the CPO process and has the CPO 2-year unlimited mile warranty after new-car is over. For what it's worth (which may be little), the CPO Inspection shows that, at 10,409 miles, the car had 80% pad life remaining in the front and 85% in the rear (somewhat surprising as the car has PTV+, but I digress). In theory, if these figures are true, and rotors are replaced with every 2 pad replacements, I would have little to be concerned about.

Now, the reason I am concerned is because the Porsche Term Protection plan is available at a reasonable price with pad and rotor replacement. It notes that "carbon/ceramic brake pads and rotors" are excluded, but these are PSCB (tungsten-carbide coated iron rotors). I asked for a copy of the full agreement, but I haven't received it yet. Thus, I am trying to decide whether it is worth purchasing this plan, which I would only do in the event that a brake replacement were an inevitability during the course of my ownership of the vehicle. (If more context would be helpful: I have a lease, where I would expect to return around 50,000 miles, maybe 60,000 miles, unless I fully move out of NYC and return to my 25,000 miles/year prior rate, instead of spending some amount over half the year in NYC - hence why the CPO warranty actually represents some value to me. I may also buy the car off the lease, either in a few months or at the end of the lease - with respect to buying off lease in a few months, I need to review some items in greater detail (including my expected residual value on ownership, etc.), but at least when I was negotiating the lease seemed to make sense and the early pay-off calculations provided sufficient optionality for me to proceed at this time. This is all to say, I'd like to have a reasonable expectation of how long they can last, so I can try to make a reasonable decision.)

I very much appreciate any and all help/guidance/anecdotal evidence that others can provide.

Thank you in advance!
I just bought a new 2022 GTS and it has the PCSB brakes. I am buying the term consumables warranty from Porsche because it is considerably cheaper than the replacement cost of those rotors. I think coverage is 6 years 72K mi. No one can predict how long those PCSB rotors will last, as it depends on how hard you drive and probably a number of other factors. You have to add the rotors option when you purchase, and I am told PCCB full ceramic rotors can be covered if you buy "term+" (don't know what that cost). Since Porsche is willing to cover the rotors for 72Kmi, its likely they will last that long under "typical" usage. Exceptions to this may include frequent high performance track schools.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:44 PM
jaredsnyc
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DHL
I just bought a new 2022 GTS and it has the PCSB brakes. I am buying the term consumables warranty from Porsche because it is considerably cheaper than the replacement cost of those rotors. I think coverage is 6 years 72K mi. No one can predict how long those PCSB rotors will last, as it depends on how hard you drive and probably a number of other factors. You have to add the rotors option when you purchase, and I am told PCCB full ceramic rotors can be covered if you buy "term+" (don't know what that cost). Since Porsche is willing to cover the rotors for 72Kmi, it's likely they will last that long under "typical" usage. Exceptions to this may include frequent high performance track schools.
This is what I am considering as well - I suppose I could buy it at any time while under the new car warranty (at least according to the brochure). Interesting on PCCB, I was told the opposite, and the brochure that I received reflects that. I haven't received the actual contract yet, so I cannot review and make a determination - the cancellation provisions are of particular interest to me.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:57 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaredsnyc
This is what I am considering as well - I suppose I could buy it at any time while under the new car warranty (at least according to the brochure). Interesting on PCCB, I was told the opposite, and the brochure that I received reflects that. I haven't received the actual contract yet, so I cannot review and make a determination - the cancellation provisions are of particular interest to me.
Remember also that the term insurance covers those LED headlights as well as belts, hoses and other stuff. Including the labor to install (which can be major in the case of serpentine belts). A battery and a full set of front and rear pads may reach nearly $2K parts and labor. So even if the rotors make it over 60K mi, there is a good chance that other stuff may come close to what you pay for that premium.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:00 AM
ddsRepTarga4S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I just bought a new 2022 GTS and it has the PCSB brakes. I am buying the term consumables warranty from Porsche because it is considerably cheaper than the replacement cost of those rotors. I think coverage is 6 years 72K mi. No one can predict how long those PCSB rotors will last, as it depends on how hard you drive and probably a number of other factors. You have to add the rotors option when you purchase, and I am told PCCB full ceramic rotors can be covered if you buy "term+" (don't know what that cost). Since Porsche is willing to cover the rotors for 72Kmi, its likely they will last that long under "typical" usage. Exceptions to this may include frequent high performance track schools.

Hey Jared, congarts on the purchase.

I feel like we purchased the same identical vehicle in the same identical scenario. I have close to 20K now after 6 months of ownership and some nice hard driving.. I was never offered this term insurance that covers wear and tear items. Would consider it if you can share more info on it. What dealer did you purchase from?

Would be nice to catch you at some local drives, cars and coffee etc.

Last edited by ddsRepTarga4S; 08-14-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:28 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ddsRepTarga4S
Hey Jared, congarts on the purchase.

I feel like we purchased the same identical vehicle in the same identical scenario. I have close to 20K now after 6 months of ownership and some nice hard driving.. I was never offered this term insurance that covers wear and tear items. Would consider it if you can share more info on it. What dealer did you purchase from?

Would be nice to catch you at some local drives, cars and coffee etc.
Addressing me or Jared? My GTS is also Gentian blue.

You can get the info on the term coverage at Porsche's web site. Cost you will have to get directly from a dealer, as Porsche does not quote prices on the website.

Here is a link to the term policy description:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...tionplan/term/

Unfortunately, it does not cover all consumables such as air/oil filters, cabin air filters, spark plugs, fluids. Not that these things are that expensive in and of themselves, but the labor to install them is. You can also get an extended maintanence plan that does cover "consumables" like plugs, fluids, and filters (and the labor tro install them) but its not the term policy. The two big ticket items I was concerned with under the term policy was headlights and brake rotors. It turns out the rotors probably will not wear out in under 72K mi, but those headlights have a lot of motors/gears and moving parts in them, and they are constantly moving while driving at night. The parts guy at my local dealership says these lights can be upwards of $4000 (each!) to replace and they are not covered under the standard manufacturers warranty, extended or not. They are also not likely to be copied by aftermarket sources any time soon.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:48 PM
jaredsnyc
8th Gear

Hi - thank you! - sorry for the delay, I have been traveling for work. I purchased my car from Porsche Huntington (it was a PCNA car). I definitely intend to join some local drives and Cars & Coffees - had a great time with the car yesterday out of the city!
Old 08-29-2023, 12:35 AM
jaredsnyc
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DHL
Remember also that the term insurance covers those LED headlights as well as belts, hoses and other stuff. Including the labor to install (which can be major in the case of serpentine belts). A battery and a full set of front and rear pads may reach nearly $2K parts and labor. So even if the rotors make it over 60K mi, there is a good chance that other stuff may come close to what you pay for that premium.
Originally Posted by DHL
Addressing me or Jared? My GTS is also Gentian blue.

You can get the info on the term coverage at Porsche's web site. Cost you will have to get directly from a dealer, as Porsche does not quote prices on the website.

Here is a link to the term policy description:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...tionplan/term/

Unfortunately, it does not cover all consumables such as air/oil filters, cabin air filters, spark plugs, fluids. Not that these things are that expensive in and of themselves, but the labor to install them is. You can also get an extended maintanence plan that does cover "consumables" like plugs, fluids, and filters (and the labor tro install them) but it's not the term policy. The two big ticket items I was concerned with under the term policy was headlights and brake rotors. It turns out the rotors probably will not wear out in under 72K mi, but those headlights have a lot of motors/gears and moving parts in them, and they are constantly moving while driving at night. The parts guy at my local dealership says these lights can be upwards of $4000 (each!) to replace and they are not covered under the standard manufacturers warranty, extended or not. They are also not likely to be copied by aftermarket sources any time soon.
Great points on why it makes sense.

Quick Reply: PSCB Expected Life - New Purchase